Home

This 1934 Remington 31 is one of my most favorite and least expensive guns ($350 plus the time to refinish the wood). A rare factory riot gun with timeless design, dense high quality wood, a machined receiver and overall fine craftsmanship. It operates smooth and fast.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eamyrick Re: Remington 31 Factory Riot - 10/19/16
Very nice. How did you refinish the wood?
Posted By: passport Re: Remington 31 Factory Riot - 10/19/16
Very cool, one of the best pumps ever made
In its day it was the best pump around. Trap shooters love it. Guys still shoot them today but parts are hard to come by.
Nice Model 31, sir!
Posted By: MWN Re: Remington 31 Factory Riot - 10/19/16
Nice indeed! Is the choke indicated on the barrel? Are there any military markings?
Originally Posted by eamyrick
Very nice. How did you refinish the wood?

Stripper
Sandpaper
Elbow grease
Danish Oil
Originally Posted by MWN
Nice indeed! Is the choke indicated on the barrel? Are there any military markings?

No military markings on a 1934 gun
Barrel marked "CYL"
Posted By: RufusG Re: Remington 31 Factory Riot - 10/20/16
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

This 1934 Remington 31 is one of my most favorite and least expensive guns ($350 plus the time to refinish the wood).

You scored hugely on that one. Even the fake riot guns I've seen have been overpriced.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Remington 31 Factory Riot - 10/21/16
D wood.... look GOOD !
Originally Posted by passport
Very cool, one of the best pumps ever made

Agreed

I often wondered why they needed to change from the Mdl 31?????
Posted By: RufusG Re: Remington 31 Factory Riot - 10/22/16
Originally Posted by luv2safari
why they needed to change from the Mdl 31?????

Compared to an 870, much more expensive to manufacture. Plus the 870 has a couple functional improvements, like no fuss barrel swapping and the ability to add a mag extension.

The Model 31 is one of my favorite guns ever, but you have to acknowledge the postwar period up to the early 60s as Remington's Golden Age. Their catalog is still carried by the guns they introduced in that era. Winchester was doomed the minute the 870 was introduced, it just took them a while to realize it.
Posted By: krupp Re: Remington 31 Factory Riot - 10/22/16
Smooth as silk action. Luv my 20.
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by luv2safari
why they needed to change from the Mdl 31?????

Compared to an 870, much more expensive to manufacture. Plus the 870 has a couple functional improvements, like no fuss barrel swapping and the ability to add a mag extension.

The Model 31 is one of my favorite guns ever, but you have to acknowledge the postwar period up to the early 60s as Remington's Golden Age. Their catalog is still carried by the guns they introduced in that era. Winchester was doomed the minute the 870 was introduced, it just took them a while to realize it.

Krupp is right

Remington 31 has a milled receiver and what seems to be a lot of expensive hand fitting.

I had a Remington 870 Wingmaster before I took a fancy to pre-WWII shotguns. Nothing wrong with a nice Wingmaster

The 31 also had some fairly expensive parts, bearings especially. Back then manufacturing in China had not made bearings ridiculously cheap and machining for them took a bit longer.

My son has a 20 and a 16 I gave him. They are good little shotguns.
© 24hourcampfire