Home
Posted By: sherp Winchoke question - 08/31/14
Switching from Accuchoke concealed tubes to Winchoke external and was wondering if the Winchoke can be finger tightened liek many of the aftermarket extend tubes?

If not, is there a hardware store spanner wrench size that will work or is the Winchester the only way to go?
Posted By: bea175 Re: Winchoke question - 08/31/14
I use the extended chokes in most of my shotguns and only finger tighten them . I use the extended Win Chokes in my sporting clay Win O&U and only finger tighten.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sherp Re: Winchoke question - 08/31/14
Will try that...or at least try it and run a feeler in(finger or an actual gauge) and see if there is a gap versus the accuchoke I have a wrench for. Looking at it, the accu wrench looks to have about the same gripping area as the exterior part of the Winchoke. The Winchester manual mentioned finishing the installation with the wrench, but then warns against over tightening which would seem to be easy to due considering their wrench would seem to create a near cheater bar scenario.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Winchoke question - 08/31/14
Hand tight should be fine but keep a cheak on it as some tubes loosen easily and you don't want that. I use extended chokes and most have a notch for a wrench. I use the closed blade on my sodbuster jr. to keep them tight and to loosen. It wouldn't hurt to put a dab of anti seize compound on the threads so they stay nice and clean, it keeps residues from powder from building up on the threads. Seized choke tubes are very common.
Posted By: sherp Re: Winchoke question - 08/31/14
I don't think the Winchester chokes have notches in them. If it does when it arrives then the "wrench" from my Mossberg tube set can handle it.

Have always used some form of anti-seize on the tubes, but recently started using Shell moly lube I bought last fall to stand some chance of using most of it in my lifetime. smile
Posted By: bea175 Re: Winchoke question - 09/01/14
I always use Choke Tube Lube on the threads
© 24hourcampfire