Home
Posted By: himmelrr Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
We have a cheap, crappy set for the house to view wildlife but she grabbed my good Swarovskis last week and was shocked how much better they are. No kidding. Now she wants a better set for the house and an Alaska cruise we have planned.

What are good ones around $200 that are not made in china? I do not care about weight, prism type or general size. These will NOT be hunting binoculars! Are there any zoom types that would fit into this equation?
Posted By: Backroads Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
You are looking at this the wrong way.

Buy yourself a new pair of whatever you want, move your old Swaro's to house and cruise duty.
Posted By: hanco Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
Vortex
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
The only thing I can think for you is to find a pair of Steiner 8X30 military marine binoculars for about 250.00. They are made in Germany and are sharp for the money. They probably are as sharp as vipers at least those gen 1 vipers at sale right now. They don't suck.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
Sightron 8x32
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
Call Doug....

It really is that easy
In the interest of domestic tranquility -
I would up the price range, and let the wife choose.
If I were you. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
Let her pick out a pair for a Christmas present.
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
Dvor has Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x42 @$125…
Tract
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by himmelrr
We have a cheap, crappy set for the house to view wildlife ...

We have a good set of binoculars for the house because it gets used a lot.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by tjm10025
We have a cheap, crappy set for the house to view wildlife ...

We have a good set of binoculars for the house because it gets used a lot.

I should go this route. I hunt with Meopta Meostars in 8x32 and 7x42. I really like the glass in these two. On pouring rain days an old pair of Minox 6.5x32 IF's because I'll "shirt tail" those lenses when I have to.

Our house bino's are an older pair of Minox BV 8x42's...they aren't bad but they aren't really nice either.

The hunting bino's get used from mid-Oct through early Feb 2-3 days a week. The house bino's get used year round, almost every day, generally multiple times a day. Really doesn't make sense to go cheap on the ones that get used the most.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by Backroads

Buy yourself a new pair of whatever you want, move your old Swaro's to house and cruise duty.

I can’t give a better suggestion than this!…haha.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by kaboku68
The only thing I can think for you is to find a pair of Steiner 8X30 military marine binoculars for about 250.00. They are made in Germany and are sharp for the money. They probably are as sharp as vipers at least those gen 1 vipers at sale right now. They don't suck.

I will second the Steiner 8x30 Military Marine. I have used these for 30 years. We also have a Vortex 10x we bought for around the house, bigger, but we like the Steiner better. Tried a Nikon 8×42 which are ok, but Steiners win out
Posted By: remaction Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
I bought my wife some Leupold Yosemite 6x30's about 15 years ago. I believe they are prior to the Yosemite BX-1 model. Anyhow, these have been great binos for us and in my opinion, punch well above their price point. Check them out.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by remaction
I bought my wife some Leupold Yosemite 6x30's about 15 years ago. I believe they are prior to the Yosemite BX-1 model. Anyhow, these have been great binos for us and in my opinion, punch well above their price point. Check them out.

That’s what mine has too and she hasn’t ever asked for anything else.
Posted By: Schmidtx2 Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
Another vote for steiner, excellent binoculars
Posted By: drover Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/09/22
We have a cheap, crappy set for the house to view wildlife but she grabbed my good Swarovskis last week and was shocked how much better they are. No kidding. Now she wants a better set for the house and an Alaska cruise we have planned.

So what I am reading is that your wife does not deserve to have a binocular as good as yours. The easy answer is to give her your Swaros and buy a cheap binocular for yourself. Why do you deserve a good binocular and she doesn't?

drover
Posted By: Smokey262 Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/10/22
https://cameralandny.com/shop/kowa-...tion=1997095&query=kowa%20binoculars
Recently got a Steiner Predator AF 8x30 (auto focus) for $199 from Doug! Love em!
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/10/22
How about a picture of your wife so I know what I’m trading my binoculars for??? 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Originally Posted by Whelenman
How about a picture of your wife so I know what I’m trading my binoculars for??? 😂😂😂😂😂😂

This should be moved to the classifieds section.. I'd probably be willing to give up my Leupold BX3 Mojaves, but my new range finding 10x42 Leica geovids: Hell NO!!! I agree though, he needs to post up pics of wife..
Posted By: Border Doc Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/10/22
Another vote for marital bliss. The house binoculars can be bigger, like 10X and 50, and heavier than you might want to carry in the field, and quality glass is available.

This is the time to be a really good husband. Do what the lady wants.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Tract
Please let me know where to find Tracts for $200!
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/10/22

Came here to say this...+1
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/10/22
Originally Posted by BKinSD

Came here to say this...+1

I will probably do this.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/10/22
Vortex Viper at Cabelas for $299 is awesome!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/10/22

Bingo!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/10/22
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Right!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/11/22
My wife rolls through the woods with her Swarovski's 8x SLC. She's a great hunting buddy who is always a joy to be with.
She has 3 hunting rifles. She knows how shoot. When she is hunting, she knows there is nothing better than a fresh gut pile.

If I was you, I'd get your wife whatever kind of binoculars she wanted. Life is too short to worry over something like this.
Never take anything for granted.

Wishing you all the best.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/11/22
My wife uses hers many times a day. Swaro 8x32 ELs. She had the leupolds before these came home for a trade I made . She is very happy with them. We have lots of wildlife to look at
Posted By: GRF Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/11/22
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Call Doug....

It really is that easy

Makes sense, I wish Doug could ship across the medicine line, the dude has great prices and a huge level of knowledge. I let my wife choose her own binos as an astigmatism made her nauseous with cheap binos. She ended with a set of Zeiss and she loves them.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/11/22
Originally Posted by GRF
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Call Doug....

It really is that easy

Makes sense, I wish Doug could ship across the medicine line, the dude has great prices and a huge level of knowledge. I let my wife choose her own binos as an astigmatism made her nauseous with cheap binos. She ended with a set of Zeiss and she loves them.

We can ship all but Swarovski and Leupold to Canada, however, I do suggest that all the Canadians reach out to my buddy Robbie.....

Robbie Stewart
Shooting Warehouse
p: (+1) 403-390-8008 | e: [email protected]
w: www.shootingwarehouse.com | a: 17 Swift Creek Green, Calgary, AB, T3Z 0B6, Canada

He's a brother from another mother and will hook you up.
Posted By: Dre Re: Binoculars for the wife - 12/12/22
Midway vortex 10x42 diamond back $129

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420121029?pid=927718
© 24hourcampfire