Home
I'm looking for one to put on a savage lightweight hunter in 308win. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for looking.
I have a straight 4 power Leupold on my 257 Roberts. It has been a good scope for 10 or more years. It is a dirt simple no dialing affair. It even takes tools to zero it. But it holds zero and has worked well for a long time. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
I would go with a Japanese made Weaver Classic K-4x.

Owned plenty of them over the years, and they simply work.
swift 4x42 ...
Kaps: https://www.kaps-optik.de/en/sport-optics/rifle-scopes/classic-line/classic-line-4-x-36.html
Originally Posted by fish30ought6
swift 4x42 ...

Only seeing a 4x40 and a 4x32. Both are the Reliant line and not the Premier line. The 3" of relief on the 4x40 is gunna blow biscuits.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I'm looking for one to put on a savage lightweight hunter in 308win. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Have you considered a 1-4x24? Bushnell has a new 1-4x24 Elite 4500 4x (Made in Korea) for right around $200 on sale and about $250 full price. Less than 16oz and roughly 4" of eye relief. Plain duplex too.

https://www.bushnell.com/riflescope...24-riflescope-multi-x/BU-REL1424BS3.html
Nice. They actually list the COO in the specs. Tract does that too.
Thanks men. I have some research to do. I appreciate your help.
sorry. 4x40 swift reliant. about 3.25' ER. sufficient for lighter recoiling rifles. i'd much prefer 4-4.5" but it'll do for the little bit of hunting i do nowadays. mine's on a .308.
Leupold M8-4x is a great scope & hard to beat. But if your rifle is a Savage 99 a Weaver El Paso K4 just seems to be right!
Don’t the Germans make some?
Thanks men. I have some research to do. I appreciate your help.

Pay attention to the scope length and what you will need to make it work for you on a Savage short action. Sometimes depending on specs you dont have much wiggle room between the bells and turret to get the relief where you need it without getting a rail. Them light weight hunters are pretty cool so im assuming keeping the weight reasonable is part of your goal.

Hankins sells a pretty nice Savage 7075 rail but only in 20MOA. At $55 its one of the better priced options and wont add much weight.
https://hanksprecisiongunparts.com/p/savage-aluminum-20-moa-picatinny-rail-6-48-savage-short
If you're not in a hurry, I regularly see 4x scopes listed by Amoskeag Auctions in their Optics section whenever they have a sale:

https://www.amoskeagauction.com/

Last year I got a combined lot of two scopes with a Weaver Marksman 4x in great condition and a New Old Stock Tasco Ranger 4x32 in its original box that had never been mounted for $44.06. Based on the quality of both scopes, I felt like this was a good deal ($37.50 winning bid + 17.5% buyer's premium). Their last auction a few weeks ago had a couple of Weaver 4x and a pair of Leupold M8-4x scopes listed.
Thanks again for the responses. It seems weaver is out of business and I can't find a leupold 4x anywhere except for a rimfire version with thin reticle. I'll keep looking. Thanks again men.
There are at least 60 used 4X scopes with CH reticle on Ebay.

I picked up a 6x Kaps from Artur...

26mm tube was a PITA to solve, but the glass is amazing for a 30 year old optic.
Originally Posted by Overkill45

Have you considered a 1-4x24? Bushnell has a new 1-4x24 Elite 4500 4x (Made in Korea) for right around $200 on sale and about $250 full price. Less than 16oz and roughly 4" of eye relief. Plain duplex too.

https://www.bushnell.com/riflescope...24-riflescope-multi-x/BU-REL1424BS3.html

I can recommend the new Elite 4500’s as I have 2 the 2.5-10 and the 1-4. If you qualify, Bushnell has a military discount and can be had even cheaper.
I have made 5 orders from Karl Kaps in Germany. All were shipped and arrived on time as they described.
I made 2 separate orders for the 4 x 36 with 30mm tube and they were on time to me in Hawaii.

The best deal now, and I made 2 separate orders were for the 8 x 42 binos, Made in Japan for delivered to me for under $300.00.To compare these, I have the Leica Ultravid HD and the Zeiss Victory FL, and these were equal in my eyes.
pm sent.
Aside from some rather boutique makers like Kaps and some cheap crap, there really isn't much. Companies just don't make traditional 4x scopes any more. All the newly developed 4x scopes are prismatics. You pretty much have to shop used or just buy a variable of the size and weight that works for you.

ILya
Just talked with Leupold about a 4X I had returned. Could not repair and said had no idea when I might get a new 4X to replace but that it would be quite some time. Had to go with a 2X7 as replacement.
Find a Leupold M8-4x and never look back
We have a few of the Leupold FX-I Rimfire 4x28mm Matte - Fine Duplex scopes in stock
Thanks to Doug, I got one of the 4x rimfire Leupold scopes for Christmas this year.
Pm sent
I just mounted a Leupold M8 4X on an old Browning BAR .3o/o6

Looks clean as a whistle and is going to make a nice deer stand rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Hawke Vantage 4x
If you can find one, the Weaver Grand Slam 4.75X are very nice scopes. They are made in Japan. Glass is very good. They are tough. They come up for sale here and there.

I had a couple Leupold 4x years back. They seemed solid. Still have one of the smaller rimfire versions on a 22 mag.
Thanks again for the responses. It seems weaver is out of business and I can't find a leupold 4x anywhere except for a rimfire version with thin reticle. I'll keep looking. Thanks again men.
I bet the Leupold custom shop will put in whatever reticle you want. At least they used to.
The FxII 4x was a good one !
Originally Posted by Mike_S
I bet the Leupold custom shop will put in whatever reticle you want. At least they used to.

The custom shop has been kaput for a good while now.
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Find a Leupold M8-4x and never look back

Great advice. Especially one's from the 90's on back.
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Its been shut down for a couple of years now.

I offered a NIB 4x Leupold FX-II (click adjustments, plex reticle, non-rimfire version scope) to the OP. He/she wrote back he/she wouldn't be able to see the thinner part of the plex reticle.

If that is the case, finding a suitable ( "see-able") reticle will be the bigger challenge than finding a "decent" fixed 4x scope.
Nikon used to make a good 4X. I have one on my 308 and have been very happy with it.
Originally Posted by MrWilson

I have a FXII 4x33 I have decided I probably won’t need. It’s in excellent condition. I’d bought it new and mounted it on one of my children’s rifles. It probably has maybe 50 rounds fired from underneath it and spent its life in the safe. It’s matte black with the Leupold duplex reticle.

$235+shipping
Have several Leupold 4x that just simply work
Originally Posted by Tommy_guns

One good thing about them is that they are long enough to fit easy on a long action.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
If you can fudge up just a bit the FX3 6x42 is terrific. I have 3 now and still look for another. I like a no knob twist, set and go scope. I’m old fashioned, I like knowing where to hold.

Osky
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
We have a few of the Leupold FX-I Rimfire 4x28mm Matte - Fine Duplex scopes in stock
Doug.
Week back I asked you if there were any new good low power scopes at the SHOT show.
Obviously there is a demand for this! Constantly on this web site.

Talk to reputable companies to bring back these scopes.
4x, 6x, 1-6 or 2-8 that are lite and hunting rifle rifle ready. Not AR LPVO
That means 28-42 mm objectives ?
US made and maybe around $250-500 ?
Or Am I wrong?
Originally Posted by Dre
Doug.
Week back I asked you if there were any new good low power scopes at the SHOT show.

Or Am I wrong?

US made and $250 - $500 is a dream I do not think will become reality.

I spoke with a few companies and have belief we'll see a quality 2-7 or 2-8x35

Hawke did announce:
Vantage 30 WA IR 1–4x24 Fiber Dot 1/2 MOA Low-Profile
Vantage 30 WA IR 1–8x24 Fiber Dot1/2 MOA Low-Profile
Vantage 30 WA IR 1–8x24 L4A Dot 1/2 MOA Low-Profile
Vantage 30 WA IR 1–8x24 Circle Dot 1/2 MOA Low-Profile
Vantage 30 WA IR 1–8x24 5.56 Tactical 8x 1/2 MOA Low-Profile
Vantage IR 1–4x20 Turkey Dot IR 1/4 MOA Low-Profile (50yd PX, 4"ER)
XB30 2–7x32 SR 1/2 MOA Low-Profile

Athlon announced:
Heras 2-12x42 Riflescopes
Originally Posted by Dre
Doug.

Or Am I wrong?

I'm afraid we don't represent the overall market.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I have a FXII 4x33 I have decided I probably won’t need. It’s in excellent condition. I’d bought it new and mounted it on one of my children’s rifles. It probably has maybe 50 rounds fired from underneath it and spent its life in the safe. It’s matte black with the Leupold duplex reticle.

$235+shipping
Is it gloss or matte finish?
Originally Posted by 4570fan
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

$235+shipping
Is it gloss or matte finish?
A 2-7x33 Leupold is about the same size as a 4x and gives you the versatility of a variable.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Just bought another one here on the campfire as a spare...excellent scopes. Another good one is the Lyman All American. I have 2 later ones with the Perma-Center duplex reticle. Bright, clear and simple.
Bob
Originally Posted by Dre
Doug.

Or Am I wrong?

Hawke did announce:

Athlon announced:

Thanks for the quick reply!
Yes I know $250-500 is pipe dream, but reality. Majority of Guys don’t want so spend $800-1200. Look at all the threads.

Great news on the possibility of some quality2-7/8 scopes.
Please! don’t take this wrong way, I know you’re just throwing out different options. But out of all the scopes you suggested only one xb30 or maybe two the 1-4x 20 turkey is what I asked about. All the others are AR use scopes that I SPECIFICALLY didn’t want. Because of the salesman push and numbers sold, there are no good options for hunters.

Look at this way, I’m a GC, and you ask me to give you a bid on a remodel. You’re going for modern Kitchen look, Like high gloss flat slab look.
I come back with a bid and drawings with hickory raised panel that you’d see in a cabin. You tell me that’s not you want. So I come back with shaker style stained walnut and the island Alone is high gloss white . because the 2 tone kitchens is what’s selling right now.
You’d tell me to go what?
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
A 2-7x33 Leupold is about the same size as a 4x and gives you the versatility of a variable.

I agree ...... I like the 7x at the range and leave it set on 3x while hunting.

I'm down to only two 4x scopes now. One on my 300H&H and another I use as a spare in QD mounts on a 30-06.
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Doug.

Or Am I wrong?

Hawke did announce:

Athlon announced:

Thanks for the quick reply!
Yes I know $250-500 is pipe dream, but reality. Majority of Guys for want so spend $800-1200. Look at all the threads.

Great news on the possibility of some quality2-7/8 scopes.
Please! don’t take this wrong way, I know you’re just throwing out different options. But out of all the scopes you suggested only one xb30 or maybe two the 1-4x 20 turkey is what I asked about. All the others are AR use scopes that I SPECIFICALLY didn’t want. Because of the salesman push and numbers sold, there are no good options for hunters.

I hear what you're saying, however, with the reticle and quality I still think the Vantage 30 WA IR 1–8x24 L4A Dot 1/2 MOA Low-Profile is a viable option
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Just bought another one here on the campfire as a spare...excellent scopes. Another good one is the Lyman All American. I have 2 later ones with the Perma-Center duplex reticle. Bright, clear and simple.
Bob

The only thing about the Classic K4 is that they are a bit short on the straight section where the rings go. They fit fine on a short action but can be a bit trickier on a long action. Other than that, they are a good scope and are a very good value for what they sell for.

Classic in the middle between two different generation Leupolds. All 4 power.

Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Dre
Doug.

Or Am I wrong?

I'm afraid we don't represent the overall market.

Yup. About forty-eleven optics companies have apparently reached the conclusion that a real market doesn’t exist.
I put a k6 on a .300savR760 and have been very pleased with it
If used is ok lool at the lyman allamericans. Have a 4x and a 6x nice scopes. The 6x was bought in 53 and never need to be adjusted since the first sighting in. Its on a pretty good thumper a 7x61.
As another posted, for current production, have a look at Karl Laps 4x36. Limited choice of reticules though.

Suggest haunting eBay.com and looking for s/h S&B 4x36.
Another thought but not what you wanted/asked, find a Swarovski Habicht A 3-9x36 and leave on 4x, or use 6x when needed. These come with my preferred Plex reticule. There are also the current production Z3 scopes.
The Swarovski scopes are quite a bit lighter circa 340grams versus circa 450grams for the Kaps.
Another thing, the Kaps scopes have 90mm eye relief versus 80mm of the S&B. This is circa 3.5 inches bs 3.25 inches or thereabouts. The. S&B tube is 26mm diameter. The Laps 30mm.

I have the 4x36 S&B. Given there are more 30mm scope ring mounts and the Laps has a airly decent eye relief, my preference now doing it from scratch would be the Kaps with German #4 reticle.
I have a few Leupolds fixed power scopes, mostly 6x and 4x. I like them
But but but, you can not twist the knobs on those. How can you possibly hunt with them? :-]
Maybe I am just lazy, stupid / ignorant, but I have doubts about the usefulness of twist turrets on hunting scope rifles. Deer and foxes do not stand still for long / long enough to range, adjust scope. Unless you are shooting at longer ranges and at undisturbed deer etc, then okay. But that is not hunting to me. Longest shots I have taken at deer were in the 270-290 yard range.

I maybe some sort of 'Steam Punk' person, but I like simpler things - less to go wrong (RAM). Also for lighter rifles and those with more kick, say transitioning from true lwt 30-06 and the 300Win Mag, lighter scopes with lower inertia do better / survive longer. Of course the internal mechanics help, hence the on going discussion on boards of Swarovski Z3 vs.Z6 scopes. I am sufficiently spooked about this, that if I was travelling a long way I would take two identical scopes and Z6 over Z3 for the hunt of a lifetime and accept the message extra weight, particularly on a lighter magnum rifle. Steel mounts too.
Originally Posted by Bugger
I have a few Leupolds fixed power scopes, mostly 6x and 4x. I like them

Originally Posted by Tommy_guns

I agree. The 4X is not lacking in eye relief either, 4+". Leupold FX II, 4X33. Ruger Hawkeye UL, 257 Roberts long action, Ruger low rings. Not much wiggle room on the long action, but it works.

© 24hourcampfire