Home
All i've ever used over the years has been a straight bodied spotter and I'm currently looking for a new one but they only offer it in the angled version. For those that use the angled spotters, do you have any issues using them having to look down all the time? I wondering about neck fatigue or cramping.
I actually have less neck fatigue with angled
I have used a straight one for years and prefer them. A couple of years ago I bought an angled just because it was so reasonably priced and after using it I still prefer the straight bodied. With the straight one I can see a distant object and point the scope at it and usually find it with little fuss or searching. But with the angled one looking down and trying to find a distant object is a problem for me, it is just not natural to look down to try to find something that is directly in front of me.

To me the strong suit of the angled is for target shooting - it can be set next to the rifle and the eyepiece rotated so that it requires very little head movement to look through it.

drover
Originally Posted by drover
I have used a straight one for years and prefer them. A couple of years ago I bought an angled just because it was so reasonably priced and after using it I still prefer the straight bodied. With the straight one I can see a distant object and point the scope at it and usually find it with little fuss or searching. But with the angled one looking down and trying to find a distant object is a problem for me, it is just not natural to look down to try to find something that is directly in front of me.

To me the strong suit of the angled is for target shooting - it can be set next to the rifle and the eyepiece rotated so that it requires very little head movement to look through it.

drover
This was another one of my concerns, glad to see that I'm not the only one.
Binos and riflescope are straight and easy to aquire targets. Deviating is just something for Murphy to mess with you. I tried a Swaro angled 65 spotter after much urging to change from my local dealer. Managed to get in on a decent ram but while trying to age him at close range could not get it pointed in the right direction for the brief time he gave me on one side. To say I was quite PO'd would be an understatement. I drove 3hrs back to the dealer and immediatly exchanged it for the straight model I wanted in the first place!! Happy ending, as I managed to locate the ram a few days later and determine he was legal and now he stares at me on the wall... Good for me bad for him...

drover
Correct. It's really handy for competition.
The only time I’ve ever found a straight scope preferable to an angled scope is in a vehicle window mount. Otherwise, angled for all the marbles.
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

drover

Same here, have used both and much prefer straight.
I have both and I guess I just got used to them over the years because neither one really bothers me. If I had to pick one style over the other I'd go with the angled. Nice thing about the angled is the previously mentioned ability to rotate the eyepiece for certain situations.
If you are over 6 ft tall and plan on standing....angled
I prefer straight for hunting or spotting targets for someone else, angled for prone spotting of my own targets.

Now that I've given up formal target shooting I only own a straight spotting scope.
Originally Posted by tedthorn

You’ve got to be kidding.
Originally Posted by Brad

I am 6'4" and amazingly, I agree with Brad for about the first time.
It seems the trend the last few years has been toward angled spotters, for me I just don't get it.
The angled is counterintuitive, if it's so great why not an angled rifle scope ????????

I was on a bighorn sheep hunt a couple years ago where more than one guide service was involved (aka: debacle), one of my coworkers had the new at the time Swarovski BTX. I fell in love with that spotter but just couldn't get past the angled. I could always find them faster with my straight. If Swarovski ever offered the BTX in a straight I would be the first in line
On average, the guy with the angled spotter will be the one asking "where?" The straight spotter will have the target located long before the angled spotter. With brown bears and moose I often sit with multiple glassers looking at distant hillsides for many hours a day and just about every type and quality of glass gets used. Very few angled spotter users are very effective compared to the straight spotter users and a new critter spotted in a new direction/place usually turns into a major cluster for some.

Idahopro and another long-time hunting buddy have shown it can be done (and well), but they are the exception IME.
Count me in as a straight guy.

However, the reasoning for it is as follows: My buddy had a straight Bushnell. That's what used initially. When I got my spotting scope, it was straight as well.

When I got the farm, I built a shooting bench that assumed a straight scope. I've been using it and the scope for 20 years.

I'm sure that, had Bob had an angled scope, I'd be shooting with one and never thought twice about it.

When I'm spotting game, I'm using astronomical binos.
Have both and am 6'4". I like the straight when shooting from the bench. Outside of the range, I prefer the angled for all else.

I prefer angled by far
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
On average, the guy with the angled spotter will be the one asking "where?" The straight spotter will have the target located long before the angled spotter. With brown bears and moose I often sit with multiple glassers looking at distant hillsides for many hours a day and just about every type and quality of glass gets used. Very few angled spotter users are very effective compared to the straight spotter users and a new critter spotted in a new direction/place usually turns into a major cluster for some.

Idahopro and another long-time hunting buddy have shown it can be done (and well), but they are the exception IME.

It only takes a bit of practice to lean to find game fast with an angled. It's not rocket science.
Originally Posted by jwp475

It only takes a bit of practice to lean to find game fast with an angled. It's not rocket science.

I agree it's not rocket science, but it's just a fact that it is easier and faster to find something you are looking at rather than looking away from...................
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I agree it's not rocket science, but it's just a fact that it is easier and faster to find something you are looking at rather than looking away from...................

I would have agreed with you before I got my angled. Once I familiarized myself with the angled, I find it just as fast for me and much more comfortable to use

I would have agreed with you before I got my angled. Once I familiarized myself with the angled, I find it just as fast for me and much more comfortable to use

After hundreds of instances where others could not find a critter in their angled scope, yet immediately found it in a straight scope I have to see it the other way. I personally know of more than a few guys that bought angled and swapped to straight but none off the top of my head that went the other way.

I agree angled is more comfortable, and the way to go at the range, but the average guy glassimg and trying to find a specific animal is going to be far faster with a straight scope.
It seems the trend the last few years has been toward angled spotters, for me I just don't get it.
The angled is counterintuitive, if it's so great why not an angled rifle scope ????????

I was on a bighorn sheep hunt a couple years ago where more than one guide service was involved (aka: debacle), one of my coworkers had the new at the time Swarovski BTX. I fell in love with that spotter but just couldn't get past the angled. I could always find them faster with my straight. If Swarovski ever offered the BTX in a straight I would be the first in line

Angled outsells straight by a bunch. They probably get range time before hunting time and being able to point it at the target first and leave it there makes it seem reasonable.
the straight vs angled debate makes sense to me on the straight being more intuitive like throwing a rifle up or binocs where the straight would reign supreme. but, since i only use mine for sighting in on a bench i prefer angled personally. i get the argument for both tho........
Big Ed
All i've ever used over the years has been a straight bodied spotter and I'm currently looking for a new one but they only offer it in the angled version. For those that use the angled spotters, do you have any issues using them having to look down all the time? I wondering about neck fatigue or cramping.

I have used both and I prefer the straight. I don't find it easy to find what I am looking for or comfortable to view with the angled.

This is pretty much my situation as well along with the occasional sheep hunt. I'm pretty good at spotting game with the straight spotter and probably should stick with that as I ain't getting any younger. The main reason for the question was because I had found a spotter on sale that was only offered in the angled version at a very good price but as of now I am leaning heavily towards the straight spotter.
Have had both. Prefer angled. Here's my take on it,

Straight is a bit faster for a quick orientation on a distant point.

With a rotating angled eyepiece you can pan and tilt an enormous distance without the need to shift your tripod, or your position. Angled also allows a lower tripod, and easier uphill viewing.
Angled for me and I have used both extensively.

Then you must love to bend over.....
You ever do time?
I have both. I use an angled now but have been thinking about going straight (shut up you pervs).

It can be an issue to find a critter with an angled but a guy gets used to it and can get quick. I also spend maybe 1/100th of the time looking through it vs binos, so it taking longer to find a critter generally isn't an issue for me, and neither is neck fatigue.
Ain’t no way you’d ever go straight.

I prefer straight. Use binos way more as well and straight makes switching much easier.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have both. I use an angled now but have been thinking about going straight (shut up you pervs).

It can be an issue to find a critter with an angled but a guy gets used to it and can get quick. I also spend maybe 1/100th of the time looking through it vs binos, so it taking longer to find a critter generally isn't an issue for me, and neither is neck fatigue.

Straight...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by JGRaider
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There's quite a few optics in that photo. Where you there to keep an eye on the turbines? smile

At 6'4" I switched to angled spotters years ago and it is much better, if I was using it with a window mount I would get a straight body scope..

Then you must love to bend over.....
You ever do time?

Really? You seem to have the experience...

Use a real tripod and real men do not have to bend over.

While mentioning tripods... the head makes a HUGE difference in user-friendliness. From Doug I have gotten several different fluid-drive pan heads and the difference is incredible. SIRUI VH-10 is the bigger one I use now and really like it. I use the next size down in the same line for smaller scopes. I also have two different sizes of Manfroto pan heads and really like them just fine, but the SIRUI line is cheaper.
Here is a link to the head I like best at Cameraland.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/sirui...0136-2997-00163ecd2826?variation=1967752

With the Vortex Razor UHD 18x56 Bino on this head it is incredible how effectively a mountain can be glassed!

https://vortexoptics.com/razor-uhd-18x56-binocular.html
I’ve owned and used both, and prefer angled. Most of my spotting scope use is in mountains hunting Stone sheep, goats, caribou and the angled for me is more versatile in body positioning and comfort. It can be a little trickier to get on target, but a non issue in my experience. For me the versatility easily outweighs any difference.
If I was in flat terrain all the time, then maybe the angled wouldn’t have the advantage of versatility and straight may be a better choice for me.

I will add that one disadvantage I see in angled for backpacking is in the shape. In a full backpack, I find it easier to pack an angled spotter with the eyepiece removed.
When hunting with partial pack load, it’s no issue.
Straight for me quicker and easier especially if someone wants to look and moves it. Often you have one good look to determine if you go after game. Anxious to try out my Phone Scope adapter this year.
Originally Posted by ribka

Same here.
Straight for me.
I've always used a straight, no plans to change as it seems I'm almost always sitting when using the spotter.
Always better to be straight than crooked

drover

Same here.

Well after the end of WW2 lots of very large binoculars began showing up in this country brought home by servicemen.
Mostly German and Jap, and many of them having angled eyepieces.
These were and still are awsome quality optics if in good clean condition.
But today myself and most others no longer use them for a variety of reasons.
The alternative is 2 spotting scopes in a machined fully adjustable bracket.
The scopes used regardless of brand are straight rather than angled because you just cant use the angled ones for that purpose.
As for a group hunting together, and the one using the angled being at a disadvantage, that would be because those doing the directing to a target are poor at doing it.
Regardless of scope used, one hunter should be able to walk the other to the target easily starting from a point both can plainly see.
Both types can have an advantage in some circumstances for long glassing sessions.
Tried them both.

For me:

Angled for the range, straight for hunting.

Prefer straight for all around.
Originally Posted by yobuck

Well after the end of WW2 lots of very large binoculars began showing up in this country brought home by servicemen.
Mostly German and Jap, and many of them having angled eyepieces.
These were and still are awsome quality optics if in good clean condition.
But today myself and most others no longer use them for a variety of reasons.
The alternative is 2 spotting scopes in a machined fully adjustable bracket.
The scopes used regardless of brand are straight rather than angled because you just cant use the angled ones for that purpose.
As for a group hunting together, and the one using the angled being at a disadvantage, that would be because those doing the directing to a target are poor at doing it.
Regardless of scope used, one hunter should be able to walk the other to the target easily starting from a point both can plainly see.
Both types can have an advantage in some circumstances for long glassing sessions.

So you are suggesting most poor communicators use straight spotters? Or could it be most angled scope users are poor listeners? Or poor direction followers? How come the straight ones follow the same directions at the same time right to the spot? Angled spotters require different directions?
wink
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by ribka

Same here.

I agree, but it is possible to use them pain-free with a bit of extra messing around. I gladly give that up for the sake of speed.

I would have agreed with you before I got my angled. Once I familiarized myself with the angled, I find it just as fast for me

It defies common sense, logic and reality.......... but you go boy

I would have agreed with you before I got my angled. Once I familiarized myself with the angled, I find it just as fast for me

It defies common sense, logic and reality.......... but you go boy

With an open peep sight on an angled spotter, let alone with some practice I find the inability to quickly get on a critter pretty much a moot point.

One thing a poster mentioned previously is that with angled spotters I always am wondering if I am torquing the eyepiece and damaging it when I have my pack cinched down real tight. That could certainly happen with a straight eyepiece too, so maybe it is just a mental thing on my part.

I dunno....
© 24hourcampfire