Home
Posted By: rikker Older Leupold Vari - X II - 07/27/10
I have an older Vari-X II 3X9, the serial is 144207. Any idea about DOM and the performance of these scopes? Someone told me that the older VXII is the same technology as the new VXI - any truth in that? Thanks for the help RP
Posted By: bcp Re: Older Leupold VXII - 07/27/10
Scope model comparison:
http://www.leupold.com/corporate/resources/faqs/#questionFive

http://www.leupold.com/corporate/resources/faqs/#questionNine

Bruce
Posted By: mathman Re: Older Leupold VXII - 07/27/10
Someone told me that the older VXII is the same technology as the new VXI - any truth in that?

I think you mean Vari-X II, not VX-II.

Because of Leupold's choice of nomenclature VX can't be used as an abbreviation for Vari-X without confusion.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Older Leupold VXII - 07/27/10
If the glass is in good shape there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Good old scopes...
Posted By: rikker Re: Older Leupold VXII - 07/27/10
The dating chart only goes back to 1974. Since my scope has no prefix or suffix I now am sure it is pre-1974. Any idea where to look for DOM for scopes without a prefix or suffix?
Posted By: rikker Re: Older Leupold VXII - 07/27/10
Right it is Vari-X II - I have to pay attention
Posted By: OJVZ Re: Older Leupold VXII - 07/27/10
I have a pre 1974 3-9 scope in the family, and it is simply a Vari-X. To me, it compares very favorably with later models, and is still in use. The Vari-XIII scopes were not introduced until 1974, which could indicate the pre 1974 scopes were the best quality scope Leupold made at that time.
Posted By: atkinsonhunting Re: Older Leupold VXII - 07/27/10
If you intend to go shoot an elk or deer with it then it will do anything a $3000 scope will do..that is put the cross hair on the animal and pull the trigger..That is all thats required..the rest is hockey...I have shot deer with that scope when it was barely daylight, I couldn't see much but I know where the shoulder is and could tell the X was on the shoulder, same on a couple of Leopards but with lesser scopes.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Older Leupold VXII - 07/28/10
I recently returned a 30+year old copy of that same scope to Leupold. They cleaned it, checked it, fixed a spring and returned it in 10 days - no charge - and it's back on the rifle working great. Plan to hunt with it this fall.
Posted By: rikker Re: Older Leupold VXII - 07/28/10
What is even crazier is that I work less than ten minutes from the Leupold headquarters in Oregon. I can drop stuff at their office and pick it up in person. RP
© 24hourcampfire