Home
Just got a early 1980's Wingmaster 20 qa. with Imp cyl and Mod barrels[28"]. Will these barrels shoot steel safely? Thanks.

Should add: Pretty much for Pheasant where non-lead is required.
I had one built in 1974.It started as a full choke,but I had it reamed to a modified choke(that was what was recommended at the time) so I could shoot steel shot.I never had any issues with it other than I liked lead shot much better than steel.I would say you should not have any problem.I think they passed the steel shot law in 1983.
About 25 years I got a used M870 12 ga. , it came with 2 extra barrels. It is a 1980's shotgun.
Later on, when I was interested Trap shooting, got a 30" full choke barrel. Over the years
I have shot nearly any shell marked 12 ga and 2-3/4" without a problem. Lead, steel, anything.
Back in the day a man could get a box of low brass 8 or 9 shot for $2 and I fired tons of it.
The Rem 870 Wingmaster is a winner.
You got a great gun.
Sure will. It will shoot a modified pattern from the IC barrel and a FC pattern from the mod bbl.
A bit of an update. Called Remington and gave them the S/N and same questions. It's a 1975 Wingmaster! Good news is, they said no problem shooting steel/non-toxic thru Mod or Imp Cyl in my gun! Happy friggin' days! Being it's my Birthday today, this is fantastic news! Yippee! Time for another beer or two.
Gotta love those older wingmasters, slicker than snot. Re-finished my grandpa's old 1950's wingmaster with a rust blue and like new IC non-vent rib barrel last winter. Took my first rooster with it this morning.
Originally Posted by rifletom
A bit of an update. Called Remington and gave them the S/N and same questions. It's a 1975 Wingmaster! Good news is, they said no problem shooting steel/non-toxic thru Mod or Imp Cyl in my gun! Happy friggin' days! Being it's my Birthday today, this is fantastic news! Yippee! Time for another beer or two.

Good luck finding 2 3/4" steel shot shells...
My local sportsman's warehouse carries Rio Blue Steel in 2 3/4" 20 ga.

Picking up my first Wingmaster today from the FFL. An old 16 ga model with a corn cob stock. Should be fun.

Originally Posted by TexasTBag

Picking up my first Wingmaster today from the FFL. An old 16 ga model with a corn cob stock. Should be fun.

Please post a pic of that gun. Im looking for the same gun myself.
I should have it in my hands tonight.

There are a few on Gunbroker right now.
I know but none are very nice. Kinda looking for a really nice one
Than you'll probably not like mine. It had a recoil pad and poly choke added.

It was cheap and I like odd shotguns.

[Linked Image]
Like it? Hell I LOVE it! Sans poly its perfect! Where did you find it? Its sweet
I found it on gunbroker. That pic is from the ad, it looks good, can't wait to shoot it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=518996357
It will crush roosters
Nice price for a very early Rem 870. Now you have to find a
16 gauge vent rib barrel for your new 870...eventually. Also a light weight shotgun to carry all day.

Like Passport said the 16 will crush roosters just stock up on 16 gauge ammo when you find it.

Doc
Those were some of the best wingmaster IMO, the no checker stock and corn cob front. They seem lighter and trimmer. Long and lean, the way a shotgun should be. Mine looks identical except it has a solid pachmayer brown pad I pout on and I replaced the poly barrel with a fixed IC barrel (despise vent ribs). I kept the poly barrel and put some matte/textured krylon on the outside so I can use it for turkeys as well. The poly actually patterns quite well with Fed 2 3/4, 5-shot turkey loads when set on XTRA Full.
I've carried a BPS Upland Special in 16 ga while chasing roosters, the 16 ga works well.

My only plan at the moment is to screw in a more prominent front bead and to dust off the reloading press. Probably place an order with ballistic products.

Never used a poly choke so I'll spend some time at the grease board once I get a chance to load up some rounds.
Herters 16 bore ammo is good stuff. Cabelas almost always has a bunch of it in stock at great prices for 16 gauge
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Found some at Bass Pro of all places. Got six boxes coming my way as I type.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That is about all I shoot... seldom have trouble finding multiple options.
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Sure will. It will shoot a modified pattern from the IC barrel and a FC pattern from the mod bbl.

Without patterning specific loads you have no way of knowing how tightly they will pattern... or how uniformly they shoot. Shotgun barrels are not made to anything like the tight tolerances of rifle barrels.
Got another question for you guys: Will Rem Nitro-Steel High Velocity Mag Non-toxic #4's[2.75"] work thru my 870?
The "Mag Dram Eq" thing sort of got my attention. Thanks.
Remember, it's a 20.
Didn't go with the Rem Nitro, seemed a bit hot for my use. Found plenty of options tho. Got 4 boxes of Win "Dry-Lok"#4's, Rio Blue Steel #3's and plenty of Win Super -X and Fed #6's. All steel. Now, I'll use all my lead shells 'till I can't any longer. Going out this week-end for some Desert Quail and Chukar. Happy times!
© 24hourcampfire