Home
Posted By: kenacp Old model 12 - 09/09/15
I have a buddy that needed some cash and had an old shotgun to sell, so I helped out. The old Winchester is from the 30's, 12ga. 32" full choke ,plain barrel. It is in poor condition,10% blue, light pitting on the rec., barrel has more. Internals are good,bore is like new.
I took it all apart for a good cleaning and found something pretty cool! While trying to remove the stock bolt, something was stuffed in the hole.... fished out a piece of cotton...then a folded up piece of paper. A 1933 resident hunting license issued in 1932 for $1.00. I'm sure the guy on the license was the original owner.How cool!!!
Question-- Should I polish out some of the pitting and have it coated with ceracoat or some other finish or just leave it?
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Old model 12 - 09/09/15
It's eighty-some years old and has a neat story. Enjoy it as it is.

Take it all down, thoroughly clean every single part, lube appropriately and shoot/hunt that shotgun. Keep it clean and wiped down here after. Wouldn't dream of polishing it or cerakoting it, as anything short of a full scale professional restoration will frankly look like crap. In contrast, a cleaned up old firearm with a lot of patina, but otherwise clean, is a beautiful thing. Particularly the one you have.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Old model 12 - 09/10/15
Originally Posted by sandcritter
It's eighty-some years old and has a neat story. Enjoy it as it is.

Take it all down, thoroughly clean every single part, lube appropriately and shoot/hunt that shotgun. Keep it clean and wiped down here after. Wouldn't dream of polishing it or cerakoting it, as anything short of a full scale professional restoration will frankly look like crap. In contrast, a cleaned up old firearm with a lot of patina, but otherwise clean, is a beautiful thing. Particularly the one you have.

I've got to agree with that.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Old model 12 - 09/10/15
My Old Model 12 16 ga from the 1920's. I just left it the way it was when I acquired it. 25 full choke with the short chamber. I use the B&P 2.5 INCH Shells in it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kenacp Re: Old model 12 - 09/10/15
Thanks for the replies on the refinishing. I like an old gun patina,but this one has none-looks like a gun in the white.
How do I measure the chamber for length? What year did they standardize 2 3/4"? Thanks
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Old model 12 - 09/10/15
Leave it.. Sounds like a great gun...
Posted By: bea175 Re: Old model 12 - 09/10/15
Originally Posted by kenacp

How do I measure the chamber for length? What year did they standardize 2 3/4"? Thanks
It was after 1927 when they started the 2 &3/4 chamber

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...auges/shotgun-chamber-gauge-prod593.aspx
Posted By: gunut Re: Old model 12 - 09/14/15
all 12ga model 12s have a 2 3/4in chamber....except for the 3in duck gun.....
Posted By: kenacp Re: Old model 12 - 09/14/15
What determines the 3in duck gun....?
Posted By: Odessa Re: Old model 12 - 09/15/15
Originally Posted by kenacp
What determines the 3in duck gun....?

A 12 gauge Model 12 with a 3" chamber was marketed as a "Heavy Duck" shotgun.
© 24hourcampfire