Home
I just got my Minox 6.5x32's from Doug in, and they are freakin' awesome! Wow! What a view.. grin

Anyway, as I was perusing the net at noon, I stumbled on these Minox HG 8x33's at Amazon. I don't know if these are demos, show samples or refurbs. It says that they are new in the description, but who knows with Amazon. For this price, I figured that I would take a chance. With a price that is 58% off retail, can do weird things to a person. whistle

http://www.amazon.com/Minox-High-Gr...lectronics&qid=1212437514&sr=8-2

[Add to cart to see the price]

(They also list the Minox HG 8.5x43's for a crazy low price too. In case anyone wants to know.)
Thats a crazy price...

Now just need to find a way to justify having my 7X42FL's and those....

I really need to stay away from this place....
Let's hope they are not Chinese counterfeits, when they counterfeit a brand they just try to make it look the same with disregard for getting the guts right.
Grey market??

That is way too cheap.
Amazon isn't a authorized dealer I trust. I wonder about GREY MARKET also - if not, the price rocks! I'd say one is almost dumb for not getting them, if they're legit that is . . .
Hopefully they are legit. If they are not real, or grey market, I'll despute it with the Visa card that I used...
Just return them if not legit....
Well, I called my Visa card and they said if they are fake, just to call them and that they would take care of it. That's reasurring.

I hope that I that these are in fact real. I also hope that I didn't make a bunch of people run out and purchase fake binoculars. If that does turn out to be the case, I want to apologize in advance.
I have used Amazon for sport optics and I'll bet they'll come from an authorized dealer.

Dave
Those are coming direct from Amazon, I wouldn't be worried about it.

I bought my Zeiss spotter from STC, I called Zeiss and asked if they were good and they were. Just call MInox and ask.

I doubt that there are people making fake Minox's anyways... Not that they are not worthy of it just that they are not quite as big of a name as some.

I have to think that this is a solid deal.
Must have been a mistake, $599 as of this morning.
It must have been a mistake with their initial listing, as the price is now more in line with reality at $599...at least that's what shows up when I add them to my cart.
I'll bet it was a mistake and your order brought it to the seller's attention and they changed it pronto! You'll probably still get them at that price, though - makes me jealous that I didn't click on the "Add to Cart" button two days ago.
I wonder how many of us bought them at the $350 price... Wonder if they will honor it.

I once bought a bushnell 4200 4-16 scope online and it had a listed price of like $250. I got a reciept and everything and this guy called me all fractic and said that the price was wrong and that I could still have the scope for the normal retail price but the origional order was cancelled....
Whew. I was agonizing... I pretty much was going to hit the buy button this am for comparison purposes........
Looks to me like anyone who ordered them before today would have gotten them at $350.00. Yesterday, while I was thinking of hitting the button, I noticed that they were listed as being for sale direct from Amazon for $350. The were also listed as being available from a couple of other sources for $599.00.

This morning they are listed as being sold by Adorama for $599.00. I think that Amazon Direct sold out and the only ones left are from the other source at a higher price.
I snoozed, I losed.
me to - dumb move not sure why I didn't pull the trigger!
When I first saw these last week, they were listed for just over $400. Then they dropped to $388, then $369-ish a day later, and then finally that $350 price. So it hasn't been at that price for more than a few days, maybe two or three at the most.

The 8.5x43 HG's were priced at around $449 or $499 last Friday but appear to have gone up since then....
It wasn't a mistake. When this thread was posted, I followed the link and the Amazon page said "Only 5 left, order soon" at $350.64. Later, the number went down to 4, then 3, and early this morning it said 2 left. I was checking because I was contemplating buying a pair, but didn't. Sometimes the retailer really only has a limited number of items at that price....

Originally Posted by avagadro
Grey market??

That is way too cheap.

yep....
All I can say is: DAMMMIT!
I ordered two last night and every thing looks good to go. What do you mean by grey market problems? All seems well on this end
grey market are items sold here in the US, typically by unauthorized resellers. However, they are meant for sale in other countries and their warranty may not be honored USA service centers. There are several online companies that sell these types of items. They are NOT knock-offs or imitations ... they are the real deal, just not intended to be sold here.

From Amazon I would suppose there is little to worry about ... but as with many higher end companies, I thought there was MAP issues.

Enjoy'em .... kinda wish I coulda joined you in the snatchin' of the goodies!
Is it being sold by "Amazon" themselves, or a merchant who lists on Amazon?
Thanks for the info: I will report back with any problems with the Amazon deal. Seems that if Minox sells to folks that don't honor their warranty US or otherwise...perhaps that's a Minox problem that should be taken care of. I guess we'll see.
It may not be a Minox deal ... could be someone here in the US bought from a European or Asian distributor and then passes the savings onto the consumer. It typically isn't an issue unless warranty work is needed. Then again, Minox may not limit which units are sold where therefore, there really isn't a grey market issue.

Be interesting to see.

Got to be a pretty good pair of Smaller bino's for $350.
BTW Schuey,
You understand that due the the amazing deal you got, Amazon requires that you post a full and accurate review of the binos here, don't you?
What they don't know, won't kill 'em! whistle

LOL!

I did get an email from them confirming the transaction, but no details yet on shipping. Looking back, I think that I should have paid the $7.35 standard shipping rate. They appear to be dragging their feet on getting these binos sent out. Stupid Free shipping. Blah. smirk

Originally Posted by Schuey2002
I did get an email from them confirming the transaction, but no details yet on shipping. Looking back, I think that I should have paid the $7.35 standard shipping rate. They appear to be dragging their feet on getting these binos sent out. Stupid Free shipping. Blah. smirk

They do that. I have ordered several things from them, always the "Super Saver Free Shipping" and it has almost always been 2-4 days before the order is shipped, and then they use the slowest method. I'll still almost always go for the free shipping, and they do warn us about it, but I still get impatient.

Do they send you an email stating that they have shipped your item(s)? Or do you just get a surprise knock on the door from a fellow in a brown outfit?
I have always gotten another email when they shipped, and there's a way ("Your Account") on the main Web site where you can check and get a tracking or delivery confirmation number. Of course, if they choose USPS Mail, the number isn't very useful.

With the free shipping from Amazon I usually get my items in about a week (5 working days). I've found if I choose the next least costly method I seem to get my items in about 3 working days. I can sit tight a couple of days for $7-$10 unless I need an item RIGHT NOW! in which I choose Next Day Air....and I get it usually before lunch the following day if I placed the order with Amazon before lunch.
Looks like both mine have been shipped. I have DHL tracking confirmation on both. They originated from NV. They may be Grey, but I was worried they were coming from CA...and perhaps Pink Market!
Thanks, Guys!

Still no email with the shipping info. But I did see that they added the words "Shipping Soon" on my Amazon.com account page...
Schuey - I jumped in on the sale. The shipped them on Wednesday and they hit the doorstep today.
Mine won't ship until Monday for some crazy reason...

Anyhoo, have you had a chance to look through them? Impressions?

Also, did it have a name anywhere on the box saying where they were shipped from? Or does it just say Amazon LLC?
Yes, I only had a few minutes, but I open them up and they are nice. I admit I was a little worried at that price but everything looks good.

Box only says Amazon LLC as does all the invoicing.
Come on chasvic, tell us more!
Yes! We need more info.

The wait (for Amazon to ship) is killin' me...

lol
Sorry to keep you hanging. :-) You can look on the bright side. When Amazon shipped mine they said expected delivery on 6/11, but they came on the 7th.

Took them out for a little while today and they are very nice, nicest glass I've owned (which isn't saying too much). I had looked at these at the Sportsman Expo down in Portland OR a while back, liked them and was thinking about ordering a demo pair from Doug @ Cameraland when these popped up.

It's good to hear that they have nice glass. It would really suck if they were stuffed with cheap innards from China. smile

I finally did get an email from them with shipping info. They are supposed to be here by Friday. They shipped today via USPS from Federal Way, Washington (which is smack dab between Tacoma and Seattle.) Since they are only about 400 miles away, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't here by Wednesday.

[IIRC, Amazon.com's HQ is in Seattle. Hmmmmmmm..]
The 8x33 HG's are here from Amazon.com! And they are spectacular! grin

The Minox box that these came in looks just like the one that my BD 6.5x32 IF's came in, only this one is black. It was covered in a thick layer of dust that was quickly wiped off. The box has the same Minox GmbH markings and Wetzlar, Germany address on the back. Also, a black manual, Certificate of Quality, Warranty card (with "Verk. Nr./Fabr. Nr" on the back) and all other inserts are included, just like my IF's. The Fabr. Nr. numbers match the numbers found on the underside of the binocs. There is also a little "Minox HG Series" tag hooked to the binoc itself. The binoc case is nicely done in leather with magnets to hold the flap closed. A tag attached to the case says, "Genuine Leather". A Minox strap is also included, as is a nice well fitting rainguard that should have been included with the 6.5 IF's.

Speaking of the HG, it feels fabulous in the hand. The rubber is nice and grippy with an expensive feel to it. The focus wheel glides effortlessly, and is marked in yards. (1.7 ~ 50 with the infinity symbol next to it.) The diopter is rather stiff, but does lock in place, which is nice. It was set at the center mark (or 0), and it was exactly where I need it right out of the box for my eyes. smile

The glass is better than anything that I own. Stuff just pops at you in full vivid detail. I sat here at my computer for a second and watched the neighbor working on his roof. The green washers that he used to fasten the felt paper down stood right out. Their bright green color practically glowing against the dark background..

I wish that I could say more, but I have to run over and babysit my sister's kids at the moment. More comments to come later.

grin
The ones that got away....
Originally Posted by RecoilRob

I know...it makes me sick to my stomach that I missed it.

Schuey or chasvic, could either of you post a picture of the binocs with something beside them for reference to I can get an idea of the size? something like a hand or $100 bill (you should have plenty lying around being as you saved so much money :D)
Thanks.
Originally Posted by Schuey2002
The 8x33 HG's are here from Amazon.com! And they are spectacular! grin

The Minox box that these came in looks just like the one that my BD 6.5x32 IF's came in, only this one is black. It was covered in a thick layer of dust that was quickly wiped off. The box has the same Minox GmbH markings and Wetzlar, Germany address on the back. Also, a black manual, Certificate of Quality, Warranty card (with "Verk. Nr./Fabr. Nr" on the back) and all other inserts are included, just like my IF's. The Fabr. Nr. numbers match the numbers found on the underside of the binocs. There is also a little "Minox HG Series" tag hooked to the binoc itself. The binoc case is nicely done in leather with magnets to hold the flap closed. A tag attached to the case says, "Genuine Leather". A Minox strap is also included, as is a nice well fitting rainguard that should have been included with the 6.5 IF's.

Speaking of the HG, it feels fabulous in the hand. The rubber is nice and grippy with an expensive feel to it. The focus wheel glides effortlessly, and is marked in yards. (1.7 ~ 50 with the infinity symbol next to it.) The diopter is rather stiff, but does lock in place, which is nice. It was set at the center mark (or 0), and it was exactly where I need it right out of the box for my eyes. smile

The glass is better than anything that I own. Stuff just pops at you in full vivid detail. I sat here at my computer for a second and watched the neighbor working on his roof. The green washers that he used to fasten the felt paper down stood right out. Their bright green color practically glowing against the dark background..

I wish that I could say more, but I have to run over and babysit my sister's kids at the moment. More comments to come later.

grin
I also received both mine today and I concur with his opinion. I compared both pairs vs. (all good glass)my 10x40 Zeiss Classics, an exceptional pair of 8x42 of Nikon Monarchs, and a friends 8x32 SLC's. I would rate them the best of the bunch overall. Just a bit sharper than the Zeiss, a better FOV than the SLC's, and a tiny bit better definition than the Monarch's. The ergonomics are excellent. The Zeiss are great but exhibit flare when looking into the sun. Very nice glass for $350 and perfect size for hunting,I like the size, feel FOV and color. Can't imagine a better pair of hunting Binos.
My old Jap Monarchs continue to amaze though in how they stack up.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by RecoilRob

I know...it makes me sick to my stomach that I missed it.

Schuey or chasvic, could either of you post a picture of the binocs with something beside them for reference to I can get an idea of the size? something like a hand or $100 bill (you should have plenty lying around being as you saved so much money :D)
Thanks.

Here you go. This is not the world's greatest pic, but it will have to do. (I had to boost the gamma correction of my pic in order for the dark HG's to stand out. Otherwise they would've been hard to see.) wink

[Linked Image]

Sizewise, they are small, but not too small. They just fit my midsized hands. They are similiar in size to the Minox BD 6.5x32 IF, with the IF's being just a tad fatter and a tad taller. I really like the way both of these feel. The IF's with their large ridges on the outside really fill your hands. While the HG's with their thick, smooth 'n grippy armoring feel different, but are every bit as nice as the IF's to the touch.

If you have large hands, I could see where these HG's might be a tad small for some. Of course, YMMV.
Perfect! Thanks, Schuey. My hands are not large, so I was hoping they'd be smaller rather than larger.
....Very nice glass for $350 .....

I think I'm gonna vomit....again.
© 24hourcampfire