Home
What would be an ideal scope for a lightweight 338fed? Currently I have a LRHS 3-12x44mm on my Kimber M 338fed.
I’m a big fan of this scope, but it’s a lot of scope capability for this rifle in this chambering. I can’t see ever needing to shoot this more than a few hundred yards.
Something physically smaller in the 2-7x32/33 range.

I have a Leupold VX2 2-7x33 on my Ruger Hawkeye in 338 FED.
Buddy has a Sako in 338fed and if memory serves he has a Leupy 2.8-8x36 on it
Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20, I have one on my 25-204, killed 3 coyotes on four stands a week ago. I have a couple of Leupold 1-4x20s on various coyote rifles. Great lightweight scopes that get me to 300 yards on coyotes.
2-7x33 Kahles TDS Reticle on my Sako 85 SS Hunter bought on here a long time ago. (Originally planned to convert it to 260). Best day of hunting I’ve ever had was with that rifle..

Last weekend of the season that I could go about 10 years ago and hadn’t shot anything. Two 10 point WT in 30 minutes (one at 100 yards the second at 225) with a egotistical life long friend 1500 yards away. He saw the second one drop from his spot (angled cross Sendera kind of deal).

Shoots 200 G Fed Fusions in <1” groups. It is my go to all weather rig.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...inless-low-price-have-a-look#Post5715589

Got curious about when I bought it. The scope is mounted in Talleys and I lucked out with it at Eurooptic used back then.

If you find one, another that I keep an eye out for is 1.5-8x32 Vortex Razor HD LH. I haven’t bought one yet but I look out for them. Spence turned me onto that one when I mentioned the 2-7 K to him a month ago.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Something physically smaller in the 2-7x32/33 range.

I have a Leupold VX2 2-7x33 on my Ruger Hawkeye in 338 FED.

That’s what’s on my .338 Federal Kimber Montana
Originally Posted by 007FJ
2-7x33 Kahles TDS Reticle on my Sako 85 SS Hunter . . .

. . . If you find one, another that I keep an eye out for is 1.5-8x32 Vortex Razor HD LH.

+1 on both scopes.

Zeiss Conquest MC 2.5-8X32 as well.
Shaun the last couple of baby Conquests in the Sales Pen have gotten snagged pretty quickly
Originally Posted by 007FJ
Shaun the last couple of baby Conquests in the Sales Pen have gotten snagged pretty quickly

Aye. They go as fast as that LRHS 3-12 would, maybe faster. But so do the Kahles AH 2-7s.
Originally Posted by mod7rem
What would be an ideal scope for a lightweight 338fed? Currently I have a LRHS 3-12x44mm on my Kimber M 338fed.
I’m a big fan of this scope, but it’s a lot of scope capability for this rifle in this chambering. I can’t see ever needing to shoot this more than a few hundred yards.

My first choice would be .. if I could find one .. a Leupold 1.75-6X VX 3. The only negative to this scope is compared to the 1.5-5x and 2.5-8x it doesn't have much adjustment, only 45moa in each direction. I've owned a couple and other than that I like them a lot.
My No. 1 wears a Nikon pre-Monarch 2-7x.
A Kahles 1.5-6X42 wouldn't suck for that application either.
That Zeiss is a neat little scope for trim, light rifles. Had one on a few svelte single shots and it was perfect.

2-7x33 Leupold VX-R is also another good one
I have a 3.5x10 Leupold on mine

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My Kimber MT 338 Fed wears a NF SHV 3-10×42. Perfect scope for that rifle. Same scope on my Kimber 308.
Originally Posted by T_O_M

My first choice would be .. if I could find one .. a Leupold 1.75-6X VX 3. The only negative to this scope is compared to the 1.5-5x and 2.5-8x it doesn't have much adjustment, only 45moa in each direction. I've owned a couple and other than that I like them a lot.

I thought it a good choice for the 338 Fed also. Rifle isn't a lightweight though.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
I'm looking for another Trijicon TR21G for my Kimber 338F. That's a 1-4X with post green triangle 1" tube.
The Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 x 40 weighs 13.4 oz. I have one with the duplex and green dot the other has a green triangle on a post. That post is fast with an obstructed view, especially good for running animals. Have the duplex on a 338 RCM and the post on a 284 win, my lightweight varmint gun.

For really light the 2.5-10 x 32 SWFA Ultralight at 9.5 oz. I have had two. One was on a lightweight 358. I will admit that it isn't that great on 8-10 power but otherwise it is nice.
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll see what I can find. Years ago I owned an FX3 6x42 and remember it being a nice bright, easy to use scope. I’ll try to keep the scope for this rifle simple with minimal features. Thanks again.
Mine wore a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75 fixed power. Great simple optics. Sold the rifle regrettably but kept the scope.

Only a "few hundred yards"? How about out to 400 yards easily, 13 ounces, and inexpensive, yet rugged?

Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. That's the easy button right there.
I have a Swarovski Z3 2.5-10 with the standard plex on my Rem600 in 338Fed. No need for complicated reticle with the Fed. That LHRS is a heavy scope, I recommend going lighter!
Mod7rem: My Tikka T-3 in 338 Federal has a very clear and very reliable Zeiss Daivari 3v9 variable scope on it.
This set-up is so light weight I hardly notice its over my shoulder when trudging up hills and traveling gated logging roads whilst spring Black Bear Hunting.
Best of luck with whichever scope you settle on.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I’ve been watching classifieds here in Canada and came across a pristine FX3 6x42 with LR reticle at a good price. That’s about as simple as it gets. My biggest concerns are bright, easy to get behind sight picture, and holding zero.
I’ll try it and if I don’t like it I’ll move it along and try to find some of the other suggestions.
© 24hourcampfire