Home
Posted By: logger Browning Citori Questions - 02/13/17
I was asked by a good friend to sell her father's firearms - one of which is a Browning Citori 20 gauge shotgun. I am not a shotgun person so am trying to determine a reasonable value. So, Browning Citori 20 gauge, 2 3/4 inch, modified and improved fixed choke, 26" barrels, Serial Number 16408PY***, straight grip, schnable forearm, factory engraving on receiver, blued with nice wood, plastic Browning butt plate, excellent condition, nice and tight. Any help on general age and reasonable price would be appreciated.
Made in 1982.
$1000-1500 depending on condition.
Awesome guns. Always wanted one.
Posted By: mudstud Re: Browning Citori Questions - 02/13/17
Looks like I screwed up last fall. I fondled a Citori similar to the one the OP describes, except this one was 28", M&F, with pistol grip. Very nice shotgun, practically new. $700 and I passed!! The reasons are several, I am a Beretta guy, not a Citori shooter, the fixed chokes are a minus, and I don't care for those hard plastic butt plates. However, I just picked up a Cynergy Field 28 gauge two days ago. That shotgun feels just like a Beretta! Can't wait to get it out to the skeet range, but we're still waist deep in snow here. Good luck on your sale.
Originally Posted by mudstud
Looks like I screwed up last fall. I fondled a Citori similar to the one the OP describes, except this one was 28", M&F, with pistol grip. Very nice shotgun, practically new. $700 and I passed!! The reasons are several, I am a Beretta guy, not a Citori shooter, the fixed chokes are a minus, and I don't care for those hard plastic butt plates. However, I just picked up a Cynergy Field 28 gauge two days ago. That shotgun feels just like a Beretta! Can't wait to get it out to the skeet range, but we're still waist deep in snow here. Good luck on your sale.

$700 is about the going rate for a fixed choke 12 gauge.
The 20 gauge upland specials command higher prices.
Posted By: bobski Re: Browning Citori Questions - 02/13/17
can you post a pic?
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Browning Citori Questions - 02/13/17
Sounds like a Superlight not an upland special to me. If the last 3 digits are 123 it's a Superlight. Made in '82.

I have one as well, my favorite shotgun.
Posted By: mudstud Re: Browning Citori Questions - 02/13/17
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by mudstud

$700 is about the going rate for a fixed choke 12 gauge.
The 20 gauge upland specials command higher prices.

FWIW, it was a 20.
Posted By: orion03 Re: Browning Citori Questions - 02/13/17
The Superlight is one of my favorites. Citori's are VERY fine made shotguns for the money, compared to other guns in their price range. Somebody will be happy if they get it for $1000.
Posted By: logger Re: Browning Citori Questions - 02/13/17
Yes, the last three digits of the serial are 123. It weighs a couple of ounces under 6 lb. Spent some time looking closely at it today and it is doesn't look like it has been shot much. I do know that it was a one owner shotgun and he really took good care of it. The owner was a great guy. As he was declining, we conversed numerous time about my reloading projects. After he had passed away, his daughter let me know that I was to be given all of his reloading gear, including his Oehler 33 chronograph.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow, but I would need to email them to someone that could post them on the Campfire.

Thanks so much for the info, it is very helpful.
Awesome gun. Always wanted one. Hint.

grin

Sounds like you got a fine shotgun there.
What the serial number difference between an Upland Special and a Superlight. I have an english stocked 28 gauge Citori that I'm getting ready to put up on the classified section. It has choke tubes. Serial 290****A73.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Browning Citori Questions - 02/14/17
The last 3 digits of the serial number are the model designation.

Send me info on this 28 gauge.
Posted By: logger Re: Browning Citori Questions - 02/14/17
A few pictures. Sorry about the longitudinal pictures. I rotated to the correct orientation on Photobucket but it didn't seem to take when I copied it to this post.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WOW that is nice!
I'll change my original estimate to $1500-1900 maybe more!
What a sweet grouse gun.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Browning Citori Questions - 02/28/17
Yes, nice! $2000 or more... smile (sorry Fireball)
© 24hourcampfire