Home
I have always been an 8 power guy. My hunting partner swears by his 10 x 42 SLC's. I hunt in Montana everything from dense timber to wide open prairie. When we hunt together I really don't notice that much if any difference.

What do you guys hunt with?
8s

And, given that I'm in the same boat you're in re: optics, I'm going 8s with either the Leicas or Zeiss (the Leicas, to me, just outperform by a RCH the Swaros.... though neither are anything other than superlative).
I have a set of Leicas 10x's which I am selling to buy a pair of 8's...I find that I can't hold them still enough.
Rob,

That's a telling comment.

Where in Wild Rose Country do you live? My wife and I run our Golden retrievers in field trials and we run a few Canadian trials each summer, including Drumheller, Lethbridge and one East of Calgary in the Wild Rose Country.
I've got three 8X, one 9X and one 12X. I hunt with 8X's and, sometimes, use a 12X50 to go over those areas I'm not satisfied with.
I understand 10X binos are way more popular. What I've noticed is a good 8X is less of a strain on the eyes. With top quality 8X binos, there isn't nearly as much a difference way out there as you'd think in terms as to what you can see. And, for that, I have the 12X50's. E
I went from 8X to 10X and finally back to 8X. With the 8X you sacrifice very little -if any - in resolution to the 10X, and gain a steadier and wider field of view. If you carry a spotting scope you can even get away with a 6X or 7X and have it all.
GJ-you may remember but I use the 7x42 SLC's they've been super for me, I've used them since they hit the market and I just couldn't be happier with them.

I pretty much always carry a spotter along cause if I need to micro mgt G1's at a distance or something of the sort I can do so, but the 10's will not be enough. That or my 15's with which I can put the doublers on if need be.

4-me I find the 7's and 8's and even the 6's to be incredibly user friendly and I don't want for more.

IME most are happier with the lower power bins, try em both side by side and let your eyes decide for you.

Dober
Thanks for the replys. As I said I have always been happy with my very old 7x35 Trinovids or newer 1995 vintage Pentax 8x42s. Yesterday I tried the 10x42 along with the 8.5 power ELs and the 8x42 Ultravid. I think you need to use them for an extended period of time because I didn't really have a shake problem for the short time I held them. I'm going to play it safe and go eight power. Now I can dream about buying an nice spotting scope sometime.
10X42 SLC is my primary. Love them . Having said that if I was buying ONE set now it would be 8X30 (32) . IF Swarovski (or the Zeiss Victory )was ever offered in the 7X30 I'd grab one in a minute.

Your results might/will be different. Cannot go wrong with any of the glass you mention

Have fun
8.5x42 Swaros. I have looked thru 10x's and can't seem to like them as much--but to each his own.
Easy for me, 8x.
I have both the 8 and the 10 EL's and for my use I can sum it up very easily. I use the 8's when I bow hunt and the 10's when I rifle hunt. I carry both in my pack at all times, but that is the way it usually works out. The 8's are much lighter therefor a litle easier to carry on spot and stalk hunts. I am fortunate enough to have both, but if I had to pick just one it would be the 10s. IMO...
E,

I agree with you on the eye strain but to my eyes the EL 10x42's are much better at counting points at a distant than me EL 8's. I find myself straining to count points or tine length with the 8's anywhere past 200 usually. However my eyes could be seriously failing me.
FWIW - I looked through the 8s and 10s in Swaro, Leica and Zeiss, Minox, etc. My preference was for the 10x Ziess FLs, but truly would have been pleased with any/all of them in 8x or 10x.

However, the best deal is what forced my hand and actually made the final selection very easy. I ended up with Leica Duovids... 8x and 12x, along with the unoffical 10x (intermediate setting). I also found that their weight definitely helps me steady the glass at the higher setting.
7x42
7x42
I like 8x42 for general all around, but if I use 10x I need them to weigh at least 30 oz.

I hunt the Northeast, but have glassed in Washington and Idaho with my 8X Conquests and haven't wanted any more.

NH Hunter
8X32 Leica Ultravids. Good enough. grin

Steve
Originally Posted by dogzapper
8X32 Leica Ultravids. Good enough. grin

Steve

I hope so, that's what I have coming.
Went from the Swaro 10x42 ELs to the Leica BRF 8 power and prefer the 8x.
8x32 trinovids for woods
10x42 ultravids for open spaces.

lov'em both but if I could only own one it would be 8x
10 x 42 Classics. love them.
I have:
1) Zeiss Conquest 8X40mm ABK
2) Nikon Monarch 8X36mm

My Zeiss are $700 mid-range glass and they are pretty good for the money. Very clear and bright.
The Monarchs aren't too far behind in clarity and resolution, but I can definitely see a difference with brightness (Zeiss).
The Nikons are surprisingly clear and I like their focus knob and diopter adjustments better. They are a bargain at $250!
(I've spent a lot of time recently comparing the views and the little Nikon isn't bad).
Presently have two in the stable, as follows:

8x42 FL's- Bright,sharp and clear as a bell, but not much character or charm.

8x32 BN's- Most pleasing view that I have ever experienced. They are still my favorites. The little rascals are just right in every way, even more so than the brighter Ultravids and FL's. They exude character and charm...they are my hunting partner and will resolve as well as any 10x.

10x42 SLC's are my primary bino's
Have both the 8X and 10X Leica Geovids.

I use primarily the 10X's. Since their essentially apples to apples glass wise, the 10X's help me to discern animals/headgear a bit better.
My primary binocular is a 10X42 Leica. I'm usually glassing from my seat utilizing a nifty tripod made by outfitter Tony Diebold of Nevada.
[Linked Image]

When I'm on the move I glass with the aid of a long cedar staff with a squishy motorcycle handlebar grip at the top of the staff, works great.

I also have a 8X30 Swarovski that is used mostly when I bowhunt.

It I were buying today, I'd probably purchase the Leica 10X42 Ultravid; although I do really like the Swarovski 7X42 SLC...it's very crisp to my aging eyes.

Originally Posted by Glacier_John
I have always been an 8 power guy. My hunting partner swears by his 10 x 42 SLC's. I hunt in Montana everything from dense timber to wide open prairie. When we hunt together I really don't notice that much if any difference.

What do you guys hunt with?

I like 8x. With high quality bins, it's plenty of power. Resolution is MORE important than power. I've used them many times on the plains in Wyo.
Love those Leica spotters.........mine's the 62mm with the 16 X 48 eyepiece.

Great pic BTW.
I've had both and I like 8s...I like the wider field of view and like you I dont notice a big difference in power.............547.
10x42 Trinovids for me for everything, everywhere.
10x = sometimes
8x = always
6x or 7x = soulmate
To use Dakota's formula mine should read...
6x = heavy timber, limited range evaluation (sometimes)
8x, 10x, 12x = open country, long range evaluation (often)
Big busted blondie = soulmate (always)
I have been using predominantly 8x binoculars for hunting though I have also used both 6x and 7x in recent years.
Have 8x32 Pentax ED's and 10x43 Bushnell Elites....the 8x32's have seen the brunt of duty thus far...
I've pretty much always been a 10x guy. I can't give a great reason as to why I prefer them over 8x's. If I carried a spotter more I would probably go to 8x's. 10's seem to strike a good balance for me.
I thought I'd bump this thread as I tallyed up the score to this point:

21 hunters use eight power as their primary binocular.
9 Hunters use ten and,
3 or 4 use less than eight power.
I use 10x more than anything else.
Add another for the 8's......
If were moving on from here, I guess I should add my new 8x42 Ultravids to the list as my #1 binocular. I wouldn't think that a majority of users using eight power means the ten power guys are 'wrong'.
Originally Posted by Glacier_John
If were moving on from here, I guess I should add my new 8x42 Ultravids to the list as my #1 binocular. I wouldn't think that a majority of users using eight power means the ten power guys are 'wrong'.

No, not wrong, but certainly misguided! whistle
I understand the 10X binoculars out sell the 8x models by a very wide margin. Perhaps 3-4 to 1. E
E, where did you get that figure? The numbers from our small sample of dedicated users sure doesn't reflect that. Are 10 x bins more popular across the full spectrum of users from the cheapest Tasco right up to the top optics? It seems like the people who pay thousands of dollars for their bins are more knowledgeable about what really works in their application, while the cheaper bins might be bought by guys who just think bigger is better.
10x50 swaro habicht sl old school model, just had them refurbished and a new pair of minox bd 10x42 br.
I think I saw reference to it in "Optics for the Hunter" and I've been told that by many optics dealers.
Don't forget, we represent the more, maybe much more, knowledgable hunters and shooters out there. E
10X Zeiss classics. Usually from a stand with a steady rest.

stumpy
Every binocular manufacturer I've talked to says that 10x outsells 8x, some claim by as many a 10 to 1. But that includes all the people who buy a $40 compact as their onluy binocular, usually to use at football game aftr they've had 7 beers and can't see too well anyway.

© 24hourcampfire