Home
Got my eyes on a Ruger 10/22 Target model, this is the 20" heavy barrel job with the laminate stock. It will be strictly a fun gun for tin can drilling but I'll probably want to do a good bit of 200 yard plinking as well.

Wanted to get opinions on how to scope it. Always been a strictly Leupold guy but figure it's time to expand the horizons. Don't want to spend twice the price of the rifle so am looking for a decent mid-range priced scope, say no more than $250-$300 retail, preferably with turrets. The Weaver T series come to mind but they only make them in 36 and 24 power which is a bit much.

Anyway, what are you guys using and how well does it work?
A 10X Super Sniper isn't bad for $299. Turrets, parallax, mildot reticle.

I've ran my 16X on my 10/22T, but too much magnification for all around use.

Ran a big Nikon Tactical 2-5-10x44 for a while too, 10X is plenty.
The Weaver V-16 is very popular among 22 RF shooters. It focuses close, has adequate optics, and is rugged. I had seven of them over the years, but not all at one time. I have three now. I think that 16x is enough to shoot max distances with a 22RF. In mid-day, when the mirage is real bad, 14x is about the max power I can use and still see the target well.
It is also very popular with the springer air rifle shooters. It is one TOUGH scope. I keep one in Leupold QR rings to move around from one rifle to another for load testing at 100 yards. 16x is enough for seeing bullet holes at 100 yards.
From 11 years of experience using V-16's, I gotta say it may very well be THE best scope Weaver ever made. It's in the same league as the older Bushnell Scopechiefs in terms of design and assembly.
The V-16 is in your price range too.

Don
Thanks - the Weaver series is what first came to mind, especially the old T-10 that silhouetters really liked. They only make a straight 24X or 36X in the T series now, and the only V series with mil dots is the 6-24X42 but that's a possibility.

That Tasco Super Sniper sounds good, I looked at the SWFA website but I'm not sure if it's available any more. Can't find it by search and clicking on their links gives a 404 file not found error. But I'll keep looking. Did look at some Tasco Target models, they make a 2.5-10X42 and a 6-24X42 with mil dots, those have turrets, parallax settings down to 10 or 15 feet and "true mil dot" reticles. Only was able to look at the 6-24 at Cabelas but am oging to look around for that 2.5-10, that sounds like it could be just the ticket.
As an aside - got the 10/22 T yesterday morning and mounted a Leupold 3-9X40 on it, that was the only spare scope lying around.

Took the target model and my old 1968 vintage 10/22 carbine out yesterday for some "over the car hood" testing. The carbine has the same 4X Bushnell Banner .22 model it's worn since forever.

It's either heartening or disappointing depending on how you look at it, but that old, rust freckled, dented stock, 9 pound trigger pull carbine fired 25 yard groups just as good as the T model. shocked Even at 50 yards and beyond it wasn't too outclassed. The target model did show it's stuff farther out but I'm almost thinking that's due to the better optics it had.

Still a lot of fun. After dinking with centerfires for so long you forget how much fun it is to just get out with the semi-auto .22's and burn up a few hundred rounds. wink
I've got that rifle with an older Leupold 3-9x40 Vari-XII. Thinking of selling that scope and putting an FXII 6x36 with an M1 turret on it. Did some ammo testing yesterday with the gun - CCI Velocitors shot very, very well (better than Federal Gold Medal Match). If you get it you'll like it.
I have a Leupie 3-9 Compact on mine.. Love it...
Jim the Super Sniper is still on SWFA's website but not under Tasco, look under SWFA SS Rifle Scopes.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx
How about a Mueller APV for $115 delivered or a Mueller APT for 145 delivered. Both are 4.5-14 with the APV on a 1 inch tube and having a duplex reticle. The APT has 30mm tube and Mil Dots. 14x is plenty of magnification for plinking and informal targets.
I put a Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 AO on my buddies heavy barreled 10/22. I think it was a $75 ebay purchase.

Clear enough at 50yds to put 10 shots inside a nickel.

Haven't tried it at 200 yds though.

Dan

Thanks for the links. That Super Sniper Looks like a really nice scope. With the different ones it looks like they make a really nice model. Like up to $800 worth of nice!

Was about to order a Tasco 2.5-10 Varmint model last night since it has the dots, turrets and adjustable parallax which lets you focus down to 10 feet. At $69 it's not that tough on the wallet and seems like a good entry point. But a little voice in my head keeps telling me that you get what you pay for and to spend more to get something better.

What do you guys think of the Bushnell 3200 10X40? It's a straight 10 power and doesn't offer an adjustable objective. The Bushnell 3200 series overall seems like a decent scope and this model gets good reviews. Midway has it on sale for $199.99, down from $249.99. This is the version with mil-dots and mil adjustments on the turrets instead of � MOA clicks. After reading up on the subject of converting mils to MOA that would seem to simplify things, even if your clicks are now .35" instead of .25".

Either the Bushnell or Super Sniper would limit me to straight 10X which limits one�s close shooting, but that's okay, that's what handguns are for. wink

Sportsman�s Warehouse has the Bushnell 10X40 in stock but with MOA clicks. Going to go look at it tonight and if it looks good I�m thinking I'll order the mil-click version from Midway.
I've got a Mueller APT (30mm) 4.5-14 on it's way for my custom 10/22. They get lots of good reviews for the money at rimfirecentral

The 3200 fixed 10 is supposed to be a great scope for the money, didn't realize it didn't have an A.O, which some may feel inhibits it's use on a .22?
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
...What do you guys think of the Bushnell 3200 10X40?....This is the version with mil-dots and mil adjustments on the turrets...

I ordered one of the mil/mil models earlier today. It'll go on my 10/22.

Haven't used one of the 10X 3200s before, but everyone who has speaks favorably of them. Lack of parallax control may be the only downside for a rimfire.
Looked at the Bushnell 3200 10X40 last night. It�s a good scope, view is clear and the adjustments feel solid. The clicks on a 6-24 Tasco Varmint/Target they had were pretty mushy feeling. The view on the Tasco was okay up to about 10 power but any more than that and it just got all grayish.

Only drawback on the Bushnell is that it�s definitely made for longer range. It has a quick turn eyepiece that is used for focus and no matter how I tried it, the closest objects in focus were about 60 yards away. If I focused the view any closer the crosshairs went way out of focus.

They had some Zeiss and Nightforce scopes in stock, I guess a fellow could be happy with one of those as well. wink

It�s really looking like that Super Sniper on SWFA is the only viable option in my price range. The site says it focuses from 10 to infinity, assume that�s 10 yards which is close enough. While intending this for long range plinking, those insurgent tin cans occasionally show up at 10-20 yards and I�d hate to get overrun from not being able to focus on them.

Does this always happen to you guys, too? You set a certain budget and then proceed to blow it or at least go right to the top? Oh well, I�ve never been bitten by getting something a little better than I wanted, only when buying something lesser.
...It�s really looking like that Super Sniper on SWFA is the only viable option in my price range. The site says it focuses from 10 to infinity, assume that�s 10 yards which is close enough....

Should be OK. My 16X SS will focus in to about 10-11 yards via the parallax ring.

...Only drawback on the Bushnell is that it�s definitely made for longer range. It has a quick turn eyepiece that is used for focus and no matter how I tried it, the closest objects in focus were about 60 yards away. If I focused the view any closer the crosshairs went way out of focus...

Yeah, if that's the case I'll mount mine up on the 308. I've been wanting to break into the world of mil/mil anyway for the LR stuff.
Just placed an order with SWFA for the 10X42 SS, the base rear focus model. With priority mail it might get here in time for the weekend to take it out and play. That close focus down to 10 meters was the deal sealer. I don't mind 10X for closer stuff but it's hard to be precise when the target is totally blurred out.

Also ordered some Burris Zee 30mm rings - Medium height. Based on how the 1" medium rings lifted my 3-9X40 off the barrel the mediums should be sufficient.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Always fun to investigate new purchases.
I think you'll like it. Let us know how it goes when you get it up and running.
Jim in Idaho: I have had Weaver 15 power KT-15's (target scopes at a straight 15 power) on numerous 22 rimfires and a 17 HMR in the past.
It is an EXCELLENT scope.
I also have several Weaver V-16's (4 to 16 power variables) on rimfires as well.
I currently have a variable 6 to 24 power scope on my custom Lilja barreled Ruger 10/22!
I can really dial in on a Ground Squirrels head when he is just peaking out of its burrow with this 6 to 24 power scope!
Maybe look for a Leupold 6x18 variable on the used market?
I have used these on rimfires with great success in the past.
Or the wonderful Weaver V-16 would do you well out to 160 yards or so - this is about as far as I have ever TRIED to push a bullet from one of my 10/22's.
Best of luck with whichever scope you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I love my Mueller and enjoy the illuminated retical on my 10/22.
Well, rats! Got an email from SWFA that the 10X42 SS is on backorder. Didn't say when the next batch is expected in. cry Oh well, all good things come to he who waits.

Got a several years old M8 12X with target W & E turrets and adjustable parallax I used to use for silhouette shooting. It's currently sitting on a M700 VS .223.

Hmmm... wink
I have 2 Swift Premiers on my 22lr's.
They're clear and bright.
I like them.
I ran a Swift Premier on my 10/22 for awhile and had zero complaints. It had turrets so I moved it over to a .22-250 and replaced it with a Simmons Aetec 4-14x44. You can get them used for about $100. I bought one at the recommendation of Daveh here at the 'fire. I have no complaints or regrets.
© 24hourcampfire