Home
Posted By: 3dtestify Early Pentax scopes - 12/31/23
The MC Lightseeker fullfield made by Burris in the early/mid 90’s that came in a nice wooden box. Any opinions?
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Early Pentax scopes - 12/31/23
I loved them. They set the bar back then. I think I still have one.
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: Early Pentax scopes - 12/31/23
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
The MC Lightseeker fullfield made by Burris in the early/mid 90’s that came in a nice wooden box. Any opinions?

Actually, it was not a "Fullfield." The Lightseeker was the equivalent of the Signature series. The XL version was basically the Signature Select.

The Lightseekers were very nice scopes. Even the lower-tiered line that was the same as the Fullfield was nice.

The Whitetails Unlimited promo run helped get the Pentax name out there in the scope world, but they still gained only minimal popularity.

But those who tried them usually liked them.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Early Pentax scopes - 12/31/23
Ran one briefly back in the day. Came on a used donorI picked up. Was a nice scope, IIRC. Adjusted as it should and it was bright enough. Might still be stashed away here? Have a large box of old scopes. Used to donate the decent ones to young hunters. Wish I had some of the gloss ones back; they are worth more now than they ever were when they were current production.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Early Pentax scopes - 12/31/23
Didnt some have the profile of a mag light?
Posted By: ldholton Re: Early Pentax scopes - 12/31/23
I have a couple of the light-seeker Plus 2.5 x with the deep woods Plex which is basically a crosshair with a big circle around it I keep them on a 835 and a 500 Mossberg turkey scope they've been solid and performed well for many years didn't come in a wooden box though..
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Early Pentax scopes - 01/01/24
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Didnt some have the profile of a mag light?
Yes, I always perceived the radiused objective bell to have that vintage “Maglite” look!
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Early Pentax scopes - 01/01/24
I had a gloss 6-24 Lightseeker with a fine duplex on a fox and coyote rifle in the mid '90's. Nice optics and always held zero. Took a bunch of fox with it over a couple years.

Good shootin' -Al
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Early Pentax scopes - 01/01/24
I had a Burris Signature 1.5x6 and a Pentax 2-8. Both had better resolution and were brighter than comparable Leupolds. Both had short eye relief and the placement of the turret area made mounting difficult. For my use they only worked on short actions.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Early Pentax scopes - 01/01/24
A friend brought one on a Kodiak bear hunt. At the critical moment it failed. Reticle was rattling and rotated 45 degrees. It came back from Pentax twice without any repairs.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Early Pentax scopes - 01/01/24
I have a couple of old Pentex mini scopes, a 3-9x and a 4-12xAO that look like comparable Burris products.
Yep, they were made by Burris.
Posted By: EdM Re: Early Pentax scopes - 01/01/24
I still have a Burris Signature 1.5-6X that worked well on a Ruger #1 with the turret located forward.
Posted By: 348winchester Re: Early Pentax scopes - 01/01/24
I have a Lightseeker3-9 x 40 that I mounted on a Weatherby Vanguard VGX 30-06. The wood is so nice I would never carry it in the woods. I carried it I think twice and sat on the ground because I didn't want to beat the gun up. I killed 1 deer with it and back in the safe it went. Been there probably 15 years. The scope is great, very bright and clear. I always look for them as well as early Burris sitting on used guns when I hit the pawn shops
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Early Pentax scopes - 01/01/24
Originally Posted by EdM
I still have a Burris Signature 1.5-6X that worked well on a Ruger #1 with the turret located forward.
My good friend and fellow campfire compatriot Eddiel4 informed me this scope is the easiest to use on the Ruger #1, due to tube length and the forward position of the adjustment turret.
© 24hourcampfire