Home
Posted By: gitem_12 older win. 101s - 01/21/17
how were they. found one today that fit well but not sure I have much use for it
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: older win. 101s - 01/21/17
I just traded into one, 30" bbls and fixed mod/full. I haven't shot it much but they are generally considered a well made gun but have been said to have more recoil due to lighter weight and pitch of the stock.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: older win. 101s - 01/21/17
our hunting club has a "preserve" license. allowing us to shoot pheseant and quail year round on our lease, but one stipulation is we use steel shot.

I'd like a nice O/U. I just don't think I have use for an old fixed choke gun
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: older win. 101s - 01/21/17
Unless it's IC/Mod I'd not shoot steel through it. Probably not cost effective to buy it and have it opened up or threaded. Many of them can't be threaded due to lack of barrel thickness
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: older win. 101s - 01/21/17
I may just keep searching for a cz bobwhite in 12 bore
Posted By: orion03 Re: older win. 101s - 01/27/17
Very fine guns. Have a 28 gauge Pigeon Grade that is one of my favorites. Heck of a lot more gun than the new ones.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: older win. 101s - 01/28/17
Winchester came out years ago and said any 101 is fine for steel shot. I have a couple and they have seen a bunch of steel shot.

I had one tubed with thin-wall tubes for lead and opened the other a tweak for steel. It was a waterfowl special in F/M and now it is about M/IM.

They fit me better than just about any other shotgun.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: older win. 101s - 01/28/17
I did my best clays shooting ever with a Winchester 101. The guy. That ain't borrowed it from said that everyone that shoots it likes it. I'll have one in due time.
Posted By: DMc Re: older win. 101s - 01/28/17
Had several. A 101 3-barrel set was my all time favorite outside of a Browning Superposed Superlight that just became too dang valuable to shoot. It's a sad thing when you mentally start calculating every little scratch you might put on a firearm.

DMc
Posted By: erich Re: older win. 101s - 01/28/17
I've owned 5 ,still have two left, my old International Skeet gun and one I used for International trap (30" F&F with 2 3/4" chambers and a field stock) while I was overseas, it has 250,000+ rounds through it and still locks up tight. I did have to replace a firing pin and put a new set of wood on it, many thousands of 1 1/4 oz NP 7's battered the stock pretty good.
Posted By: model70man Re: older win. 101s - 01/29/17
Originally Posted by gitem_12
how were they. found one today that fit well but not sure I have much use for it

I bought one of the first 20 gauge Model 101 shotguns when they came out in 1966 (20 gauge). It has never failed me. I still have the box and hang tags.
© 24hourcampfire