Home
Posted By: Esox357 Goose Shotgun - 03/22/17
Wanting to purchase a 12 ga semi auto for goose hunting. My 2 choices thus far are the Winchester SX3 or a Benelli? I want to purchase an additional barrel to double as a camping/home defense shotgun, so wanting to find a 18.5 barrel? Any recommendations?
Posted By: kingston Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/22/17
The second 18.5" barrel for a 3.5" 12ga. autoloader is going to a very spendy option, if you can even find one. You might find a second 24" barrel, but that too will be pricey. I'd focus on selecting a waterfowl gun that fits you, that feels good in hand, and upon mounting. My working waterfowl guns are the Beretta Xtrema II. Beretta autos are unique in that the are both gas and recoil operated. They're soft shooting even with the heaviest loads forced through tight chokes. The Beretta Extema II is "Aqua" coated inside and out. This coating is extremely corrosion resistant. I hunt on and near saltwater and have been amazed at how well these guns have held up. There are lots of great options out there these days. You should be happy with any of them as long as you prioritize fit.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/23/17
Thank you that is another shotgun I will look at as well.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/23/17
Buy a cheap 870 for home defense and chop the barrel down. If I were buying a gun specifically for goose hunting (not to be used for anything where I have to carry it much) it'd be a 10 gauge.

The SX3 will probably save you a few bucks over the Benelli, especially since Winchester just debuted the SX4. When the SX3 debuted I got a new closeout SX2 for $650.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/23/17
Basil, if it's goose only

there are two options in my book as fsr as new guns

a Browning BPS 10 and a Browning Gold lite 10

lots of people will tell you there are no practical differences that justify the 10 but they are full of schidt

if you want a 12 auto my choices are benelli or Beretta.

I've had both the extrema2 and sbe2..you can't go wrong with either.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/23/17
I want to shoulder a Beretta Xtrema2, haven't had a chance to get my hands on one but it does interest me. I might justify a 10 down the road, but for now I think I will stick with the 12? Thanks guys.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/25/17
I have been shooting a SBE for years I also have a beretta 391. Love them both but if i were gonna get a goose only gun it would be a 10 ga or a gun that uses the invector plus choke system like a Browning silver, gold, maxis, or a winchester SX2,3 OR 4. I have spent many hours patterning shotguns and nothing shoots heavy loads of big shot better than a 10 or a 12 ga with a big bore diameter. All the invector plus barrels are back bored and shoot big shot sizes very well and they aren't near as picky about loads. Take it or leave it. If not for that I would go with the beretta, (if it fits you well) less recoil than the benellis too.
Posted By: cdb Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/26/17
Kingston, when you say Beretta's are gas and recoil operated are you talking about the KO as being the recoil part of the equation?
Posted By: cdb Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/26/17
If I were getting a dedicated goose gun it would definitely be a Gold 10 gauge.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/26/17
SP10 is a tough gun to beat for just a goose gun. They're heavy but they're reliable as a ball peen hammer and mine patterns beautifully with everything I've ever tried in it.
Posted By: kingston Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by cdb
Kingston, when you say Beretta's are gas and recoil operated are you talking about the KO as being the recoil part of the equation?

The KO system would be the third mechanism of recoil management.

Originally Posted by seal_billy
I have been shooting a SBE for years I also have a beretta 391. Love them both but if i were gonna get a goose only gun it would be a 10 ga or a gun that uses the invector plus choke system like a Browning silver, gold, maxis, or a winchester SX2,3 OR 4. I have spent many hours patterning shotguns and nothing shoots heavy loads of big shot better than a 10 or a 12 ga with a big bore diameter. All the invector plus barrels are back bored and shoot big shot sizes very well and they aren't near as picky about loads. Take it or leave it. If not for that I would go with the beretta, (if it fits you well) less recoil than the benellis too.

Aren't the newer Berettas, the Xtrema2 included, back bored? The Xtrema2s use Beretta's longer profile choke tubes. I forget what they're calling them.

For the record, I have an SP10 and a BPS10, but the OP asked about 12s. I'd love one of those new Browning 10s like Gitem's!
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/26/17
I can't believe anybod'd pay good money for a dedicated goose gun. WTF do you guys do with those nasty tastin' things ?
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/26/17
they're only nasty tasting if you can't cook.
Posted By: kingston Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/26/17
Goose breast, just like sirloin! Fo-real!

But that's got nothing to do with justifying goose guns.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/26/17
Yes, goose tastes awesome.
To be honest in the crockpot I can't tell the difference between it and venison roast.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/26/17
Brian, do you haunt any of the Facebook waterfowl groups

there are Browming golds offered uo for good prices quite often
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by Tom264
To be honest in the crockpot I can't tell the difference between it and venison roast.
Tates like liver to me and I hate liver. Lotsa guys I work with shoot them but none like the meat. They all make jerky out of it to cover the nasty taste.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/26/17
I am with Blkheart on this one.. my dogs love goose jerky though!
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Tates like liver to me and I hate liver. Lotsa guys I work with shoot them but none like the meat. They all make jerky out of it to cover the nasty taste.

Wife takes the goose breast in a crockpot with cream of mushroom soup, potatoes, carrots and onions and we love it.
The meat has a stringy (for a lack of better explaination ) texture just like a big venison/elk roast.
And like I said tastes just like it.
One thing I do when cleaning the bird is to make sure there is zero fat or oils on the meat.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/27/17
Originally Posted by Esox357
Wanting to purchase a 12 ga semi auto for goose hunting. My 2 choices thus far are the Winchester SX3 or a Benelli? I want to purchase an additional barrel to double as a camping/home defense shotgun, so wanting to find a 18.5 barrel? Any recommendations?

For goose only, I'd choose the SX3 for recoil reduction and backbored barrels.

But I'd choose the Benelli SBEII for an all-around waterfowl gun, including goose.
Posted By: kingston Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/27/17
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I don't. I can't stand FB. I make one exception, but that pretty much it.

Maybe after you let me try yours...

laugh

Posted By: kingston Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/27/17
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Hum? Make sure you get all the blood out of the meat.
Posted By: cdb Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by cdb

The KO system would be the third mechanism of recoil management

Never heard of recoil operation in a Beretta gas semi. What are you referring to?
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/28/17

I don't. I can't stand FB. I make one exception, but that pretty much it.

Maybe after you let me try yours...

laugh

That can be arranged. I'll tag you in the next ads that I see

A few weeks back there was one with a synthetic stock that the guy only wanted 700 bucks for
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/28/17
What's up with needing a cannon to kill a goose?? All this talk of needing 10 gauges or 3/3½" 12 gauges slinging two ounces of shot has my head spinning. I have used nothing but 12 gauge (and a few 16's and 20's) in 2 3/4" with 1 1/8oz. of lead-like shot. The hundreds of birds I killed over the last ten years is proof that skill trumps cannons, no matter how much the glossy magazines, manufacturer's hype, and old wive's tales would have you believe otherwise. In this day and age of lead-like non-toxic shot there's no excuse for using steel shot which is the basis for the "more is better" myth. Expensive you say? Sure, but when compared to what you spend for licenses, trucks, decoys, blinds, guns, clothing, dogs, meals, etc., etc. that $2-3 per shot when filling a two goose limit is small potatoes. (Not to mention that with lighter loads you won't flinch as much and your shooting will dramatically improve- a win-win situation.)

The flyways were decimated 100+ years ago by market gunners shooting the lightest (most cost effective) loads they could- typically an ounce of lead out of a 12 gauge. Look me in the eye and tell me you believe geese are harder to kill now than they were 100 years ago.
Posted By: eamyrick Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/28/17
This is interesting as I am strongly considering hunting this year with a 20. I've been shooting a lot of sporting clays and focusing on passing type shots and realize that a lot of my crippled ducks this year were not due to poor steel performance but marginal hits with only a pellet or two on the bird. So many variables for incoming birds that can really only be practiced shooting clays.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
What's up with needing a cannon to kill a goose?? All this talk of needing 10 gauges or 3/3½" 12 gauges slinging two ounces of shot has my head spinning. I have used nothing but 12 gauge (and a few 16's and 20's) in 2 3/4" with 1 1/8oz. of lead-like shot. The hundreds of birds I killed over the last ten years is proof that skill trumps cannons, no matter how much the glossy magazines, manufacturer's hype, and old wive's tales would have you believe otherwise. In this day and age of lead-like non-toxic shot there's no excuse for using steel shot which is the basis for the "more is better" myth. Expensive you say? Sure, but when compared to what you spend for licenses, trucks, decoys, blinds, guns, clothing, dogs, meals, etc., etc. that $2-3 per shot when filling a two goose limit is small potatoes. (Not to mention that with lighter loads you won't flinch as much and your shooting will dramatically improve- a win-win situation.)

The flyways were decimated 100+ years ago by market gunners shooting the lightest (most cost effective) loads they could- typically an ounce of lead out of a 12 gauge. Look me in the eye and tell me you believe geese are harder to kill now than they were 100 years ago.

You've shot hundreds of birds over ten years
My guys shot 328 just this season.

Htl loads are prohibitively expensive. I buy steel by the case.

Hesse aren't harder to kill, but they are much more call any and decoy wary. And recoil in modern autos is zilch. My Gold ten is like a 20 gauge
Originally Posted by eamyrick
This is interesting as I am strongly considering hunting this year with a 20. I've been shooting a lot of sporting clays and focusing on passing type shots and realize that a lot of my crippled ducks this year were not due to poor steel performance but marginal hits with only a pellet or two on the bird. So many variables for incoming birds that can really only be practiced shooting clays.

I shoot a lot of ducks with a 20 and we even hold a couple of sub gauge goose hunts a year. But I don't care what anyone says I've never seen geese crumple like they do when getting hit with a pad of big pellets from a big 10
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/28/17

Lead-like shot is expensive for guys who shoot a lot of geese (or shoot at a lot of geese) in a year. Big steel shot patterns a lot better out of a 10 ga than a 12 and the guns are typically heavy enough that the recoil is far less than a 12
Posted By: kingston Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by cdb

Never heard of recoil operation in a Beretta gas semi. What are you referring to?

When the original Xtrema appeared it was unique. It combined a self-adjusting gas operating system with mechanical design elements typically associated with inertia/recoil operated autoloaders, specifically the forward mounted recoil and return spring. The Xtrema design integrates forward operating arms with the bolt into a single piece, allowing the forward mounted recoil spring to buffer bolt operation, much like recoil/inertia driven systems. While I haven't followed the most recent iterations, I'm under the impression this combination of mechanics remains unique to the Xtrema and its lineage. IIRC, this was talked up considerably when Beretta first launched the original Xtrema. In those days, Benelli owned the hearts and minds of the high dollar shotgunning waterfowling crowd, and Beretta was king of the clays. At the time, I remember thinking that Beretta's integration of design elements unique to their inertia driven competition was both curious and brilliant. I wondered if Beretta Holding's 2000 purchase of Benelli might not be a coincidence. Back in the 90's, the divide between Benelli's inertia fans and Beretta's gas gun fans was vastly wider than it is today. For a while the message coming out of Italy seemed set toward easing the passion of both sides. More recently, it appears as they mean to re cultivate these sorts of distinctions, but in a much softer, fuzzier, inclusive way—especially if it will keep buyers away from shotguns produced outside the Beretta Holding Group family.

You've shot hundreds of birds over ten years
My guys shot 328 just this season.

Htl loads are prohibitively expensive. I buy steel by the case.

Hesse aren't harder to kill, but they are much more call any and decoy wary. And recoil in modern autos is zilch. My Gold ten is like a 20 gauge

The group I hunt with is headed up by my buddy who owns three farms on the Eastern Shore, bought mainly for goose hunting. We have 11 pits and and a half dozen permanent blinds set up, not to mention the portable blinds. The group (including guests) passed the 500 mark a couple weeks before season's end but I don't know the final tally. My personal score is lower than some because my arthritis started to dictate my times in pits starting about ten years ago.

Out of the eight "regulars", one insists on using a Mag10 and steel mainly because he's one of those guys that has to be bigger than life in everything: an F350, 5000sq.ft. house, .300 Weatherby for deer, etc.- you know the type- and coincidentally he's about the worst shot I ever knew. An other guy uses a Benelli 3 1/2" because all the magazines tell him it's the best tool for the job. His kills are in the basement too. The rest of the guys woke up to reality and pile up the birds.

Most of us reload, and load stuff like ITX #2's by the case. Cheaper than steel? No, but not as crazy expensive as factory loads and just as effective. I stand by my statement that a couple bucks per shot per bird is still not worth talking about when considering the godawful costs a dedicated hunter can rack up in a season- even in a honey hole like ours.

Birds are warier now? Maybe so. Fewer birds? Definitely. But immaterial to the discussion when the hunter is skilled at calling, the blinds are skilfully built, and the adjoining river is black with geese as dawn breaks.

I shoot a lot of ducks with a 20 and we even hold a couple of sub gauge goose hunts a year. But I don't care what anyone says I've never seen geese crumple like they do when getting hit with a pad of big pellets from a big 10

Try hitting them with a wad of lead-like #2's from a tightly choked 12/16/20 too. Dead is dead.

Sometimes we get bored and do sub-gauge days- 28's and .410's. It calls for will power to wait and shoot until they're within bayonet range and pass up edgier shots do-able with a heavier gun, but again dead is dead.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by cdb

The KO system would be the third mechanism of recoil management.

Originally Posted by seal_billy

Aren't the newer Berettas, the Xtrema2 included, back bored? The Xtrema2s use Beretta's longer profile choke tubes. I forget what they're calling them.

For the record, I have an SP10 and a BPS10, but the OP asked about 12s. I'd love one of those new Browning 10s like Gitem's!

Yes but the beretta standard bore is .722ish. So when they overbored them 10 thousandths it is a mere .732, only 3 thousandths over standard American bore. Where as the FN winchester/Browning guns are overbored to .742. The choke tube length isn't all that important as long as they are 2" long most guys use extended chokes anyways and they have a longer taper and parallel section so it doesn't matter. I have a gold and had 2 others also had a SX2. they patterned better than the 2 M1s and my SBE and my 391. Very consistent with heavy loads and or big shot sizes.
Thanks Troy.
Posted By: cdb Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by cdb

When the original Xtrema appeared it was unique. It combined a self-adjusting gas operating system with mechanical design elements typically associated with inertia/recoil operated autoloaders, specifically the forward mounted recoil and return spring. The Xtrema design integrates forward operating arms with the bolt into a single piece, allowing the forward mounted recoil spring to buffer bolt operation, much like recoil/inertia driven systems. While I haven't followed the most recent iterations, I'm under the impression this combination of mechanics remains unique to the Xtrema and its lineage. IIRC, this was talked up considerably when Beretta first launched the original Xtrema. In those days, Benelli owned the hearts and minds of the high dollar shotgunning waterfowling crowd, and Beretta was king of the clays. At the time, I remember thinking that Beretta's integration of design elements unique to their inertia driven competition was both curious and brilliant. I wondered if Beretta Holding's 2000 purchase of Benelli might not be a coincidence. Back in the 90's, the divide between Benelli's inertia fans and Beretta's gas gun fans was vastly wider than it is today. For a while the message coming out of Italy seemed set toward easing the passion of both sides. More recently, it appears as they mean to re cultivate these sorts of distinctions, but in a much softer, fuzzier, inclusive way—especially if it will keep buyers away from shotguns produced outside the Beretta Holding Group family.

Thank you for the explanation. I searched through Beretta's current literature and did not see any reference to what I was asking you about.

I've never noticed Berett gas guns to have less felt recoil than others, but it could be a fit issue. I've tried two, a 3901 and A300 and even with shims they didn't fit me well.
The original Xtrema didn't fit me well. The LOP had very limited adjustment. IIRC it bottomed out at 14.25. Which is too long for me when bundled up for nasty late season hunting.

They remedied this with the Xtrema 2, which has enough adjustment to fit me pretty well. At the end of the day, the biggest plus for me is the Aqua coating.

Currently, I'm amidst a shotgun buying moratorium, which ironically is the first step toward buying a new shotgun. We'll see what happens. I might have to Huckleberry Finn Gnoahhh into making me some of his super loads.
Posted By: cdb Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/29/17
I'm trying to keep from buying more shotguns too. Currently have 12 but have an itch for the Remington V3 and Fabarm XLR5 Waterfowler.
Posted By: kingston Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/29/17
This place is no cure for such an ailment.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/29/17
I'm shopping for a new turkey gun now. And am seriously considering one of the sx3 lomgbeards
Posted By: kingston Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/29/17
Use your new 10ga.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by cdb
I'm trying to keep from buying more shotguns too. Currently have 12 but have an itch for the Remington V3 and Fabarm XLR5 Waterfowler.

The V3 is hopefully gonna be the gun to bring American shotguns back. All the reviews have been good. If they make a light version it will help sales.
Posted By: cdb Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/29/17
I'm shopping for a new turkey gun now. And am seriously considering one of the sx3 lomgbeards

I'm a big fan of SX3's, own four of them. When I decided to get a dedicated turkey gun I went with a SA-459 Turkey. It ticked all of the boxes for me and I've been pleased with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/30/17
Use your new 10ga.

1 they don't make a scope mount for it.

2 the damned thing is heavy as a dead n&%$#r
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Goose Shotgun - 03/31/17
But I don't care what anyone says I've never seen geese crumple like they do when getting hit with a pad of big pellets from a big 10 [/quote]

This, in spades.
Posted By: kingston Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/02/17
Use your new 10ga.

1 they don't make a scope mount for it.

2 the damned thing is heavy as a dead n&%$#r

Re:
1. I'm sure you can rig something up.

[Linked Image]

2. You need one of these.

[Linked Image]

BTW, I'll donate a Bushnell Fieldview and some hose clamps to the cause.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/02/17
I've got you one uped.

I have a 8-32x bsa
I've got a BNIB BPS 10 GA 24" bbl I'll sell you. The only down side is that it's blued and walnut.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/03/17
Watched my father drop a triple on passing coots with a 458win magbolt action with 410 shotshells loaded in brass cases.

He wrote a piece about it in one of the mags of the day...
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/03/17
I am pretty sure I would have liked your Dad, Art.
Posted By: kingston Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/03/17
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Watched my father drop a triple on passing coots with a 458win magbolt action with 410 shotshells loaded in brass cases.

He wrote a piece about it in one of the mags of the day...

Now we're talking!
Posted By: Scott Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/03/17
My son just got a Stoeger M3500 on Saturday. Pretty nice gun for the money. Very similar to my SBE. Ran some light loads and patterned it for turkey. Just another option...
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/03/17
I've got a BNIB BPS 10 GA 24" bbl I'll sell you. The only down side is that it's blued and walnut.

I have spray paint.
Posted By: abbydog Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/03/17
Fabarms.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/03/17
You have to shoulder a couple different shotguns to get the one that fits you best.

The most important thing to look for in a waterfowl gun is to make sure you can shoot your hunting partner's shells in it.
Grin.
Posted By: DV_Ramrod Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/03/17
If you're looking for a multiple role shotgun to use on geese & home defense I'd highly recommend a 870. Parts, barrels, and gun protectants are cheap to keep it running & looking good.

I'd also recommend running some Hevi-Shot or Kent Tungsten Matrix #2's or 4's and you'll be stacking the geese. I've had tremendous success running high density loads 1-2 shot sizes smaller opposed to premium steel BBB and BB.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/03/17
I shouldered the SX3 today again and like the way it feels, still waiting to try out a Beretta. Think I have it narrowed down? Stay tuned.
Posted By: kingston Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/03/17
If that'll get it out of my safe!
Posted By: JRP47 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/17/17
I've been a little lax as far as any amount of waterfowl hunting is concerned. Still have my AYA SxS 10ga. 3 1/2" magnum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rondrews Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/19/17
My vote would be for a Remington 11-87 12 ga. with a 30" Full choke bbl and a 3' Chamber. Then pick up a 26' bbl for around the house. I have hunted Canada's for almost 30 years with either an 1100 or a 11-87. Both are awesome and reliable. The 11-87 can handle almost any loads, while the 1100 couldn't handle light loads. You also could get an 11-87 with the Remchoke system. Then you should have yourself covered
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/19/17
JR sure like your avatar and quote! He was the guy who had been there!
Posted By: JRP47 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/19/17
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
JR sure like your avatar and quote! He was the guy who had been there!

smile Thanks. My interest in Elmer basically started with my interest in handguns and a short while later expanded to firearms and hunting period. Reading his articles in various publications plus gradually acquiring many of his books became a regular search for info and experiences, some of which I'll never gain. In the early to mid 70's, I made a decision to go visit him and made arrangements with him by mail to do so. I actually met with him twice. On that 1st trip, I spent the day with him at his home in Salmon Idaho and the following photo is one I had him pose by my truck as I was preparing to leave.

[Linked Image]

The 2nd meeting was at a gun show in Kalispell Montana a year or two later. That was just after he had been awarded the 1st Handgunner of The Year award. I consider meeting Elmer the highlight of my experiences shooting, firearms involvement and hunting. smile
Posted By: hookeye Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/19/17
I'd like to get a SP10.
Until then I'll run Bismuth 3" mag #2's in an 1100 Magnum.

I do have an 870 Supermag for turkey, could use it on geese. Even turkey hunting, I only use 3" stuff. Reason I got it over the reg 870 Turkey model, 23" bbl instead of 21". Makes it a decent "general purpose" rig.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/19/17
Was an SP10 at a shop not long ago, decent price....but had nasty gouge in buttstock.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/19/17
JR, cool story.. met him a couples also.. Something a guy doesn't forget.. He was the greatest.. Didn't always agree with him, but he had been there.. Have many of his articles some from the old Riflemen days.. wish there was some way to get it all together in one place..
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/19/17
I have a Rem SP 10 maybe some day someone will take me goose hunting
Posted By: JRP47 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/19/17
JR, cool story.. met him a couples also.. Something a guy doesn't forget.. He was the greatest.. Didn't always agree with him, but he had been there.. Have many of his articles some from the old Riflemen days.. wish there was some way to get it all together in one place..

;)Even to this day, he still seems to have an influence on me and some of my choices. Not long ago, I contacted the manufacturer of his holster, as seen in the earlier photo of him standing by my truck. I was pleasantly surprised when they agreed to my request to make a replica of it. The modern version has a covered trigger guard area, but they made mine the same as Keiths. Slight difference in colour but the same basic design and pattern.

[Linked Image]

I'd have to say, the 4" S&W model 29 is my favorite revolver/handgun. And the one in the following photo is further enhanced by 'wearing' a set of S&W factory ivory grips. I lucked into those at a local gun show and they're the first and only pair I've ever seen smile .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Odessa Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/19/17
This Browning Auto-5 Magnum Twelve has been a goose (and duck) killing machine - plenty of used ones out there for good prices. They just keep on working and are reliable shotguns.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/21/17
JR super nice.44.
Posted By: llamalover2 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/21/17
I'll sell my Swarovski's when I have to argue they are just as good as Bushnells (or leupolds or vortex) I'll sell my ten when
a. it gets too heavy! or
b. when I have to argue that it is "just as good as a twelve"

10's (if you can handload for them) are just the cat's ass for anything big or at longer range.

Do you NEED one? Of course not but you should WANT one! Now the choice between pump/double/auto gets interesting. Nice double up above btw...

I have had 3 BPS 10's and they just keep killing birds, from pheasants to turkeys. Load down to 1-1/4 of lead (pheasants)to 2-1/2 oz for turkeys.

For honkers a swarm of 1-1/2 oz bb's at 1500+ fps is good.
Posted By: JRP47 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/23/17
JR super nice.44.

Thanks. What I have, I have to use in the field be that target shooting or hunting, with one exception. Having met Keith and in appreciation of his many contributions to the world of firearms and hunting, I have recently acquired my one and only 'Safe Queen'.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

smile smile
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/23/17
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I have a Rem SP 10 maybe some day someone will take me goose hunting

We have to remember to link up this year Dan, were live to close not.to
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/23/17
Originally Posted by llamalover2
I'll sell my Swarovski's when I have to argue they are just as good as Bushnells (or leupolds or vortex) I'll sell my ten when
a. it gets too heavy! or
b. when I have to argue that it is "just as good as a twelve"

10's (if you can handload for them) are just the cat's ass for anything big or at longer range.

Do you NEED one? Of course not but you should WANT one! Now the choice between pump/double/auto gets interesting. Nice double up above btw...

I have had 3 BPS 10's and they just keep killing birds, from pheasants to turkeys. Load down to 1-1/4 of lead (pheasants)to 2-1/2 oz for turkeys.

For honkers a swarm of 1-1/2 oz bb's at 1500+ fps is good.

You don't happen to have a YouTube channel do you?
Posted By: llamalover2 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/24/17

You don't happen to have a YouTube channel do you? [/quote]

No I am lucky to get my cell phone to work!

Just made the mistake of patterning some new 2-1/2 oz lead nickel plated #4 yesterday, and have an almond size knot on my cheekbone today...

Brought back fond memories of an old hunt when I shot 17 of them at honkers to get my limit. couldn't shoot the next day just set up the dekes and watched the show!
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/24/17

Just made the mistake of patterning some new 2-1/2 oz lead nickel plated #4 yesterday, and have an almond size knot on my cheekbone today...

Brought back fond memories of an old hunt when I shot 17 of them at honkers to get my limit. couldn't shoot the next day just set up the dekes and watched the show!

Don't get that with a SBE3......
Posted By: llamalover2 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/24/17
What are the components for that 2-1/2 oz SBE load? Would love to load some up.
Posted By: wildfowl Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/26/17
I love my Browning Gold 10 for geese, but have to admit that I am more confident with my 12ga 3.5" because I shoot it way more. I have yet to find a good trap/dove load to shoot through that 10ga which would allow me to shoot it as much as my 12ga gun.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/26/17

Are you guys loco en la cabeza?! crazy grin 2½ ozs. shot @ 1500fps, 10 gauge magnums that put almond size knots on your cheeks, 17 shots and you're so buggered you can't shoot the next day, etc., etc. ??? God looks out for folks like that, I suppose. Maybe not. smile
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/26/17

Are you guys loco en la cabeza?! crazy grin 2½ ozs. shot @ 1500fps, 10 gauge magnums that put almond size knots on your cheeks, 17 shots and you're so buggered you can't shoot the next day, etc., etc. ??? God looks out for folks like that, I suppose. Maybe not. smile

You've never shot s Gold 10 have you?

Less recoil than my extrema2
Posted By: llamalover2 Re: Goose Shotgun - 04/26/17

Gotta practice that reading comprehension stuff. I said 1-1/2 oz (of steel) at 1500 fps 2-1/2 oz (of lead) 1150 fps My point to him was there IS NO LOAD for 2-1/2 oz for a 12...

So his point was you can hunt with less gun and get kicked less, not exactly an unknown concept.

Yes I was a bit crazy back when lead was legal for honkers (1980) Being 20 aint for wimps!

I set up a cocky fella (little man syndrome) told him I was having trouble patterning my 10, wanted help from an expert...

He puffed up and shot about 6-7 as I fed him 2-1/2 oz loads as I shot 2 oz (dove loads!) I was cracking up the whole time cause I KNEW what they do to you!!

At about the 4th one he was shaking his head after the shot, then rubbing his cheek and eventually said I don't really want to shoot anymore Kevin...

Was it kinda mean? yep, Was it funny as hell?? YEPPPP!!!

And these don't compare to the 1-2/3 oz slug loads, I only had the balls to fire a couple of them and they are waiting on my blood trailing of a Cape buffalo with Capstick adventure...
Originally Posted by wildfowl
I love my Browning Gold 10 for geese, but have to admit that I am more confident with my 12ga 3.5" because I shoot it way more. I have yet to find a good trap/dove load to shoot through that 10ga which would allow me to shoot it as much as my 12ga gun.

Do you have a copy of Ballistic Products "The Mighty 10 Ga." Short shells and reduced loads are the key, but maybe won't cycle an auto. different era but the Ithaca Mag 10 was notoriously finicky, as Remington figured out when the took it over. You can go down to 1-1/4oz with ease fill the rest of the case with TP, handy if you have an "in field" emergency!
BTW those 2-1/2 oz lead loads of copper plated BB's would just knock the hell out of the honkers in spite of the relatively slow speed.
© 24hourcampfire