Home
I'm looking at getting a spotting scope and I just don't see the need for a super expensive Swarovski or similar spotting scope. I have heard and read a few favorable things about the Athlon brand.

What are the differences of significance between the Cronus and Ares models? Cronus appear to be only available in 50mm and 86mm version with a 45-degree eyepiece but, other than that the rest seems a bit vague. Is one really a lot better than the other or worth the added costs?

I'm looking for field uses observing wildlife (birds, hogs, etc.) and to support my shooting on square ranges and on the hunt.

Put another way, if you had ~$1K, what would you buy and why?

Thanks,
Sid
I'd buy the Cronus 86 mm version from Doug at Camerland NY. Best buy at $999.00 . Best bang for your buck. Try them both and send back what you don't want.
I just upgraded to the 20-60x Athlon Cronus and love it for range work. If I wanted one for hunting, I would go with this:
Athlon Ares Straight Body 15-45 w/ 22x Mil reticle
Either way, make sure to call and order directly from Doug. Let him know you're from the Campfire and he will hook you up!
I have the Athlon Cronus 20-60×86 UHD and it is a great scope. Mine was free but at $999.99 it is still a steal.
Originally Posted by CWT
I have the Athlon Cronus 20-60×86 UHD and it is a great scope. Mine was free but at $999.99 it is still a steal.

$849.99 through Sunday night at Midnight smile
Do they have a cover for this scope?
Yes, it comes with a cover and caps. Going to be sewing some velcro on the cover flaps so I can keep them open when using at the range.
Thank you
© 24hourcampfire