Home
Posted By: obewan JV Needham or SKB100 - 07/26/14
G'day folks, I've found two nice sxs 12g shotguns and would like some opinions.
Firstly the JV Needham is a Challenger 2 nitro proof 2-3/4. Very nice timber, prince of Wales grip, locks up nice and tight. Nice feeling gun if not a tad on the heavy side. Fore end is a little loose, but overall it's in very good nick for a gun it's age. I understand that these later Needhams where manufactured by Greener?

Second is an SKB100. It's kinda the polar opposite to the old English girl but it appeals to me. Condition is very good, it's a little lighter than the Needham, wood is plainer, but it has a single trigger which I think could go in it's favour as both my other guns are single trigger.
More of a utility gun than the Needham but it comes up nice (maybe even better than the Needham) and fits me nice. It's also a couple of hundred cheaper.

Thoughts please?

Cheers, Scott.

Posted By: bangeye Re: JV Needham or SKB100 - 07/26/14
Never seen a Needham but have owned a couple of SKBs. Dollar for dollar they are probable the best value out there in a sxs to shoot and hunt with. I don't know what you are going to pay but usually the skb 100s are in the $700-$800 range depending on the gage and condition here in the US. If the price is in line I don't think you will ever lose money on one. I regret selling both of mine. Do watch where the scolloped butt meets the action as if there is a weak point to them it is they reportedly sometimes crack there but I have personally never seen one actually with a crack. I vote SKB
Posted By: obewan Re: JV Needham or SKB100 - 07/27/14
Thanks Bangeye. The SKB is $950 aust. So probably about right price wise, also they're not that common out here, in fact it's the first one I've ever seen.

Still tossing up, classic English gun, or solid reliable Japanese gun.

My Japanese Miroku U/O has been a Stella gun so far.... Hmmmm decisions...

Cheers, Scott.
Posted By: basdjs Re: JV Needham or SKB100 - 07/27/14
I don't know anything about the Needham, but I've hunted everything from doves to pheasant to waterfowl with my SKB500 O/U for about 40 years and it's never failed me. One of my buddies uses the SKB100 and has had the same experience. SKB's are a quality shotgun.
Posted By: obewan Re: JV Needham or SKB100 - 07/30/14
Well folks, I ended up stumbling across a Greener box lock in lovely condition. Mirror bores and tight lock up. Deposit has been placed..... I've emailed Greener for more info on it...

Stay tuned.

Cheers, Scott.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: JV Needham or SKB100 - 07/31/14
You are going to like that a LOT better than your earlier choice... nothing against them but a true, old, hand made, classic from one of the oldest makers in the world is just something special.
Posted By: obewan Re: JV Needham or SKB100 - 07/31/14
Originally Posted by lovemy99
You are going to like that a LOT better than your earlier choice... nothing against them but a true, old, hand made, classic from one of the oldest makers in the world is just something special.

Thanks Drew, yep it's a lovely feeling gun. There's definitely something about it that put it ahead of the other two. It's costing me more but I figure buy once, cry once!

Cheers, Scott.
Posted By: Mesa Re: JV Needham or SKB100 - 08/04/14
My main argument for the SKB would have been PARTS and repairs.

At least in the USA, you will love an old classic handmade double right up to the point where something breaks. Then you have two great hurdles: 1) finding a gunsmith who actually can and will do the work correctly, and 2) paying for it after the (usually) long wait.

SKBs don't break and even if they did, parts are available and don't need to be fabricated.

Hope the situation is better in Oz!
Posted By: obewan Re: JV Needham or SKB100 - 08/06/14
I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it Mike. A mate of mines got the same model but 30 years older and it's seen a lot more rounds by the look of it and it's still going strong. Hopefully mine keeps on shootin long after I'm gone!

Cheers, Scott.
© 24hourcampfire