Home
Posted By: dvdegeorge Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/04/14
I was given by my uncle my grandfather's 1953 Ithaca 37 16 ga modified featherlight.Unfortunately it wasn't cared for after grandpa passed in 1966. When I received it this June it was rusted pitted and you couldn't even open the action, along with scratches,dings and gouges in the stock.If it wasn't my grandfathers and someone tried to give it to me I would have said "thanks but no thanks"
Being that it was my grandfathers prized shotgun that my grandmother bought for him by saving a penny here and a dime there( he actually cried when she gave it to him)
I decided to have it restored. I brought it to Frank at Sycamore Hill Designs http://www.sycamorehilldesigns.com/
It wasn't cheap,I'm sure I paid far more than the guns monetary worth but you can't put a price tag on some things.
All metal stripped blasted and reblued, engravings retouched,stock and fore end repaired and refinished.
The gun looks and functions like the day my grandmother presented it to grandpa
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: msj348 Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/04/14
Beautiful gun! That's one of the best restorations I've seen.
Posted By: mart Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/04/14
Outstanding restoration! I have my Dad's Ithaca 37 20 gauge about the same vintage. Great old guns.
Posted By: battue Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/04/14
Well done on everyones part!!!! I'm thinking it is probably better than the day it came out of the box.

Had one of those but gave it to a Bird Dog trainer friend who did some starter work for me on a young Dog. It was worth it, but now wish I had it back.

Funny thing it was years ago and I forgot I had given it to him and a couple years ago started to look for it and went thru the house more than a few times looking and finally gave up. I mentioned it to another friend and he said you gave it to Gary about 15 years ago for getting Abby off and running. "You sure?" One day we were hunting together and I asked him about it and that is how it left the house.

Well done, now get some scratches on it. A big spring gobbler would be nice. wink
Beautiful 16 ga. That ga. and the Ithaca 37 were extremely popular with my clan of cousins when I was a kid.. I think most of theirs were probably full choke.. Wonderful guns.. My first pump was a 20ga. bought from my uncle for $60. Long gone now..
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/04/14
Frank did say it was a bit rare for a modified barrel as most were full
Posted By: Mesa Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/04/14
Super old gun, and I love it when somebody takes the time and $$$ to put a sentimental favorite back in action. BRAVO!

(You will find that this is a superior bird killer!).
Posted By: RufusG Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/05/14
Great story, great gun. Looks like they did a spectacular job.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/05/14
Have the same modified choked gun I picked up off gunbroker a couple years ago. Refinished the stock myself, need to have the metal done as the receiver has some pitting. Yours is truly beautiful.

I got my first Ithaca (a 20 guage, 1953 as well) about 10 years ago, and really love using them on birds-

No matter its metal condition, it still kills wild Kansas pheasants just fine-

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/05/14
Damn, nice job! I'm not sure the year of mine but about the same I think. Mine is 16ga with full choke.
Posted By: Roundup Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/05/14
I still have my Ithaca Mdl 37 16 ga. purchased in Baker, Oregon in 1972. It has a 28" barrel originally full choke but since opened to modified. Shot extremely tight patterns. Has the "Raybar" front sight and impress checkering on the stock and forend. Use mostly 6 and 7 1/2 shot anymore. Used primarily for occasional forays for grouse, chukar and pheasants.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/05/14
I have a 1948 edition of the Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge modified. It doesn't look as nice as the fully restored gun, but it is a great shooter. I need to epoxy the cracks at the top of the stock's wrist, but otherwise it is good to go. I walked out of a pawn shop three years ago with it for $235 and it even had a left hand safety already installed.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/06/14
I have it's indentical twin my Grandad gave me as payment for plowing for him when I was 13. Mine was also in poor shape when I got it and I used it for my first refinishing project in gunsmith school. I had to restock mine as the buttstock was spilt and oil soaked beyond repair. Someone well before my time was unhappy with the full choke and sent it out to have a polychoke fitted so I trimmed it back to 27" and installed screw in tubes. Funny thing is I'd bought three tubes and put the light modified in to test fire it, never took it out and have shot Dove, quail, pheasant, ruffed grouse, spruce grouse, and ptarmigan with it. It's one of my most cherished possessions.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/06/14
Great restoration job on a fine old shotgun. My son has his great-grandfathers Ithaca 37 in 20 gauge - great shotguns.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/09/14
Took her out for a pheasant hunt this afternoon. I'm extremely pleased with how well it shoots!Had one rooster get up real close and blew the head clean off!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MWN Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/12/14
As a young man just out of the service my father bought a Model 37 16 gauge in 1948. I still have it and regard it as a link to my late father. When I go out on the occasional preserve pheasant hunt over dogs I take it and it carries well and is quick handling. Also shoot a round or two of 5-Stand with it every couple months. It functions very reliably.

These were well made shotguns and a very good design.
Posted By: johnw Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/12/14
Very well done, on all counts...
Posted By: RufusG Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/12/14
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I'm extremely pleased with how well it shoots!

Looks like the pheasants would disagree!

(Be careful laying that nice bluing on a bloody bird.)
Posted By: 300Savage Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/20/14
That was a beautifull restoration job on your Model 37. I have seen so many bad reblues with over buffing that your smith stands out as a true craftsman. Beautiful gun, enjoy.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 10/30/14
great restoration those 16ga 37's are an extension of you they fly to your shoulder ready for whatever needed i got 2 my dads old gun which has seen double duty shooting deer and small game and one i picked up early in life just incase i didn't get the first gun
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 07/08/15
I know this thread is a little old, but that is a sweet shotgun. Nice restoration.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 07/23/15
Glad you bumped it. I missed it last fall.

Great restoration, and I love reading about a family heirloom being given the love it deserves. Breaking it in on a pile of roosters was perfect.
Posted By: DMc Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 07/24/15
Wow! Good on you for restoring and saving that shotgun!

Says a lot about Sycamore Hill Designs also!

DMc
Posted By: duckster Re: Ithaca 37 1953 16ga. - 07/31/15
Beautiful shotgun. I would love a old 16 gauge.
© 24hourcampfire