Home
Posted By: pabucktail A Kaps order update..... - 12/09/22
Back in December of 2021, I ordered a Kaps Classic 4X direct from the company in Germany. I paid with the Visa and they expected to deliver in 4-6 weeks. That stretched into months and months. Emails were only answered sporadically. I even called them several times. In emails and during calls they claimed covid supply chain issues were affecting production. Finally, in early November I called again and was told they anticipated producing the 4x in February 2023. That did it, I wanted a refund. They said that would be no problem, but once again failed to follow up on emails. When I called again, the fellow I'd been in touch with was unavailable. Yesterday I logged a dispute with Visa. They're going to credit my account and deal with Kaps directly.

From what I can tell it seems Kaps makes a quality product. Unfortunately, they don't seem to care much about the American market or customer service. My experience is just one so who knows how typical it is, but I'd not order from them unless the product you want is in stock.
Posted By: pullit Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/09/22
You are WAY more patient than I am on something like this
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/09/22
Is this your first dealing with Germans? They KNOW everything and are the biggest PIA people I've ever had to work with.
Posted By: MrWilson Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Is this your first dealing with Germans? They KNOW everything and are the biggest PIA people I've ever had to work with.

Ja
Originally Posted by pullit
You are WAY more patient than I am on something like this

And way more patient than I normally am. It was easier to be patient when it wasn’t hunting season.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/10/22
This place has had a couple of models off and on, or so they claim. Can’t vouch for them, but here’s the link:

http://www.darnfineshot.com/karlkaps.html

Nice stuff, but I’m too old to wait like that. Imagine what the service would be like.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/10/22
Eyebox was too critical on the Kaps 6x I tried. Reaked of quality construction though.
I wish Cameraland would take them on. I bought a set of 8x42 binos and a scope from there web store and never waited longer than three weeks either time.
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
I wish Cameraland would take them on. I bought a set of 8x42 binos and a scope from there web store and never waited longer than three weeks either time.

SHOT Show is 5 weeks away and we will be exploring adding a new brand or 2 as we do each year
That would be great Doug. They make some good stuff at a reasonable price but not well known in the States.
I'd be shocked to see them at SHOT. I cannot see them caring about it. Now, Trijicon on the other hand sir, let's make that happen.
Posted By: CRS Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/10/22
Doug,
Trijicon please, if you can work out the details.
Originally Posted by CRS
Doug,
Trijicon please, if you can work out the details.

We were an authorized direct Trijicon dealer for many years, may even be in their system even though we haven't done anything with them. We stopped carrying their products for multiple reasons and to the best of my knowledge those reasons haven't changed.
You've just hit on the biggest problem with Kaps. They make good glass, but you have to buy what's in stock (anywhere) if and when you find it.

Every distributor they have has the same problem. Nobody knows when, or if Kaps will make a run of anything, and worse yet, what they'll want for it.

They don't take the business seriously. Why? Hard to say. Money problems, misdirection? Who knows.

Darnfineshot doesn't have any Kaps either I'd gamble, and If you asked his opinion of Kaps, he'd probably echo my words.

And yes, Germans are by far the hardest people in the world to deal with. Many a times in my line of work I've passed on doing business with a German company and dealt with Poles, Czechs and Italians instead.
What's the deal with Germans, why are they difficult? Must be some cultural thing.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/12/22
Originally Posted by pabucktail
What's the deal with Germans, why are they difficult? Must be some cultural thing.

They know EVERYTHING and you should be damned grateful to get any of their fine products, at their pace. Dealt with those arrogant bastards for years. I'd rather deal with a commie then anything to do with Germany.

They know EVERYTHING and you should be damned grateful to get any of their fine products, at their pace. Dealt with those arrogant bastards for years. I'd rather deal with a commie then anything to do with Germany.

How about a yankee?
Posted By: mathman Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/12/22
Somewhere I read something like "You can always tell who is German, but you can't tell a German anything."
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/12/22
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

How about a yankee?

Much better than a German. That said, German's are not easily offended and don't need a Midol after one comment, so there is that.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/12/22
I'm waiting for a S&B scope that was ordered on 3/11/22, payment made up front for special order - S&B quotes 3 to 4 month ETA.

7/26 (~4.5 months) I email to check status - return email confirmed scheduled production date to be 8/5/22

9/29 (~6.5 months) I email to check status - return email states next week (say 10/6) as scheduled production date

11/14 (8 months) I email to check status - return email that Germany screwed up the permit, may take a couple/few weeks to resolve

12/12 and still waiting.

3-4 months has turned into 8.5+ months with multiple quoted and missed production dates as well as a "screw up" on paperwork. It's becoming painful...
Posted By: DryPowder Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/12/22
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I'm waiting for a S&B scope that was ordered on 3/11/22, payment made up front for special order - S&B quotes 3 to 4 month ETA.

7/26 (~4.5 months) I email to check status - return email confirmed scheduled production date to be 8/5/22

9/29 (~6.5 months) I email to check status - return email states next week (say 10/6) as scheduled production date

11/14 (8 months) I email to check status - return email that Germany screwed up the permit, may take a couple/few weeks to resolve

12/12 and still waiting.

3-4 months has turned into 8.5+ months with multiple quoted and missed production dates as well as a "screw up" on paperwork. It's becoming painful...

When it gets here, would you take your money back? grin
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/12/22
Originally Posted by DryPowder

12/12 and still waiting.

lol.... I'd like my time back!
Posted By: DryPowder Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/12/22

12/12 and still waiting.

lol.... I'd like my time back!

LOL. PM me if you get tired of waiting. I would probably take your place.
Just imagine how horrible the customer service would be if you had a problem with the scope!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/13/22
LOL. PM me if you get tired of waiting. I would probably take your place.

I'm just singing the whine about Germany song. I'm glad they would take the order and make the scope. It's a scope I like more than any other.

Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Just imagine how horrible the customer service would be if you had a problem with the scope!

If this is about S&B rather than Kaps, their US Service Center has been great on a few Klassic's I've sent in for elevation dials. Fast and very easy to deal with.

Regarding S&B as a whole, one scope I received from them had a view problem right from the start. It was purchased through Cameraland. I contacted Doug about it, he took it back, and refunded my $ immediately. A short time later a scope was shipped to my home directly from S&B. No contact had been made from me to them or them to me. I had to follow up with Doug and pay him for it after the fact. Best customer service I've ever had after a problem from both Cameraland and S&B.
Posted By: odonata Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/14/22
I'm waiting for a S&B scope that was ordered on 3/11/22, payment made up front for special order - S&B quotes 3 to 4 month ETA...

The last S&B scope that I special ordered in 2021 took 3 months + 3 weeks to ship. So for me, your quoted ETA was spot on. Sorry to hear about the aggravation you're going through. Acquiring a particular S&B scope can be a pain and a test of patience. Unfortunately for me, I really like mine so I'm willing to suffer a bit more than I can reasonably justify whenever I "need" one. But 8.5 months & still waiting might exceed my breaking point simply because open-ended uncertain estimates drive me nuts. I can only wait a long time for something if I'm told on the front end so I can manage expectations. The constant drip drip of disappointments can be rage inducing.

I've been curious about Kaps scopes for a while. I sent their customer service an email once asking a question. I never got a reply so it made me cautious about trying out their products.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/14/22
I don't mind the wait if it's in line with the stated expectation. It is what it is. I'll use a different scope until it gets here.
Posted By: lagerboy Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/14/22
Doug will you guys be rubbing shoulders with Schmidt&Bender during the SHOT show?
Posted By: DryPowder Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/15/22
I don't mind the wait if it's in line with the stated expectation. It is what it is. I'll use a different scope until it gets here.

It's funny that nobody wants to sell one after they try it grin

I wish I had ordered one when you did.
Back in December of 2021, I ordered a Kaps Classic 4X direct from the company in Germany. I paid with the Visa and they expected to deliver in 4-6 weeks. That stretched into months and months. Emails were only answered sporadically. I even called them several times. In emails and during calls they claimed covid supply chain issues were affecting production. Finally, in early November I called again and was told they anticipated producing the 4x in February 2023. That did it, I wanted a refund. They said that would be no problem, but once again failed to follow up on emails. When I called again, the fellow I'd been in touch with was unavailable. Yesterday I logged a dispute with Visa. They're going to credit my account and deal with Kaps directly.

From what I can tell it seems Kaps makes a quality product. Unfortunately, they don't seem to care much about the American market or customer service. My experience is just one so who knows how typical it is, but I'd not order from them unless the product you want is in stock.

You're just as well off getting a refund. Kaps optics are and have always been an upper-medium quality product, nothing special. Imagine the fiasco of having a warranty problem solved.
Originally Posted by lagerboy
Doug will you guys be rubbing shoulders with Schmidt&Bender during the SHOT show?

I actually called there last week to see what's what. Euro Optics will remain the official exclusive with S&B in 2023 because nobody else will commit to S&B on X amount of scopes a year and S&B's sales in the US have been strained the last few years. This gives S&B a guaranteed minimum sales volume which is their primary concern.

Perhaps next year they will resume interest in other dealers and go back to direct distribution. We shall see
Posted By: HawaiiPD Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/15/22
I had a 4 x 36 Kaps develop a "black" spec in the view. I sent the scope back to Kaps in Germany from Hawaii and received it back with in 4 weeks.
Looks like the black coating on the inside of the scope tube sent a small spot on the lens.

The same issue happed to a 1990s Kahles that also needed to be sent back to Austria under warrantee, came back fixed in 3 weeks, free.
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/15/22
Earlier in the year I went to buy a S&B Polar, the US distributor nor any Euro distributor had one in stock and no one could guarantee me I would get it this year, much less before hunting season. I communicated with a couple of scope guys here at 24 hour and came to the conclusion the improvement the Polar has over the Klassik is not worth the extra cost and aggravation. I ordered two Klassiks for the price of one Polar instead. Had them in a few days, love the illumination feature which actually works well compared to to others I have tried.

As long as I do not look through someone else's Polar I'll be in good shape.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/15/22
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by lagerboy

I actually called there last week to see what's what. Euro Optics will remain the official exclusive with S&B in 2023 because nobody else will commit to S&B on X amount of scopes a year and S&B's sales in the US have been strained the last few years. This gives S&B a guaranteed minimum sales volume which is their primary concern.

Perhaps next year they will resume interest in other dealers and go back to direct distribution. We shall see

I'm not a big fan of S&B limiting dealers but I can understand the desire to have a guaranteed order size. I was surprised they would allow the special order for one. Hopefully they did a production run of them while they were at it...

A week ago I ordered a "fill-in" scope to use until the ordered one arrives. Order made through Cameraland last Thursday. Scope was in my hands Monday night. Thanks Doug!
Posted By: tater74 Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/15/22
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by grumpy7904

SHOT Show is 5 weeks away and we will be exploring adding a new brand or 2 as we do each year

Awesome.
I own three Kaps scopes, all are excellent quality, none have ever gave the first hint of a problem, and each was a very good value compared to the competition. I have a couple of S&B scopes too. Wonderful scopes, but I haven't seen or experienced anything with them that would make me choose S&B over a Kaps. So, I'd buy Kaps over S&B just for the quality vs price comparison. However, I've actually swung over to Kahles lately. I'm an unsophisticated scope user, but I know what I like. Kahles seem to provide the quality/price/features in a combination that I like best.
Posted By: Partsman Re: A Kaps order update..... - 12/20/22
Square heads,
Oh my, now you sound like my nazi-killing great uncle.
Posted By: abbydog Re: A Kaps order update..... - 01/05/23
Where did you order the KAPS?

I bought a used one several years ago and ending up selling to a friend for his upcoming moose hunt. I would like to talk a look at what they offer today
Posted By: dave7mm Re: A Kaps order update..... - 01/05/23
Hay ,
I resemble that remark...
dave
Posted By: HawaiiPD Re: A Kaps order update..... - 01/05/23
I had a black spec of paint on the interior of a lens in a new 4 x 36 Kaps, I sent it back to Germany and got it back w/in three weeks fixed. I did have to pay the shipping to, but not back to me from Germany.

So all of you wondering about Kaps, they ship and repair just fine. I have two 4 x 36 Kaps scopes waiting for a gun to mount them on. And yes I do order several scopes at a time.

When Zeiss Conquests were $299.00 for the 1.8 -5.5 x 38 I ordered 3 from CameraLand.

When CDNN offered the Kahles 2-7 x 36 and the rimfire version, I ordered 7 @ $599.00, YES seven scopes.
Posted By: beretzs Re: A Kaps order update..... - 01/05/23
I had one of the 1.5x6's on order for 6 months. I just canceled eventually. Wanted to try the Kaps, but just like bullets, I am not waiting around anymore for one specific bullet. Too many other good optics out there!.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: A Kaps order update..... - 01/06/23
I was going to buy one of those Kaps Classic 4X for a custom rifle I had done a couple years ago. I wanted something a bit more "cool" than the std Leupold line up I use on everything else.

In the end, I just went with a VX3 2.5-8 and was happy I did after reading this thread.
© 24hourcampfire