Home
Posted By: Boyd45 SKB - 08/17/14
In the market for a light 12 ga & saw some SKB 520's on sale. Anyone have experience (good or bad) with this model? Are they recoil operated or gas guns? Tx.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: SKB - 08/17/14
What kind of money are you looking to spend? Don't know much about the SKB but I've seen some great guns lately looking for a 20 ga for my daughter. Perhaps I could send you some links if I knew more about your budget and intended use.
Posted By: basdjs Re: SKB - 08/17/14
I've been shooting SKB O/U's for many years but don't own one of their semi's. I don't recall ever seeing this model. Are you sure it's not a Franchi?
Posted By: Boyd45 Re: SKB - 08/17/14
I am familiar w/ the model 48, but this is something different. A model 520, which I have never heard of. This is to be a light 12 for doves & may be pheasant (in both weight and shell size-2 3/4), & I am looking to go cheap ($400, max). I have an SKB in 20 ga. that weighs about 6 & 1/2 pounds, and has never given me any trouble. They made both long recoil and gas guns in semi-autos. Tx.
You are correct-it is a Franchi, NOT an SKB.
Not familiar with that Franchi but the AL 48 has a long history and is well liked if you can find one in that range. You might find a Weatherby SA-08 in that range as well. It's made in Turkey but has had very good reviews.
Thanks. Will have a look.
You might find any number of fairly good guns in that price range. 1100. 1187's model 12's model 37's but I don't consider any of them particularly light.
Posted By: Boyd45 Re: SKB - 08/18/14
RH: Actually have an Ithaca 37 in 12 ga that works fine, but sometimes those dove move a little faster than I can pump-reason for the semi auto. And while my 20 is OK for the season opener, they smarten up right quick and put on their oxygen masks. So as the season moves forward, I am feathering rather than killing birds. And a 12 or a 16 should help.
© 24hourcampfire