Home
I just bought a set of Conetrol rings and bases off the classifieds here for the ultra low price of $8.

I've always liked the looks of these rings but I've never met anyone who used them.

The Conetrol website makes them look as though they are the bomb but that is to be expected I guess.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's actually used them what they thought of them.

For $8 if they are garbage I'm not feeling too badly.
They are very well made and quite strong. Another nice thing is that both front and rear rings are adjustable for windage.

They also look damn good. The only big problem is they are somewhat of a PITA to put together, but not too bad if you've done it once or twice.

Many people make the mistake of over-tightening the screws in the bases that hold the rings on. This can REALLY leave ring-marks, and even crush a scope's tube.
Good to know about the overtightening.

Thanks for the info JB.
JB,
They gotta be just right (the ring screws just as you advised. Too tight and the ring base screws will crack the rings in the seating area and cause poi to go horizontal.
They do look nice and they are strong. Regular inspection in my case is something i do now after the horizontal poi issue I had several years back. The original poster got a real deal at $8.00!!

Dave
nsaqam- thanks for posting. I was on the verge of posting a similar question. It occured to me that everyone here seems gaga about Talley rings (beauties, no doubt) but you never hear much about Conetrol. I figured someone must buy them, they've been running the same ads for years.
cra1948,

I used them years ago. Now I use Burris Signatures with the plastic inserts.
Cra, I get a kick out of the old timey ads they've been using for decades it seems.

RT, thanks for your info. I think I'll download the instructions off the website and follow them religiously. If that proves difficult I won't hesitate to call them.

I've always wanted to try these Conetrols but could never justify the $120 minimum to get new ones.
I sent the seller $10 even though he only asked for $8 because I felt guilty. smile
There a PITA to install and square up, but once you do they look great.
I have a set on a 1946 Win-70 in 300 H&H and they havent slipped on top of some pretty stiff loads,
You got a hell of a deal, IIRC mine cost about $200 w/ S&H.
N,
Look at the tapered area in the base of the rings real close. Use a magnifying glass of some kind. If it looks like the tapered area has been 'smeared" from overtightening look real close for a crack. If none of these issues exist you made a whale of a buy. The old guy that owned Conetrol and started it (George I am pretty sure) lost his wife several years back. He was pretty old then and am not sure he didn't sell the company. He was a great guy to talk to and was quick to point out that he made the BEST scope mounting system in the world. I think he was right.

Dave

Good score. I don't know what they fit but I'll give you $20 for them!!

I just picked up a set that were mine previously, bought them back from a member that I sold a gun to a few years ago and he wasn't using them. One base screw was missing so I called Conetrol and they put it in the mail the same day. Nice.

Edit to add: I think that was George I talked to.
Law,
Great news if it was George. He was telling me about his wife after she passed one day when I called and ordered a base and ring set several yars back. He is a real nice person. If memory serves me correctly they had been married well over 40 years.
Next custom I do will have a set of Conetrols on it with the Gunnur Bases.

Dave
They are for a Remington 700!!!

They were listed for 18 minutes before I saw them.

No I'm not selling! grin

RT, I'll closely inspect the rings for any damage to the seating cone areas.
N,
They are the slickest and cleanest looking base and ring mounting system IMO and they keep things where they belong. They are a little tough to get together right sometimes. You stole those things!

Dave
I've had them on my go to .270 Brown Precision M70 for a long time with no problems whatsoever.
I've had them on my 270 for more than ten years. Great system.
They are exactly as advertised. Strong, and very smooth.

When you call Conetrol, only George answers the phone. (If he's still there, and I sure hope he is.) And he can answer any question you have.
I had a set on a Sako 75. Looked real nice and seemed to hold up well. But I prefer Talleys now.
George is still there. Or at least he was manning the booth at the Kalispell gun show a few months ago.
When mounted properly they are some of the most bomb proof mounts made. I think they are one of the better looking mounts so if you are of like opinion then they are the best mounts made. Just like the add says.

If you are careful about removal and re attachment they are not only repeatable but two scopes can be preset to zero and exchanged. This is with the Custom bases with a lock screw and only by adjusting one base screw when removed.

I always wanted to put side levers on a set but have used Talleys instead for that purpose.

Had a set for an 1885 Browning that didn't work out with the scope, so they custom ground them to fit my rifle at no charge.
The customer service is as good and old fashioned as the add.
I have them on four of my rifles, one set for more than 30 years. I prefer them to all other brands I've tried. Mule Deer summed it all up well (but it took me more than a couple of times to get installation down!)

I prefer my scopes mounted very low. The last set I bought was a couple of years ago to replace a set of "low" Talleys on a 98 Mauser. The Conetrols set the scope much lower and allow me to get a good cheek weld. Now I'm wondering what I'm going to do with a virtually new set of Talley bases and rings.

Conetrol service has always been excellent but the current price made me try the Talleys. Now I'm out the cost of the Conetrols and the Talleys! (Story of my life -- too late smart!).
I have 2 sets of conetrols mounted on a Remington SA and LA. They aren't really as heavy as one would think and they are the toughest and best looking system going. They have great customer service too. I just called them yesterday to buy a set of base screws because I plan to swap guns and the loctite messed up the other set and they sent them for free. I wish I could put them on all my guns, but they are expensive. You stole them for sure. They can be a PITA to mount, but it's not something you have to do everyday so I can live with that. Also I believe they run low...ie.... med conetrols are like most other companies' low etc.... Ebay is a decent place to put a set together. Look for the markings on the bottom of the ring 4 is low, 8 med, 12 high.
Boy am I anxious to get these rings and mounts.

If everything is as good as all you folks say these Conetrols will be replacing a very nice set of Talley LW lows.

I'm planning on selling the Talleys here on the 'Fire if all is well.
Conetrols are great rings, almost as good as S/Khttps://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/default/grin.gif
I have a set that held a Weaver K3 on my Browning BLR. Very light and strong system. Gloss custom mounts and matte huntur med. rings. They're an engineering marvel to study when your bored at your deer/bear stand.

I replaced the scope with a Vortex Diamondback and now use Dednutz mounts and rings. I think the scope, rings and mounts are sitting in a cigar box some where....

Dan
I don't have any at the moment, but they are my favorite.

They simply look the best and they do their job of holding the scope where it should be.

I think Conetrol is the last place on earth that still makes a set of mounts high enough to clear the stock bolt handle on a BRNO 21H. For that reason alone they're hero's in my book.

The only set I own are from the Daptar line which isn't the same as the standard line. The rings don't look nearly as nice but like I said before, THEY FIT. smile

There are some things I really do not like about this mounting system though. It requires a special allen wrench to tighten the bases to the action and then it takes two other size allen wrenches to tighten the rings to the bases and for the ring tops. So it takes 3 different allen wrenches and if you loose the special one I'm not sure where you would get a replacement if Conetrol was no longer around.

Don't want to complain to much though, it's a nice if not overly complicated product.

Terry

[Linked Image]
You could drive a truck under that scope! <grin>
I have been PMing back and forth with nsagam tonight about the set of Conetrol mounts I just got second hand. We were trying to figure out what my problem (just the base/rings, not personal) is with these. The front ring is too close to the guts and I don't think revering the base will help it, but haven't tried.

I guess I'll have to check with George and see what the deal is. I think these have the extended front base and won't work so well with the short action? Shown with a gloss finish 2x7 Leupold on a CDL LH 243.

[Linked Image]
Yea, but you gotta look close to see daylight under the bolt handle with the action cycled. It's old school but it works great and I enjoy using the rifle.

Terry
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They are very well made and quite strong. Another nice thing is that both front and rear rings are adjustable for windage.

They also look damn good. The only big problem is they are somewhat of a PITA to put together, but not too bad if you've done it once or twice.

Many people make the mistake of over-tightening the screws in the bases that hold the rings on. This can REALLY leave ring-marks, and even crush a scope's tube.

+1

I've used a lot of Conetrol mounts & they are some of the nicest & strongest around.

As JB says, they can be a bit if a PITA to get the scope squared up in the rings.

Here's a couple of hints/tricks I've learned:

1. Do not mix ring halves & caps, they are a matched unit & will not fit correctly if mixed. Note: on the top of the rings there will be an index notch & also a notch on the underside of the cap......these need to be aligned when the cap is put on

2. After getting the bases mounted, use half of each ring on the scope to get approximate mounting position on the bases

3. When you get the scope approximately in the correct fore/aft position, put the other half of each ring on & position the upper split together, place the cap on, and then pinch the bottom studs together.....this will begin to tighten the cap on the rings (this is done with the scope & rings off the bases, in your hand)

4. Pinch the bottom studs together enough to get them into the bases; do not tighten bases screws yet

5. Carefully (the rings are not tightened into the bases yet) mount the gun & check for reticle alignment & eye relief

6. If you need to adjust eye relief or scope alignment, then add a small piece of masking tape as a reference point on the scope tube in front or back of each ring, depending on which way you need to move the rings; take a lead pencil & mark each ring cap & the scope tube at the mark on the cap as reference if you need to re-align the scope reticle

7. To (re)move the rings, insert a screwdriver in the slot in ring bottom stud & twist to loosen the ring & pop the cap loose

8. Using the tape & pencil marks, adjust scope position as needed; check again, & repeat as necessary

9. After eye relief & scope alignment are OK, tighten base screws, alternating turns on each side & note that overhang of the base on each side of the ring is even.

MM
Originally Posted by TC1
Yea, but you gotta look close to see daylight under the bolt handle with the action cycled. It's old school but it works great and I enjoy using the rifle.

Terry

AND it's a cool gun!!
MM, thanks for those tips, they'll be utilized!
Good luck with them............note the edit on cap/ring alignment mark. Forget to put it in originally.

MM
anyone want to trade a 2 pc set for a 1 pc remington l/a ?
got the set up on a trade rifle, and really don't care to the 1 piece base.
© 24hourcampfire