Home
Posted By: eamyrick Utica Sterlingworth - 04/09/17
Have been bent for an American SXS lately and have found a late 30s Utica made Savage Fox Sterlingworth. It's proofed for 2 3/4 16ga which is appealing. I've read lots of online opinions that favor the Philly guns but the premiums on the 16s and 20s is out of my reach. Also considered a Ithaca Flues, NID, or Nitro Special in 20 or 16. Any opinions?
Posted By: kingston Re: Utica Sterlingworth - 04/09/17
Buy it!
Posted By: kingston Re: Utica Sterlingworth - 04/09/17
One plus of a Utica gun will be its modern dimensions. If it's clean and priced right, buy it. Otherwise, please PM me the details and I'll buy it.

smile
Posted By: eamyrick Re: Utica Sterlingworth - 04/09/17
Don't go looking for it! Does $800 seem fair. Lever to right. Clean bores. No cracks. Refinished wood is so so to original plate.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Utica Sterlingworth - 04/09/17
Don't even think twice at that price, if it's clean and locks up tight
How would you compare a Utica Sterlingworth to a Ithaca NID or Nitro in quality?
Posted By: Mesa Re: Utica Sterlingworth - 04/09/17
The Fox and the NID are pretty comparable in quality, grade for grade. Both VERY sturdy shooters.

The Nitro is also very sturdy, but of much lower finish. Still a good/safe shooter with modern ammo.
Thanks guys y'all are a lot of help.
Posted By: model70man Re: Utica Sterlingworth - 04/09/17
I would stay away from the Flues, not as strong. All the others you mentioned are good to go if the barrels and not loose on the frame.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Utica Sterlingworth - 04/09/17
IIRC THE Flues was also prone to splitting the stock at the tang
So many details to know to avoid getting upside down in one of those. A ugartechea 16 bore is also on my list, though obviuosly not as classic.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Utica Sterlingworth - 04/19/17
Get the S/W, they are about as bullet proof of antique guns as you can find. The build quality is the same as the graded guns just don't include the checkering. A small bore for under $1K is a great deal if its in reasonably good shape at all. You won't regret the Fox!
© 24hourcampfire