Home
Is there anything easier that just plain elbow grease? My patches say the barrel is clean but it looks like plastic wad residue is still present. Any tips or tricks? Thanks.
This works. Brownells Shotgun Wad Solvent and a bronze bore brush. I'm sure there are other solutions but I have had no reason to go past this one.
I've put a bronze bore brush in a drill before if it get too bad. Use solvent and a glove. They get hot quick.
Drill, wire brush wrapped with steel wool, holds the bore cleaner better. Drill like hell.
Wow, never had to go so far as to get the drill out. With a really heavy buildup it's taken two or three solvent-soak-brush cycles with the Brownells stuff to get it all out. My shotguns and the ones I do regularly get the treatment regularly and it all blows out with about three brush passes. Regular use seems to keep the plastic from sticking so tightly. Now choke tubes may take a little extra scraping with a piece of brass.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Wow, never had to go so far as to get the drill out. With a really heavy buildup it's taken two or three solvent-soak-brush cycles with the Brownells stuff to get it all out. My shotguns and the ones I do regularly get the treatment regularly and it all blows out with about three brush passes. Regular use seems to keep the plastic from sticking so tightly. Now choke tubes may take a little extra scraping with a piece of brass.

Your not shooting enough!!
Acetone.
Originally Posted by passport
Your not shooting enough!!

You've got that right, looks like that'll change this year.
For some reason the .410 chokes seem to be the worst. Both with Briley and Kolar. Plastic buildup changes the impact more than the other ones too...that's pretty understandable though.
I've taken to using brake cleaner and a bronze brush.
You'll want to remove the barrel when using brake cleaner as it will damage even the epoxy stock finishes.
Spray the bore with brake clean and brush it before it evaporates. With a patch and jag in the bore spray it with break clean and swab the bore.

It doesn't take me ten minutes to get wad residue out of any of my shotguns, even the Rem 11 with mildly pitted bore.

Also, don't use any kind of plastic brushes or patch jags. Break cleaner will degrade them to the point of making them brittle.

Automotive carburator/choke cleaner will take out plastic residue. You need to use it in a well ventilated area, and also you have to oil the bore afterward as it will leave it completely dry. Carb/choke cleaner can also ruin certain stock finishes and melt some plastic parts, so use it carefully.
Acetone, drill, green scrubbing pad
© 24hourcampfire