Home
Posted By: 6MMWASP Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS question - 10/23/23
Did or does Nightforce make NXS 2.5-10X with a duplex reticle and exposed turret. These old eyes don't get along with a MOAR.

Thanks
No sir, just two offerings - the MIL-R and/or the MOAR.
They did at one time, believe they called it the IHR. I have one and much prefer it to the current offerings for pure hunting use.
Maybe illumination might help. Maybe an IHR. My 6 1/2 6.5 SAUM ate its second 4.5-14 Leupold. I just hate to saddle up a 2 lb scope on a 6 lb rifle I had built to be light.

Thanks Skane
Nightforce did offer the mildot reticle.

[Linked Image from cdn.nightforceoptics.com]
[Linked Image from kenziesoptics.com]

I have one (NXS 2.5-10x42mm) that I'm probably going to sell as I'm pretty much a FFP guy.
I have a couple of the IHR and Mildot versions from days gone by - I prefer both of them for my simplistic needs (vs what's offered today).
The closest they had to a "Duplex" in an NXS would have been the NP-1. Not the NP-R1, the NP-1. Like the IRH and old-school Mil-Dot, you'll have to pry an NP-1 outta someone's fingers as they're no longer made.
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Nightforce did offer the mildot reticle.

[Linked Image from cdn.nightforceoptics.com]
[Linked Image from kenziesoptics.com]

I have one (NXS 2.5-10x42mm) that I'm probably going to sell as I'm pretty much a FFP guy.
I have one of the Compacts with that reticle and its become my favorite for a hunting rifle. I wish had several more, its almost like a duplex, just with some added dots wink
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I have one of the Compacts with that reticle and its become my favorite for a hunting rifle. I wish had several more, its almost like a duplex, just with some added dots wink

I tried one of these in a mildot and thought it would make the perfect elk hunting scope. But the reticle seemed to disappear when aiming into cover, I could not get rid of it fast enough.
I agree with WYcoyote. I have owned two.

The reticles are to fine for me in anything thick. Love the mechanics and features of the scopes, meaning tough and reliable, the side focus is great. They are a little heavy and as a glass snob they are good glass, but not top of the line by any means as far as brightness and clarity.

They offer a #4 reticle in some of the SHVs for the European market, which would be great on the NXS 2.5-10. I called and they will not sell or change any scopes to #4 in the USA. No reason given.

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/technology/reticles/4a/
I had the fairly rare special G7 version Gunwerks collaborated. The reticle was better than any other in their lineup m in my opinion but the outer bars were not solid. Had they been it would have been a great SFP hunting reticle.

Unfortunately, the eyebox sucked and the glass was mediocre at best. it was built like a tank and tracked perfectly though. I let it go and haven't missed it.
The most visible reticle, and the closest to a duplex visibility wise in the NXS 2.5-10, are the Velocity 600 reticles.

I think the IHR is next, followed by the MOAR.

I haven't used the NP-1.

I spent some time with a mildot and thought it was very fine. I'd like to try one again just to see...
i love the 2.5-10 nightforce scopes, i have a 32 and a 42mm obj. i'd look for one in mildot as the reticle is a little thicker. there used to be companies that would change out reticles, sadly i haven't done business with them or know if they are still around.
They made a 2.5-10x32 with an NPR-2 reticle.

I have had one on my little 20" Tikka .308 for years.

Awesome scope and it has accounted for many dead critters.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
the MOAR doesn't really work that great in any of the max 10x nightforce scopes. either the compact or the SHV. its a second focal plane reticle and works best in the 3.5-15 or higher power models. The reticle will appear 50% larger in the 3.5-15 model than in any of the max 10x power scopes. For the compacts I really like the mil dot. I think that reticle works great in that scope. I do recommend getting one of the new compacts instead of the old compacts that only came in a 32mm objective. The glass on those was really lacking on the old scopes. I would look at a 2.5-10x42 with mildot.
Thanks for all the info. Sounds like the compact Nightforce may not by my answer.
Well I am 72 years old and see poorly but I have no problem with the MOAR reticle in the 2.5-10x42 NXS, especially when lit. I would prefer a Mildot but as noted it is no longer available.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Is that a 32MM obj or 24?
Bugger. Trying to remember what reticle my 2.5-10x24 has. Will check on weekend. But not zero stop. My two 2.5/20x32 are, one velocity reticle and one with dots.
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Is that a 32MM obj or 24?

That is the 24. It has been long enough I had recalled the wrong size. Works perfectly for my needs. Been a great little optic for a lighter weight rifle.

Will Nightforce change the reticle in the older NXS scopes?
Both of mine are the current hash mark style. If you don’t squint too hard it just looks like a big bold crosshair. 🥹
Originally Posted by Jason280
Will Nightforce change the reticle in the older NXS scopes?

I know for certain they won't swap an IHR into anything. Supposedly they're "saving" the current stock of IHR etched lenses for any warrantee/repairs they need to make. When they did offer reticle swaps it was about $300.

I asked the warrantee/repair Customer Service guy why they can't install an IHR into an existing scope with a different reticle. I mean it's just a lens that's etched, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the lens that contains the etching is the exact same lens no matter what reticle is etched upon it. So, it's simply a matter of telling the machine that etches the reticles to etch an IHR, or NP-1, or whatever. It's not like they have to build the reticle out of thin metal and mount it. It's simply a matter of telling the digital surfacing equipment what they want in the reticle space.
My wish for the NXS 2.5-10...if it remains SFP:

Take the Forceplex, with the current reticle subtensions, widen the inner plex to 2.5 mils from center to tip of outer plex (at 10x). 1 mil and 2 mil dot per side, .5 and 1.5 hash per side, plex tip would be 2.5. Limit illumination to inner .5 mil on each side.

At 10x that gives 2.5 mil of windage holds in 1/2 mils. At 5x, each hash and dot would be 1 mil, so you'd essentially have a mildot. Of course adjustments in mils and the zero stop elevation.

Bold enough to use in thick backgrounds and low light, while fine enough and enough windage to hold at distance.

I prefer FFP, but that would be a useable SFP reticle.
© 24hourcampfire