Home
OK, i have been eyeballing a scope for about $225 total, and had it pretty much narrowed to the Redfield or leupy 4-12 power (leaning toeards the red) and then I saw the cabela's scope - anyone have expereince with THESE SCOPES ONLY and was it good, boad, or?????
They are NOT made in America, nor do the have the Redfield/Leupold guarantee.
Originally Posted by oldman1942
They are NOT made in America, nor do the have the Redfield/Leupold guarantee.

Any optic with Cabela's name on it is guaranteed for life, dumbazz!
I only own one Cabela's Alaskan Guide scope -- a 1x20 fixed power. It's an OK scope but, IMO, not as good as the Leupolds I have. I have no experience with the new Redfield scopes but I've hard they are roughly equivalent to the Leupold Rifleman or VX-II's. If true then, at 2/3 the price, they're a good deal. I plan on buying a 2-7x33 in next month or so.
tasco stoney point turret's fit and work on my 4.5-14 !
i've owned it for a number of years, and it hasn't let me down.
tracking is okay, clarity is fine, not stellar, but it sure has killed a lot of coyotes !

If you go to a Cabela's their bargain cave always has a bunch or their refurbished scopes and binoculars. That's enough to keep me away from them.
I have a customer whose Cabela's Pine Ridge scope went bad, it wouldn't hole a zero, and Cabela's wouldn't do anything for him. IIRC, they wanted proof of purchase, the original box and/or receipt, before they would exchange/repair it.

Maybe he was the odd man out, but there are too many functional scopes out there for me to waste time and ammo shooting a lower tier scope if I can avoid it. The lowest prices scopes that I've been using and have been happy with are the Philipines built Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10x40 that Natchez has been closing out for $60. They seem to work well on the rifles in 22LR, 223, 22-250, 243, 257 Roberts, and 260 that I have them installed on.

Jeff
dumbazz was kind of unnecessary don't you think? I had a VX-1 for about $200 while nice was not very bright and I didn't care for the adjustments. Wonder how a Vortex Diamondback that is fully multicoated might compare. Few bucks cheaper too. Fully multicoated, pop up adjustments with audible 1/4" clicks and Argon purged. Getting good reviews and seems kind of interesting.
oh boy, I hate to do this since you asked not to, but.....you are only 40 dollars away from a quality scope with a huge following.

http://www.cgwgun.com/Rifle-Scopes/Bushnell-Elite-4200-RifleScope__BSN-423944M.aspx
IMO the Cabelas Pine Ridge scopes suck. If I were you I wouldn't be too set on Leupold's VX-1 or Redfield Revolution either.

As high country eluded to there are much better scopes than those you listed for a few $$ more
Not what you want to hear, but I would rethink your options. All of the scopes mentioned would set you up for dissatisfaction and eventual replacement IMHO. The Redfield I am not familiar with so may be off base on that one, I'll wait for others to try them first. I would rather have iron sights than a poor scope if it came down to it.

I would save and shrimp and look at sale and used scopes first.
I dug around the safe and pulled out VXI 2-7x33,Redfield 2-7x33,Rifleman 2-7x33.Only the Redfield is mounted.I cant tell any difference looking through them.Dug out two Vortex,1.75-5x32 and 2-7x35.Both Vortex beat the other three in everything except appearance(large eyepiece).If a bright and clear scope for under 200.00 the Vortex is the better.
I have a Cabela's Alaskan Guide in 4.5-14sf x 50mm. Bought it a few years ago on closeout. Kenco made in Japan, optics are good. Pretty much identical to a Sightron SII. I paid less than two bills for it.
I don't know who is making their scopes now, but this scope has optics as good or better than the Phillipino made Nikons that I have looked through lately.
BTW, I picked up two of those 3x9x40 4200s on flea-bay this year for $239.99 shipped. Very good glass.
Closeouts..gotta love 'em.
© 24hourcampfire