Home
Posted By: Pewi steelshot - 07/10/13
Hey!
I own an Ithaca 37, manufactured in 1954 and a Rem 870, manufactured in 1976. Can I shoot them with steelshot?
Posted By: Redneck Re: steelshot - 07/10/13
Originally Posted by Pewi
Hey!
I own an Ithaca 37, manufactured in 1954 and a Rem 870, manufactured in 1976. Can I shoot them with steelshot?
NO - unless and until they're fitted with choke tubes to allow cylinder or IC chokes.. Mod might be ok, but I'd begin a pattern with cylinder or IC and see what that bring you for patterns... Under no circumstances should you go tighter than modified..

I'm betting both those you listed have fixed, full chokes.. DO NOT use steel shot in those barrels..
Posted By: Pewi Re: steelshot - 07/14/13
Thanks for your answer. My Ithaca has a modified choke, my Rem 870 a full choke. I will stick to lead shot.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: steelshot - 07/20/13
Originally Posted by Pewi
Hey!
You can shoot the Remington with steel shot up to #2 steel. Remington has approved steel shot use in their post 1960 single barrel shot guns with full chokes. Remington has been saying this since the beginning of the steel shot mandate here in the US. Stick with #2 steel in the Remington and you will be fine.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: steelshot - 07/20/13
PS: redneck has been misinforming people on the Remington for years. Even though he has been informed of Remington's steel shot policy multiple times. Why he would continue to mislead people on the Remington is unknown.
Posted By: quackaddict Re: steelshot - 07/22/13
I've got a 12ga Wingmaster that is old enough to say " 2 3/4" or shorter" on the bbl. Fixed mod. I've shot lots of stel out oftat gun and haven't had any issues from it. It's a bird killing SOB.
© 24hourcampfire