Home
My hunting partner has really gotten into skeet shooting and paid quail hunts. He really wants me to go with him. He bought one of the new FN Winchester 101 Select Field shotguns and it looks great. I'm thinking about getting one. Anyone else shooting one? They come with 26" and 28" barrels. I'm thinking the 28" might be better.
Anyone?
Bump
That should have answered your question.
Well, I got to play with one in the backyard today and I'm gonna buy one. The reviews are very good.
I have the Select Energy 12 ga Sporting Clay 28 inch. It is one of my favorite Shotguns in the Dove Field and I will take it on my next South Dakota Pheasant Hunt. Stock Photo This shotgun is made in Belgium and the Sporting Clay version of the shotgun you are going to purchase.

[Linked Image]
I shot one in Pa. a couple years ago. I shot clays with it and grouse hunted with is as well. I would have to say that it was the best shooting shotgun that I have had the opportunity to shoot. I guess it must have fit me just right, and I must have had the day of my life because I hit nearly everything that I shot at. The guy that I borrowed it from told me that he gets more compliments on that gun than any gun he has ever had. I would buy one in a heart beat if I were not a single income family.
The New Winchester O&U is a Great Shotgun
Great? Really? Why and what makes it great?
Inexpensive, tough, light weight, and made in Europe.
I'm a side by side fan, but the 101 always piqued my interest. I'm looking over the latest version as well. The current Select 101 seems to get positive feedback as a trouble free and good handling O/U which is easy to shoot well.

How much difference are you feeling between the 28" and the 26"?

Best smile
I've only played with the 28" but I wish I could find a 26" to try.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Great? Really? Why and what makes it great?

Try one and shoot it for a while and you want have to ask
So just how many rounds do you have thru it?

For the price and lack of fit and finish I will pass, and that is without getting into the true nuts and bolts of it.

Have shot a few so again what facts do you have to back up your claims?

Edited: Never mind, coming from someone that wants to handicap themselves with a 26" barrel and piss poor balance and dynamics explains it all.
Mine is the Select Energy and has 28 inch ported barrels and has a better finish that the Browning O&U'S and is Equal with my Beretta's O&U'S. I actually prefer a 26 inch barrel but 28 is as short as you can get on the Sporting Clay. It is one of my favorite Dove Guns.
Seems like a hell of a gun for $999.00. The recent production models are much better than the first ones.
again how many rounds have you shot thru one?
Boy the reality is deafening!
Name a better new over and under for the same price.

I know of someone that has 20,000+ rounds through one.
Oh the old I know someone that knows someone that may have heard someone. LMFAO
You've now got me curious, what is your personal experience with the later Select 101s? What trouble are you seeing with durability and QC with this later FN production?? You are talking about an upland field gun aren't you, or are you speaking in terms of a dedicated clays gun like maybe a heavier 625??? There are numerous accounts of many thousands of of shells fired through these later 101s without a hitch, and what few issues are reported seem to be with the earlier versions of the FN builds, not the later.

I did notice that Browning has made an attempt to lighten up the heavier 625 12ga for field use with the newer 725. On paper it seems to be attractive for field use with its less bulk while keeping it steel with the 625 lock design, but I believe it's still a bit more bulky than the latest Select. Most feedback I've seen has the newest 101 12ga carrying and handling like the 625 20 ga. My current favorite field 12ga is an older Silver Hawk side by side which is light and fits me like a glove. When the weight of an O/U gets upwards to 8-pounds with high mounted barrels, I tend to shy away for hunting. On the other hand, a 12ga closer to 7-pounds with lower mounted barrels piques my interest. Not talking dedicated clays, just talking dedicated hunting.

I think everyone is open to some suggested options if you'd care to share.

Thanks smile
I know I'm anxious to hear from someone who knows it all.
I owned one that I won at a local shoot. Played with it for a couple weeks. Like I said fit and finish was pretty bad. To you that may or may not matter. Also what some think of good fit and finish may differ from others.

Shooting, had a bad pattern with every shell I feed it. Now I realize most don't pattern their shotguns. I do. 1oz White Golds had the best pattern which was not impressive to me at all. Tried some heavy loads out if it to see how it would do and things only got ugly fast. Had some leftover Gamebore Buffalo loads ran two boxes thru it. I wouldn't discribe the noise as a rattle but you get the jist.

Gun was tight out of the box but that didn't last long. But never got sloppy loose either. Then again I only shot about 10 flats thru it besides the patterning ammo.

Stock fit very subjective for sure but did not fit me well at all. I made needed adjustments which were major on the LOP and a glue on to get more height on the comb.

My plan as it was a free gun was to keep it for a duck and goose gun. I would have painted it flatblack. However I was really not impressed with it.

I understand a lot of guys grab a shotgun when its hunting season and thats about all the rounds that will go thru it. However I like to shoot and I shoot a lot of birds a year and practice a lot more. 20,000 might sound like a big number to you but in reality for a shotgunner that is nothing. However if that impresses you that is great. It didn't impress me enough to want to keep it so I sold it to a guy at my gun club. Seems it didn't impress him too much either as I believe he kept it maybe a month month and a half before selling it.

Have you taken yours apart? Pretty ugly machining on mine anyways.
Originally Posted by Swampman1
I know I'm anxious to hear from someone who knows it all.

Not a know it all but I do shoot shotguns a lot more then the average guy. Less then the best of them for sure. I know what works and what doesn't. I don't put a price tag on quality. If you ask me what a good gun for xxx$$$$ then I will let you know what I think. But it may or may not be a pump, semi-auto, side by side, or OU. The lower in $$$$ the less likely it will be a SxS or OU. Simple fact that they cost more to make and regulate barrels. So the more likely you'll get a pump or semi-auto for a response from me. Some like to sugar coat things but that's not me. If that in your eyes makes me a bad guy or a know it all then so be it. Bottomline is if $$$ is your allowance for a gun do you want the best gun for it or a specific type action?
That's fair, I now better understand your point of view. I'd be looking at no more than a 1,000 shells a year for my purposes. Keeping my eye out for a light and trim steel 12ga that handles well in the field. The newest 101 and the 725 have caught my eye. Looks like the 101 is running around 1,000 to 1,500 bucks, with the 725 running around 2,000 of so for field models. What say you in a 12ga O/U for under $2,500 that's not a heavy clay gun?

Thanks smile
Gary,

I consider MCH a good friend and I know he is more than a little familiar with good shotguns of all types. He has owned and used them and been around more than a few that do the same. He is one of the most down to earth, straight up individuals you will come across. If he is going to recommend something it will be from first hand experience or seeing what other experienced shotgunners have found to be worth spending your money on.

Fact is the Winchester 101 Select has yet to prove itself over the long run and I think that is part of where he is coming from. Myself I would much rather find one of the original Winchester 101s or one of the later Classic Doubles that are the same with a different name. You pretty much know what you are getting and that is a shotgun that has a history of dependability.

Good luck in your search. 12g a O/Us under $2500 that are not on the heavy side are not found every day. Heavy means they can make them for less. Making them light adds dollars quickly. However, some of the original 101s in 20g may be what you are looking for. Beretta and Browning both make current offerings in the sub-gauge O/Us that may also be worth looking at. Browning also made some O/Us with and aluminum receiver that will more than handle above average use.

A couple examples in 12g:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/90340832...2_ga_2_34_Invector_Plus_26_EXCELLENT.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/97654403...ning_Citori_SUPERLIGHT_Feather_12_NE.htm

And one in 20ga:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/93544195...WNING_CYNERGY_FEATHERWEIGHT_20_GAUGE.htm

Honestly that is a tough price point for a well made functioning double. I personally would wait and save a little extra coin and go for the Caeser Guerini Woodlander for $3100.00.

I have been very impressed with this gun. Have shot it for about 4 months now, its not mine but I shoot it like I own it! Have two buddies with them. 1 is a 12ga 28" and the other is a 20ga 30". Yes the 20ga is my favorite.

The sub $3k and under market is very weak in options in my opinion. If CSMC would produce a plain jane OU keeping it simple 28" and 30" barrels and in 12ga and 20ga with plain wood at $2500 or under they would strike gold.
Wow Battue thank you. Not sure what to say but that was very nice of you.

Now lets all just get out there and shoot some shells!
The original 101s are about the hardest kicking O/U shotguns ever made. If that's what you want then they are fine. I avoid Jap made guns.
The original 101s are about the hardest kicking O/U shotguns ever made. If that's what you want then they are fine. I avoid Jap made guns.

Seems to be a rumor that used to go around that I tried to confirm, but perhaps I'm just built funny and they kicked me pretty much the same as anything else.

Why no love for the Japanese offerings?
I just don't like them. I prefer a shotgun made in Europe or the US.
Browning along with Howa rifles also?

Phil Bourjaily has been around more than a few good shotguns and on this tour of the Miroku facility found many similarities between the old world European ways and what was going on at the Miroku factory. I.E. hand fitting, barrel regulation and attention to detail.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photo...pan-factory-tour?photo=0#node-1001384352

I still have an old 101 its never beat me up. They ain't pretty thats for sure, but seem to hold up well.
No use for Jap made Brownings, Howas, or Weatherbys. They may be wonderful, I just don't like them. I ended up buying a Beretta.
The Super Pigeon and Grand European grades could often make one turn their head.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/91777302...r_101_Super_Grade_Pigeon_grade_20ga.htm#

http://www.gunsamerica.com/93537997...ropean_Featherweight_Field_O_U_20ga.htm#

I let a Ruffed Grouse Society special unfortunately slip through my hands.

Essentially this gun, with much nicer wood.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/93134180...AL_12_Gauge_Shotgun_in_Factory_Case.htm#
No use for Jap made Brownings, Howas, or Weatherbys. They may be wonderful, I just don't like them. I ended up buying a Beretta.

I've felt the same about a few women and realized my mistake much later.
Yeah but don't you also think a K80 is a good looking gun? smile
Nothing wrong with being a little stout. grin
Haha
I have hunted and shot sporting clays for years with both a 20 and 12 gauge in Pigeon Featherweight. They have 26 inch barrels, vented between the barrels, English grip and they point and shoot nicely. The checkering, however, looks like I may have done it, but other than that, extremely nice guns for range or field...

[Linked Image]
Battue this is more my style for the field. New Classic Ithica NID 4E 20ga

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Shrapnel and MCH:

Very nice on all three.

I've done the deed with the nice ones. Beat them up along with breaking them. Today I lean more to the "rustic", but can still appreciate the good looking ones.

Then:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now:

[Linked Image]

This Winchester 59 started out almost virgin and quickly has gone rustic. Although the older Winchesters never were known for a lasting finish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Battue the pictures hide the damage done from hunting chukar in ID. If you look close you can see some of it. Anyways they were made to be used in my opinion. If I can't shoot it and hunt with it then it really isn't of much use to me.

I don't own a single gun that hasn't killed something, regardless of the value or condition, but sometimes even an ugly gun needs a date...

[Linked Image]]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/103_0077.jpg[/img]
Cool pics guys.
Shrapnel I don't see any ugly guns just an ugly guy! LOL just kidding good pictures.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Honestly that is a tough price point for a well made functioning double. I personally would wait and save a little extra coin and go for the Caeser Guerini Woodlander for $3100.00.

I have been impressed with this gun. Have shot it for about 4 months now, its not mine but I shoot it like I own it! Have two buddies with them. 1 is a 12ga 28" and the other is a 20ga 30". Yes the 20ga is my favorite.

The sub $3k and under market is very weak in options in my opinion. If CSMC would produce a plain jane OU keeping it simple 28" and 30" barrels and in 12ga and 20ga with plain wood at $2500 or under they would strike gold.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd been eyeballing the Caeser Guerini for a while now as I kept seeing good write ups in the yearly shotgun reviews with Outdoor Life. I just never took the plunge with an O/U as I've always loved the handling of my old Silver Hawk 12ga. I've been saving for a replacement and was willing to pay a bit more to find something that would work as well, but my hitch was that I wanted a steel gun that was as light, mine is a tad over 7-pounds. One of my hunting partners is a Guild Member smiths and is a dealer who likes the CSMC shotguns that went through his shop. He recently sold a nice RBL that was priced within reach, but they are near a pound heavier than my original Silver Hawk. There is also an old Victor Sarasqueta 12ga that was ordered and fitted for a late family member back in the 60's still in the family. This seems to be a well made gun that is all fancied up in excellent shape, but it is currently in the hands of another family member out of state. He has it on display in a friend's fine gun shop. I've been debating working out a deal for this shotgun as it may fit my bill, but I've been in no hurry as it's not going anywhere.

Hence, I noticed the Browning 725 and Select 101 which piqued my interest as they were not too expensive, made of steel and are light in 12ga. Other than a few hardcore clay guys, such as yourself, most of the feedback I'd seen from field use seemed to be overwhelmingly positive. Was thinking they'd make a cost effective gateway gun over to an O/U. Otherwise, the guys I run with tend to think I should stick with side by sides and just bide my time to find the right gun.

Mine is still in good shape and has more years of service left, but like most everyone else, I'd like to get something new and shiny to use for a while. Nothing wrong with 20ga, my bud hunts with a woderful handling L.C. Smith 20ga which makes me smile to mount, but I've just always used 12ga and am stuck in my misguided ways. In fact, I just came inside from starting an acid tan pickle bath for the rabbit hides just taken with my Silver Hawk. The rabbits are in a brine and will hit the grill tomorrow stuffed with jalapeno's and vadalias with a bacon wrap. My 12ga just aint quite as pretty as she once was, but she still feels the same when afield and results in plenty of joy.

Best smile
Are you sure about the Silverhawk being a pound lighter then the RBL? Could very well be but I wouldn't just go by weight. It maybe balanced very well at a pound heavier. Where they both 28" barreled guns?

I own a silverhawk and have owned several RBL's. I like them both but I sold the RBL's because it was going to be too much to get them to fit me properly. The Silverhawk has a custom stock on it already. If it were not for having sentimental value I wouldn't have spent the coin on the Silverhawk stock. I have somewhere around 30K thru the Silverhawk and am not sure the round count before it was given to me. Mine is a 1969 model and its still going strong.
My Silver Hawk is just over 7-pounds weighed on a scale. I don't have an accurate ounce scale here now where I'm at, but when it was weighed, I recall it was no more than an ounce or two over 7-pounds. The RBL had the same barrel length and was an ounce or two under 8-pounds. My Silver Hawk has excellent balance and carrys very well. I've never had the chance to carry and handle an RBL many hours over several days, but in my mind, the extra weight was still there over and above what I've grown accustomed. When I've hunted with the friend with the nice 20ga, we have exchanged guns to test, and both he and I feel that mine carrys well as his.

I'm not a snobbish individual by any means as I tend to get one thing that works well and run it till the wheels fall off. I'm not into the glitz and glimmer stuff. But at some point I'm going to pull the trigger on purchasing another good field double so I can give the other to my oldest. I jumped into this thread because I respect input from you guys.

Best smile

Edited Note: I don't have much knowledge about the RBL, so maybe with the differences in stock wood, barrel thickness, options and such, there may be a fair weight swing between different RBL 12ga builds. The one I referenced may have been a heavy one whereas another could be had lighter. I'll look into that further, as they seem to be very nice guns.
So do you want an OU or side by side? Tony may work with you on an RBL getting it into a weight you would be happy with. If you want an OU I would look at the Caeser but if you were willing to go up a little more in price then a Zoli would be my first choice. But again for $3K I do like the Caeser Woodlander very much.
Thanks, PM sent smile
© 24hourcampfire