Home
Posted By: zeke612 New Browning A5 problems - 01/05/15
My son has a new A5. The gun has seen a lot of use (purchased new in Oct of this year) but has started to cycle very slow & at times not cycle at all. He has kept it clean. Looking for suggestions or possibly hint on something he might check.

Anyone else had this or heard of this problem with the new A5's?
Posted By: Odessa Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/05/15
With any semi-auto shotgun the action spring in the buttstock can slow the action down in very cold weather when the grease/powder residue build up and act like a brake. I've experienced it with both an original Auto-5 and a Benelli M-2. Remove the buttstock and the action spring, clean the spring and the interior of the action spring tube. G96 is a cleaner and light lube that works well in very cold temps. (don't put grease back in the tube).
Posted By: fats Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/05/15
Odessa is pointing you in the right direction. Simple cleaning, and, or changing your gun oil should get it running again.
Posted By: zeke612 Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/06/15
Thank You Odessa & Fats
Posted By: Redneck Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/08/15
Also ensure the friction piece and spring do not have their gaps lined up and, in cold weather keep the magazine tube exterior surface either totally dry or use a few drops of synthetic oil on it for the moving parts..
Posted By: JOG Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/12/15
No friction piece in a "new" A5, unless it's a new old A5...
Posted By: RickBin Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/12/15
No buttstock spring in an old A5 either.

If it's an old one, a wipe down of the outside of the mag tube, and make sure your friction rings are properly installed.

I don't know squat about the new A5's, but my Benelli M2 was getting ready to get tripped due to crappy cycling, until I did a little research and discovered the action spring in the buttstock issue, which has now been addressed.

The jury is still out on the M2, but I swear if it doesn't pan out, I am going back to my trusty Belgium A5's and calling it a career.

I love those old humpbacks!
Posted By: JOG Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/12/15
Old A5's have an action spring.
Posted By: RickBin Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/13/15
Yes they do. MY mistake. Brain-farted.
Posted By: JOG Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/14/15
I thought maybe it was a trick. wink

Alzheimer's disease is not forgetting where you left the car keys - it's forgetting what car keys are for.
Posted By: Odessa Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/14/15
Originally Posted by RickBin

Me too!
Posted By: MOGC Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/15/15
Originally Posted by Odessa

Me too!

Me Three ...
Posted By: Redneck Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/15/15
Interesting that a local guy has run a few 100 straight on trap using an old A-5... smile
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/15/15
I had to sell all my shotguns except the old humpbacks because I couldn't hit anything with them. Been shooting the Brownings so long nothing else feels right.
We should have a picture thread? A new thread of older Auto Five pictures, maybe some hunting pics and stories? Hint...
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/15/15
Sweet Lips is in the background.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RickBin Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/15/15
[Linked Image]

Sweet Sixteen south of the border.
[Linked Image]

Life doesn't suck with a Belgium A5 and a good springer spaniel!
[Linked Image]

Light Twelve and a limit of redheads in the Mojave.
Rick, I can see you handle your A5's with skill! Excellent pictures...

Crow, more pics of that humpback please!
Posted By: MOGC Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/16/15
My 1968 Belgian Light Twenty...

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/16/15
No buttstock spring in an old A5 either.

If it's an old one, a wipe down of the outside of the mag tube, and make sure your friction rings are properly installed.

I don't know squat about the new A5's, but my Benelli M2 was getting ready to get tripped due to crappy cycling, until I did a little research and discovered the action spring in the buttstock issue, which has now been addressed.

The jury is still out on the M2, but I swear if it doesn't pan out, I am going back to my trusty Belgium A5's and calling it a career.

There are replacement SS action springs available.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-SRMSCSSA
Posted By: Odessa Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/18/15
Damn Ric, that's a bunch of pheasant!

My Japanese Invector Magnum Twelve Auto-5 waterfowl gun on the pier - Pamlico River with Shelly.

[Linked Image]
Me and my Japanese Light Twelve in a swamp near the Tar River - morning hunt for Woodies back in late November.

[Linked Image]
My Belgian Auto-5 16 gauge standard and dove from a morning shoot in September 2011.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MOGC Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/18/15
Some great pictures!
Posted By: jimy Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/18/15
I have two "Sweet Sixteens" one with a vent rib one without, and "sweet" describes them to a tee!
Originally Posted by MOGC
We should have a picture thread? A new thread of older Auto Five pictures, maybe some hunting pics and stories? Hint...

my old A5, 3" Mag. Hastings barrel.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: zeke612 Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/26/15
There are some really great pictures here, I wish Mannlicher's A5 was in my closet.

Update on the original post. My son is sending the gun in for repair tomorrow. He finished duck season with his old 11-87.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/26/15
We used them in Argentina for many thousands of rounds in 4 days without a glitch.

They are warranted for 100,000 rounds. Yours is probably simply dirty.

Posted By: CrowRifle Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/26/15
Bird hunt from Friday morning. My 20 gauge.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MOGC Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/27/15
Sweetness!
Posted By: zeke612 Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/28/15
[quote=rcamuglia]We used them in Argentina for many thousands of rounds in 4 days without a glitch.

They are warranted for 100,000 rounds. Yours is probably simply dirty.

[/quote

As stated in the opening post, the gun is clean.

Taken down re-cleaned making sure that the original stuff that browning uses was gone, then lightly lubed as recomended......several times

There is something wrong with it...
Posted By: jimy Re: New Browning A5 problems - 01/28/15
The only problem I've ever had with mine came after a goose hunt ind an all day driving rain, after a shot the gun would not cycle, my uncle who was in the next blind had the same experience.
After tearing both guns down we found that both of them had the roll pin that holds the main spring jn the stock had been torn out of one side of the retaining tube, the plastic plug was lodged at a 45 degree angle.
The fix was as simple as re drilling the hole and adding a new roll pin, we figure that hydraulic pressure from the driving rain had built up in the action and upon firing the guns it tore the weakest link out.
Posted By: JOG Re: New Browning A5 problems - 02/03/15

The A5 is a girl's gun. wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MOGC Re: New Browning A5 problems - 02/04/15
Originally Posted by JOG

The A5 is a girl's gun. wink

[Linked Image]

Tell her that... yikes! smile
© 24hourcampfire