Home
I had been using Crooked Horns, but ran into a friend who swears by Nimrods. Just got a pair of the Nimrods and gave the Crooked Horns to a friend. The Nimrods are the same price and way better. Kinda curious what you guys are using?

When I hunt, I am a sweatin drooling mess. In an attempt to keep the eyepieces of my binos clean, I attached the rubber cover they came with to the Nimrods straps. Seems like it will work ok, just wondering if there is something better.
Factory strap lengthened about as long as it'll go, slung over one shoulder, glass under off arm.

Purchased one of the Badlands magnetic closure bino cases awhile ago thinking it'd be the cats meow, but knew it wasn't for me as soon as I took it out of the box. No way I could stand to wear that bulky thing for very long!

What's the advantage of the Nimrod over the Crooked Horn?

The Crooked Horn is all elastic, where as the nimrod is nylon straps on top and elastic on the bottom. Better yoke and a great quick release setup. Also, no leather so you can wash it to get the stink out. Good stuff!
I'll have to look them up. What's the cost?
$26 plus shipping. $32 or so I belive.

http://www.nimrodpacks.com/n9.html
I've been using the Vanguard bino harness for a few years and have no experience with others. The Vanguard is all elastic straps, leather back piece, and not quick release! I like them fine but then I hadn't considered that there may be something considerably better out there.
I may have to try those Nimrods.
I use this set up, and really like the ease of use, and simple design.

http://www.delnorteoutdoors.com/home.php
The Optic Belt by Del Norte is super! Easy to use, keep the binos from swaying and covers the ocular lenses and keeps crap off of them... got mine on E-bay...
I have ditched the Crooked Horn harness because of the bounce and swing. Now, the two setups I have are the Bino Manager and the AlaskaGuideCreations binopack

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/stearns-mad-dog-gear-pro-series-bino-manager.aspx?a=277126

http://www.alaskaguidecreations.com/

The Optic belt does not provide any protection for the objective lens--a big minus for me.
+1 on the Alaskan Guide set-up.
I'm with Redrabbit and scottryan
Alaska guide creations
I like the bino-caddy. Straps around my shoulders and not on my injured old neck, and the binos hug my chest until I need them.

In honesty I haven't tried the ones mentioned above; might be a better way to go.
I like the harness system, a good one is the Vortex VT-100 Harness Strap, keeps it from bouncing but elastic for easy pull up and viewing.

Cameraland

The AlaskaGuideCreations bino pack comes in two sizes, one for 10x40, and a larger size for 15x56. I have the larger size for the 10+15 Duovids, and can fit the Leica LRF in the front zippered pocket. Also made in USA.
The wife and I use the AlaskaGuideCreations bino pack also. Great product and as stated they are made in the USA!
I can't imagine not using my Bushwacker lens covers, no matter what harness I use.
I have found the straps that come with the Swarovski or Leica binos are more than adequate when used in conjunction with a vest or coat to slip the binos into the front.

When the weather is too nice to wear a vest, I use the Leica compact Ultra Vid binos and just stick them in the shirt pocket. simple and easy either way.

Anyone doing anything different is just plain wrong....
Ordered one of the optics belts from Del Norte over 10 days ago after reading this thread,and so far have not seen it yet. Sent 2 emails and called them (no answering machine). No response. I'm beyond PO'd.
I like the IPI bino manager alot.
I think Del Norte is out of business. I called this morning and phone number has been disconected.
I am just using the strap that comes with binoculars.
Take a look at the leather bino strap that is sold by the folks that sell Long Grass shooting sticks. You wear it diagonally across one shoulder and chest and the binos ride just above the left hip. Sounds bad but works good. When you need the binos, you just pull them up and the strap slides around your body to allow them to come to your eyes.
The old crooked horn bino buddys do the trick for me. There may be a better set up but I havent needed to try anything else.
Got my harness from 'Eagle Optics" about four years ago. $19.00. Wouldn't be without it in the field. Tom
I have tried them all..Around the neck will tire you out, give you a sore neck and all manor of problems, not to mention they don't stay stationary in all positions..The Harness is just that, a harness and I fell like a hog to be slaughter..

What I do like is the so called "African carry" and I make my own straps out of 1.5 or 2 inch webbing..You sling the binocs under your left arm pit just above the waist. You can move them to any position on your body like on the chest by simply sliding them there or on your back or wherever the situation calls for and they will stay there even under harsh conditions. You never tire of them and in fact you never know they are there..

Those African PHs live with their binocs day in and day out for 9 months of the year, they have it figured out. I can't imagine packing them any other way.
Holy Smokes my Optics Belt showed up yesterday in the mail. No invoice or packing slip included in the shipment. They never did respond to any of my e-mails.

Oh well, I kind've like the product.
© 24hourcampfire