Home
Got a buddy who’s wife is (obviously) well off, and wants to outfit him with a Barrett .50 for his 50th birthday. Hell likely never shoot past 100, or even 500 with it. He will likely play and try to shoot a hog or two, and keep on hand for SHTF. What optics/mount combos are suited for both hunting and plinking within those parameters.....I.e. starting in the 2-3x range on low end, enough on the top end, durable for a 50, good eye relief, eye box, reticle and bright
enough for dawn and dusk?..I doubt he dials it much, ever...but I would. LOL...I’m putting it together for him, but it’s not normally something I track on a ‘wish list’. LOL

She says she doesn’t care about cost, but I’m trying to adhere to ‘value’ and usefulness.

Mounts, too......thinking 34mm? and +/- $2k ball park?

Thanks
Nikon
nightforce NXS 5-25x56 at cameralandny for $1900
Badger ordinance max 50 rings
SWFA
Huskemaw!!!!
I have terminated a few optics on mine. It currently wears an swfa but I would like to add a nightforce.
I had a Burris that made 9 rounds before the cross hairs became an x.
K
While in sniper school in 1997, I got to shoot one that had Leupold fixed 16 x scope on it. The scope had BDC reticle in it. Not sure if it was custom or factory reticle. The scope worked just fine. I have never seen that version of scope. since.
Originally Posted by Brian
nightforce NXS 5-25x56 at cameralandny for $1900
Badger ordinance max 50 rings

This is the one!
Originally Posted by Higginez
Huskemaw!!!!

I wouldn't be scared to run a Blue Diamond on 'er.
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Nikon

Laffn....
Reupold for Rife!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Reupold makes a 16x?

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

RAUGHING!...................
Originally Posted by Higginez
Huskemaw!!!!

Helluva chainsaw 😜😎
You might take that "SWFA" reply lightly, but don't. I had one on a Barrett and help up very well. Later on I swapped it out for a Vortex Razor, which also is holding up well. I have had those fixed power SS' s on lots of different rifles, and have yet to have an issue with one.
Sightron SIII 6-24 or 8-32, I like the LRMOA reticle, but mil/mil is available if you prefer. Burris Signature XTR rings set up with the spacers so the scope is almost bottomed out in vertical travel leaving you all of the travel left for long range shooting.
If price was no object (or I was getting it for a present/not paying for it), sure make it a Nightforce NXS or ATACR but the SIII 8-32 is my go-to LR scope and I've had many and never had a single problem even on my AR50.
Nightforce
© 24hourcampfire