Home
Posted By: TripleL05 Recommendations on 8x Binocs - 08/05/22
Looking for some recommendations or opinions on 8x binoculars for hunting in the $500-700 range. Anyone have any strong opinions? Would prefer 8x42 but am open to others. I could probably be talked into spending $1k if it really is a big jump, but would prefer to stay at $700 or less. Thank you in advance
I have the Tract Toric UHD 8x42 binoculars and am very happy with them. Current retail is $684.

Best Wishes,

GrimJim
+1 on the Tract. Nice glass that's tough to beat without spending quite a bit more. They have periodic sales if you aren't in a rush.
Yep, if you’d like to buy new in that price range, another vote for the Tract Torics.
If you have time on your side and some patience, watch the classified section here for a used pair.
What they said.
I have a pair of Tract Torics I’m going to list for sale if you’re interested. I bought them at Christmas last year. They’re in perfect condition and the only reason I’m selling is because I bought a pair of Swarovski SLC. I just sent you a PM with my contact info if your interested.
I have heard good things about the Burris Signature HD 8x42 binoculars, they can be found for $399, which is under your stated price range .
Call Doug at Cameraland. He handles them all and knows who has the best current deals, etc.... Guy is a treasure.
I have no experience with the Toric, but would like to check them out. I read at another forum that they are the same basic design as the Zeiss Conquest HD, made by Kamakura. I don't know if that is true or not though.

If you don't mind a 33mm and can spend $800 (CameralandNY), I think the Kowa Genesis 8x33 is really nice. I was only moderately impressed with them at first, but after owning them for nearly a year I have really come to appreciate them. They don't give me any sort of WOW factor like some other binoculars but they seem to do everything well with no serious faults to my eyes. I've been comparing them to different makes/models over the past year and the more I use and compare them, the more impressed I have become.
For what it's worth, I've been shopping for sub-$1k binoculars in 10x42 format. Based on recommendations here and some other forums, these are the ones that keep getting mentioned for 8x and 10x:

Tract Toric
Zeiss Conquest HD
Nikon HG
GPO (Passion?)
Meostar
Maven B
Kowa Genesis

I recently bought 10x42 Nikon HG and they are stunning to my eyes. But they have some faults that I do not see in the Kowa 8x33. I know, apples and oranges and you are interested in 8x. Good luck.
In no particular order:

Zeiss Conquest 8x42

Kowa Genesis 8.5x44

GPO 8x42 Passion HD

Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD 8x42

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments
I have a Nikon Monarch M7 8x42 that is a nice binocular. It's also pretty light at 23 ounces. Cost is just under $500.
Check with Scott at Liberty Optics he offers unbeatable prices and can get just about anything you want
Another vote for Tract. I have both 8x and 10x. At my age I prefer the 8x.
I owned both the 10x and 8x Tracts and sold the 10x's. The 8x are phenomenal for the price point in terms of brightness and clarity.
Leupold BX 4 Pro Guide HD 8x42

Nikon M7 8x42

At the lower end of your price range and quite good to boot.

My 2cents....
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ
I owned both the 10x and 8x Tracts and sold the 10x's. The 8x are phenomenal for the price point in terms of brightness and clarity.

Couldn't agree more.
Thank you all for your recommendations. Birddog was able to hook me up with a pair of 8x Tracts. Excited for the upgrade.
You will be very pleased 🤠
Posted By: Dre Re: Recommendations on 8x Binocs - 08/07/22
I have monarch 7 and tracts.
No comparison With Tract for The win
You’ll love ‘em
I shipped them out today, you should have them Thursday. Tracking info sent to you via text earlier today.
I think 8x30s are the sweet spot for general purpose binoculars. Not too powerful and not too big and heavy. Roof prism binoculars are generally preferred over porro prism binoculars for brightness. Expensive is generally better than inexpensive. If you think cameras and lenses are complicated, wait until you enter the rabbit hole of binoculars.

My recommendation is to visit an outdoor sports supercenter and look through as many binoculars as you can. Ask the guy at the counter to help you adjust the binoculars so both left and right eyes are in focus. Take your time. Then go home and research the ones you liked. Then go back and look again and maybe buy and maybe not.

When you do buy be sure to check that your pair has good alignment and nothing unusual optically.

Binoculars come in three basic catagories:

1: Junk. 2: Pretty darned good and not too expensive. 3: WOW. I can see why these cost sooo much!

Good luck.
© 24hourcampfire