Home
Posted By: GA270 20 gauge for squirrel hunting? - 01/29/16
A long time ago when I was a teenager, there were no deer in this area of Georgia, so most hunting involved small game such as squirrels, and most of it was done with 12-gauge shotguns (with the occasional .22). I'm considering getting back into squirrel hunting. I have four 12-gauge shotguns, all of them Remingtons, but I thought I might want to try a 20-gauge. I was at the LGS last week, and they have a used 20-gauge Model 870, matte finish, camo synthetic stock/forearm, short barrel, rem-choke, $325.00.

Most hunting would involve shooting them out of the upper limbs of pecan trees.

Anyone here use the 20-gauge for that kind of hunting? Opinions? Or should I just dust off one the 12-gauges?
A 20 ga. will kill 'em dead, Dead, DEAD! And you'll have fewer pellets to chew on (given the same choke being used).
A 20 is a bunch of fun... You won't reach out like a full choke 12 gauge with heavy 1 1/4 ounce loads, but do you really care? I'm not that hungry for squirrel meat. I go squirrel hunting for fun and sneaking a bit closer is fun.

If you want an excuse to buy a new shotgun fine.. I own a couple 20's.. They are trimmer and lighter than my 12's, but you can buy any load you will shoot in a 20 in a 12 ga.
7/8- 1 1/4oz. loads.. The 12's will generally be cheaper..
Plus you can, you want get much heavier loads than can be fired in a 20.. But getting a new gun is always fun..
20ga is fine. I use #4's because I eat them and I don't like digging pellets out of them.
Get a 10/22 shoot them in the head.
Originally Posted by Whelenman

Because the guy wants a new 20 ga. Let's help him out here.
I have been shooting squirrels with a 20 gauge for years. I tend to use #6s most of the time. It is actually a great combination.
I'd think a nice little SXS would be fun for Squirrels....CZ makes one that's pretty affordable.....not as "cheap" as a plastic 870 but a lot nicer.....
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I'd think a nice little SXS would be fun for Squirrels....CZ makes one that's pretty affordable.....not as "cheap" as a plastic 870 but a lot nicer.....

I would like to have one of those 5.5 lb Dickson 28 ga shotguns that Cabelas has. We hunted squirrels with a 410 growing up and I don't ever remember shooting at one that didn't fall dead.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I would like to have one of those 5.5 lb Dickson 28 ga shotguns that Cabelas has. We hunted squirrels with a 410 growing up and I don't ever remember shooting at one that didn't fall dead.

CZ also makes a 28 on a 28ga frame at 5.6 lbs......and a .410 at 5.2 lbs.....both sound like fun squirrel guns.....
I've actually handled a fellow I ran into while Quail hunting's 28ga....they're sweet little guns....

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-bobwhite-12-26-5-choke-tubes/

scroll to the right to see the other ga's.....
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

CZ also makes a 28 on a 28ga frame at 5.6 lbs......and a .410 at 5.2 lbs.....both sound like fun squirrel guns.....
I've actually handled a fellow I ran into while Quail hunting's 28ga....they're sweet little guns....

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-bobwhite-12-26-5-choke-tubes/

scroll to the right to see the other ga's.....

I wasn't aware of the 28ga CZ. They are likely made in the same factory as the Dickson. I've never owned a 28 but everyone says they are about 90% of what a 20 is. Should be great for everything up to Pheasant IMHO.
I have the CZ Ringneck in 16 ga and it is one of the best feeling SXS I have used. Last time in SD it smoked the Pheasants.
I like hunting them with a .22 or a 20 ga. 7/8 or 1 oz of 6s are great in a 20 ga. The shells are smaller so you can carry them in your pockets without being so bulky and a 20 is lighter. A tight choked 20 with 1 oz of 6s can kill a tall squirrel.
[quote=seal_billy]I like hunting them with a .22 or a 20 ga. 7/8 or 1 oz of 6s are great in a 20 ga. The shells are smaller so you can carry them in your pockets without being so bulky and a 20 is lighter. A tight choked 20 with 1 oz of 6s can kill a tall squirrel. [/quote

Yep , high brass 6 shot, full choke will reach out there.
I use a 20 ga for all upland game.....and I'm one to use a full choke in both barrels.....it's a truly fine shotgun.
My favorite 20 gauge works on squawks...

[Linked Image]
I use a Dickinson, daughter uses my old Bobwhite, both 20ga. Our favorites for upland, rabbit, and squirrel. Good load and pattern, the 20ga is very effective, even for turkey.
Gary, can you compare the difference between the Dickinson and the CZ. I've handled the CZ's but not the Dickinson.
I will sometimes use a scattergun for squirrels. 20 is great but a 28 or even full choke .410 will work. I use either #6 or #4 shot for them.
That may be too much money for the gun. They sell new for $350 at places like Academy. Other than that, no problem.

A 20 gauge will smoke anything that flies and most of what walks and crawls, including squirrels. One of the best turkeys I ever saw was shot by a beardless youth with a 20 gauge Mossberg 500. So, buy a 20 if you want one, but it's purely a matter of personal taste. A 12 gauge will work as well.

Yes, 20 ga. ammo is lighter. However, the daily limit on squirrel in Missouri is 10. I can still carry that much ammo.
Originally Posted by Whelenman

^^^^^ I've always used a .22 for small game, dont like chewing on lead pellets or digging 'em out. YMMV.
A 20 gauge will work if you get a tight choke for it.

A 22 makes it a lot more enjoyable though for me.
I shot a lot of squirrels with a little 20 ga. Fox Model B. Ohio's got some very tall beech trees and the squirrels always seemed to be up high in the canopy. More than once I had to shoot them just to knock them down to a lower branch so I could finish them off. When we split up Dad's guns, my brother ended up with that one and I'm still kicking my self for not claiming it.
Originally Posted by MOGC

[Linked Image]

Did you take those critters while hunting in Australia? B)
Always used a 410 with #4 shot. You had to get closes, but there was not much shot to pick out then.

The ULTIMATE for this is a Winchester 9410.....
Originally Posted by wildfowl

[Linked Image]

Does it appear upside down to you? To my CPU it's right side up. Weird...
Originally Posted by wildfowl

[Linked Image]

Does it appear upside down to you? To my CPU it's right side up. Weird...

Yep, completely upside down. The gun is pointing down. Great picture though!
Let's try this...

[Linked Image]
still upside down...
Sorry, I've rotated that thing in the bucket up, down and sideways.
Let's try this...

[Linked Image]

Looks good now!
I think the .410 bore and squirrels are just made for each other, although I like to use a .22 RF. The .410 is not much good for anything else.

I just dabble in squirrel and grouse until the deer seasons open up but I use an old H&R 20ga single shot, its light and works like a charm.
When I was an extra-low budget recoil-sensitive grad student, I used an Ithaca 20 ga modified choke Super Single and Federal 2 1/2 dram 1 oz of Number 6 shot on quail, rabbit and squirrel. That gun and load did a fine job when I did my part. It just plain worked!
© 24hourcampfire