Home
Posted By: CURLY 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/05/07
Probably a redundent question for this board, but I am 2nd guessing myself.

I am 48 yrs old, the eyes are okay. The rifle is a .270 WCF on a Model 70 Classic. The rifle has standard action and barrel from Winchester, with Talley quick release rings w/levers.

This is my first adventure at a semi-custom gun. The metal work, and smithing is being done by Mark Penrod in a satin finish. All other aspects of the rifle are factory standard, including the wood stock. In the future, the stock will be either replaced, or refinished in oil.

My question on this forum is about the scope, and brightness. I had purchased a 3.5x10 VXIII, sitting new in the box. I have been reading more about the FX III 6X.

My interest in the FX III is more for the 7MM exit pupil, and if this scope is any brighter for early morning or late evening. As I get older, I notice I need more light.

Also, will the fixed field of view be an issue as majority of my hunting is in the foothills in WV. I also have a 2.5x8 VXIII that could go on the rifle also.

Is is worth selling the 3.5x10 and ordering a FXIII 6X. I have always had variable, but use them in the field at the lower settings.

Recommendations?

Posted By: mathman Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/05/07

As I get older, I notice I need more light.

A large exit pupil may not be an advantage if your pupils don't dilate enough to use all of it. The outer edge will merely be illuminating your iris, rather than your retina.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/05/07
I've got an older VariXIII, 3.5-10X40 and a couple of the older 6X42 Leupolds. Both of which I've used a good bit.
If you are planning to hunt at night much, the 6X42 would have a very slight edge at night, assuming a heavier than standard reticle. That is only on really dark nights, however. On a clear night with some moonlight, there isn't any. During twilight, the variable, because it can use more magnification, will show you more.
The variable works better for shooting small varmits at the longer ranges. Again, thanks to more magnification.
That's a good point about eye sight. Most people have lost some of their night vision by your age. Your eyes many not be able to open to a full 7mm pupil size. If so, for night work, the extra exit pupil on the 6X42 will do no good.
I actually prefer the 6X42 becasue of it's very large eye box and ability to mount it further forward than the variable. I don't need the extra magnifcation of the variable for big game or large varmits.
Both scopes are pretty big. Many have found that as a practical matter, the smaller, lighter, 33-36mm variables or fixed magnification scopes perform as well as ever needed. E
Posted By: woofer Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/05/07
i'd pop that 2.5x8 on it and go.. then decide... love the 6x. 3.5 too.. but if you got the used one wanting a home i'd start there first.. cant see you givin' up a thing...

woofer
Posted By: SteveO Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/05/07
I asked the same thing last month. Lots of excellent advise here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...owflat/Number/1668847/page/3#Post1668847
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/05/07
There's a FX3 6x heavy duplex in the classified section for sale.
Posted By: JPro Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/05/07
The 3.5-10x40 and the 6x42 are two great choices. Since you already have the 3.5-10, I would go that route and try the 6x on the next rifle. If you've got the hankering for something new to try, put an M1 elevation turret on the 3.5-10 for some fun.
Posted By: FVA Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/05/07
I have both. As E stated, the 6x has a more forgiving eyebox making it my favorite of the two for big game hunting, at least for when things can happen up close and quick. For longer ranges I don't find the 6x as being a detriment. If it were more of a dual purpose rifle the 3.5-10x40 would get the nod. IMO,.
Posted By: BMT Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/05/07
umm . . . .

What they said.

BMT
Posted By: TC1 Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/05/07
I think the long eye relief on the 6X42 takes away any advantage it might have had in brightness. Still a good scope though. Easy to use, easy to live with.

Terry
270 can stretch out there if needed, I've got 2 of the 3.5-10's and appreciate the extra magnification when needed. Plenty bright under any normal hunting conditions too.

J
Posted By: CURLY Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/05/07
Thanks for the replies.

I had not thought about the eyebox issue.

I have a pair of .270's. One for looks (blue & wood) and the other stainless and plastic. The plastic/stainless will get the 2.5x8 as it will be the lightweight rifle.

The woodie is the one I am trying to settle the scope on.

Talley Quick release with levers may look a little odd with a small scope.
Posted By: woofer Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/06/07
easy, get the gloss 6x36.. classic lines......

woofer
Posted By: jstevens Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/06/07
For me, I'm happy with 6x at the top. On most rifles, a 1.5-6x is a perfect hunting scope, since I can shoot big game as far as I can hit it with a 6x, most is done on the 2-3x setting. On a .270 a 2.5-8x or 3-9x is probably preferable.
Posted By: CURLY Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/06/07
I thought about a 1.75x6 from Leupold. The front objective I believe is a 33 which I think is a little small.

I also don't know enough about low light conditions, and if that is a mistake. I do agree, however, that the 6X is the maximum I would see my self ever using in the field.

Thanks SteveO for the reference to the prior thread. Very useful.
I have both and hunted with both. I like the Leupold 6x, but it don't compete with the 3.5-10x40 Leupold scope. I got a Leupold M8 6x42 for sale if you anyone is interested. grin
Originally Posted by TC1
I think the long eye relief on the 6X42 takes away any advantage it might have had in brightness. Still a good scope though. Easy to use, easy to live with.

Terry

Huh?
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/06/07
It's part of Eremicus' 101 reasons why Leupold's aren't as bright as others, too much eye relief. Go figure....
What about this one?

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-...escope/3-9x40mm-century-limited-edition/

I picked one up for my Kimber 270.
I'd go with the 3.5x10. I have a 6x42 on one rifle and like it a lot, but it does give up some versatility the you'd probably miss. Where I hunt I don't have any place where there's an opportunity for a shot over 200 yds so the 6x is fine. I would want more magnification if I were shooting farther than that. I know guys will say they make 350 yd shots with 4x scopes but not me, I like the magnification.
Posted By: TopCat Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/08/07
Use the scope. The 3.5-10 makes some sense on a 270. Pick up a 6x42 sometime down the road and see if you like it better. It is a reliable scope, and good to have as a back up for whatever rifle you end up using at the time....one of the benefits of QR rings.

TC
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/08/07
In a direct comparison I saw the VX-III 2.5x8 as a superior scope to the 3.5x10... brighter and a little more "friendly" at typical magnifications.

Bummed me out because I was all hot to buy a 3.5x10, but instead ended up with another "boring" 2.5x8!

-jeff
Posted By: 257Bob Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/09/07
I have both, the variable is more versitle but the 6x "should" be brighter, all things considered since it has fewer internal lens. tough choice. my most expensive scopes are all fixed Xs so I am a fan.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/09/07
I have 2.5 - 8 VXIII's on three rifles and the 3.5 - 10 VXIII on one. While the 3.5 - 10 (IMO) is a little more than I care to have on a walk-around hunting rifle it's OK. I've got the 1.75 - 6 VXIII on one rifle and wouldn't find fault with that either. If your .270 were mine, my first choice would be the 2.5 - 8 or the 1.75 - 6 with the 3.5 - 10 running a distant third. IMHO it starts edging into the category of specialized scope for specialized rifles.
Posted By: CURLY Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/09/07
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.

I THINK I MAY HAVE JUMPED THE GUN GETTING THE 3.5X10. IT HAS THE RANGE ESTIMATING RETICLE WHICH I LIKED, BUT MAY NOT BE NECESSARY FOR MY TYPE OF EASTERN WOODS HUNTING.

MAY HAVE TO PUT IT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS, AND LOOK FOR A 2.5X8.
fwiw,
The VXIII 3.5-10x40 and by a mile. I'm one of the seven known shooters in the Continental United States that has gone on the record as having not seen the beauty of the FX-III 6x42...

Regards, Matt.
Matt....I thought the other 6 were just an Urban Legend smile

I've owned 2 and sold them. They are sweet for eye relief and are nice scopes, but I like varibles!! I've never not been able to see an animal past shooting hours with any Leupold scope and for the rifles I use and the areas I hunt I like to see a ways out there.

J
J,
No we are registered. It aids L&S in alerting neighbors when we move in a new state, neighborhood, etc.. Damn I get tired of the protesters and the signs...(grin)

Regards, Matt.
Posted By: bcbigbore Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/12/07
Hey Curly, I went with the Leupold M8-6x on my M70 XTR Fwt .270 Win. Clean classic scope. Never felt the need for anything else on this particular .270 Win. My latest M70 just arrived (still in the box) It's a Classic Featherweight in .270 WSM and I'm trying to decide what to scope it with. Likely, it will end up with a Leupold variable in Talley lightweight one-piece mounts. Here's a pic of the .270 Win. with a nice whitetail it accounted for a couple seasons back...yup, that's a decelerator pad on the butt as the stock was shortened slightly to fit my daughter.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CURLY Re: 3.5x10 VXIII or 6X FXIII - 10/12/07
Nice Buck!
© 24hourcampfire