Home
looking at some older guns chambered in 12 gauge (two and 1/2 inch)

see RST makes shells for it

What can I expect shooting this?

Thank you for any help!
They are 1/4 inch shorter than 2 3/4 inch shells...... :-)

They are fine ammo, 1 oz IIRC, and are designed to keep pressures, and length of course, that are agreeable with the old guns.

RTS is making papers too. I have shot there stuff and like it.
Almost everything I shoot, skeet, sporting clays and hunt with are 2 1/2". Like has been said your only missing 1/4" and in some cases not even that. 2 1/2" roll crimped shells have nearly the same capacity as a 2 3/4" fold crimp you just need to find lower pressure loads for the shotguns your shooting.

12 gauge

2 1/2" 7/8 oz ITX 6's handloads
[Linked Image]

Same load

[Linked Image]

Same load

[Linked Image]

2 1/2" B&P High pheasant 1 oz Lead 6"s

[Linked Image]

16 gauge

2 1/2" 1 oz NP BB's Handloads (coyote at 40 yards)

[Linked Image]

You will only give up common availability of ammo, there is plenty of handloading data available and components.

As far as performance on game, I've never felt the need for more.
Cool stuff Erich
There is nothing wrong with 2 1/2 inch guns. I have couple and you can get shells for them and with an adapter, you can reload them on a Mec 600 easily...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
2.5 inch shell were the standard years go and they tend to pattern better than the longer shells. I use these in my Model 12 16 ga for most of my squirrel hunting
Where are you guys buying RST ammo at?
Most of mine are handloaded but I order by he flat from B&P. Most do the same from RST.
Use RST in my double guns, a little less recoil and wear and tear on the guns, or at least I think it doesn't pound them as much as higher velocity 2 3/4 and 3" loads. Not much difference on game as far as I can tell but maybe on longer shots which I don't get a lot of.
Oh yeah, I buy direct from the RST site, but maybe there are cheaper places, but I only use them hunting so don't go through a lot in a year.
I wouldn't mind trying 2.5s with paper hulls and fiber wads so I wouldn't worry about finding all my empties.
© 24hourcampfire