Home
Posted By: Reloder28 Browning A5 - 02/26/17
Who has one of the new ones & what do you think of it?
Posted By: Jayhawker Re: Browning A5 - 02/26/17
I picked one up as a lighter replacement to my Light 12 (weight over 8 lbs) and love the way it handles. With a 30" barrel, in comes in at well under 7 lbs. My primary use is at the trap range which is why I opted for the longer barrel. What use did you have in mind, general hunting or clays?
Posted By: Leonten Re: Browning A5 - 02/26/17
I was completely amazed with the lack of recoil.

For many years I duck hunted with the browning Auto 5. A day after duck hunting my shoulder hurt.

But now, even though I'm 40 years older, no shoulder pain with the A5.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Browning A5 - 02/26/17
24 hours ago I was in ol' Mex in a veritable onslaught of mourning doves and Eurasians using my 1967 Light Twelve. Results are the same as they have been for the last 40 years in similar circumstances.

I shot the new Sweet Sixteen last year at SHOT, and enjoyed it. Nice modern gun.

Give me a Belgium Auto 5 anyday.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Browning A5 - 02/26/17
[Linked Image]

Season closer in Mexico. shocked
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Browning A5 - 02/26/17
Nice load of doves!

Can't comment on the new A5. My old Mag 20 is a pussy cat with light loads, but heavy 3" loads will pound ya. I'd love to shoot a new one just to see what's what.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Browning A5 - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
What use did you have in mind, general hunting or clays?

General hunting.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Browning A5 - 02/27/17
I have a 1965 Auto-5 that just got taken out of the box last October. I have a 1997 Auto-5 Stalker & a 1926 Remington 11.

I don't plan to buy a new A5, just curious about 'em.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Browning A5 - 02/27/17
The Sweet Sixteen I shot was well balanced, light, and was styled like a modern humpback, which I liked, being a fan of the original. It is inertia operated, like the Benellis, so the barrel does not slide back during recoil. It was easy to shoot well. As I said, a very nice gun.

My first-blush beef was the $1700 price tag (for the Sweet Sixteen), which, in fairness, is not entirely out of line for new shotguns. I paid more than that for a Benelli Cordoba a few years back. Maybe I am too much a Auto 5 purist, but I much prefer an original Belgium Auto 5 (or two) for that kinda cheese.

That said, the new Auto 5's ARE nice guns.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Browning A5 - 02/27/17
I have never thought of a properly set up Auto Five as a hard kicker. You guys have your rings set up for heavy loads, magazine tube very very lightly lubed?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Browning A5 - 02/28/17
Even with the rings correct, a 3" shell bucks pretty good in an A5 with no pad. Not really an issue though as I rarely shot 3" Mag shells.

Posted By: kellory Re: Browning A5 - 02/28/17
My light twelve is marked 2&3/4" not 3". You might want to check the safe length of your ammo.
Mine is from my Father, and Belgium made. The entire barrel recoils with the shot. (Just reprinted the pdf manual for it.)
Posted By: 300Savage Re: Browning A5 - 03/30/17
I got a 1954 Standard Weight 12 gauge Auto five with a 30 plain barrel. It has a full choke. I can break targets in trap with the gun, it is heavy, 8 3/4 lbs. I have killed pheasants at longe range 35-40 yards. Missed a lot at close range because of the choke. Beautfifull wood, machining, engraving, fit and finish. Not one of my favorites. Just too heavy. It has never malfunctioned, joy to look at, but, it is just too heavy to walk with for 8 hours.
© 24hourcampfire