Home
i'm looking for a scope to put on a new cz 452 american i'll take delivery on in a couple days.

this rig will be used only for squirrel hunting.

"clarity", "brightness", you get the picture.

so, what scope should i get?

thanks
leupold
Hensoldt! laugh
Kahles 2x-7x rimfire.
6x42 Conquest. Yea,I know,they don't make one(hint hint Zeiss).

I've got a 6x42 Simmons PH on my dedicated squirrel rifle for now. Not bad really.
Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 rimfire.
Originally Posted by RickOShay
Kahles 2x-7x rimfire.

Yup.
I ordered a Leupold 4x rimfire scope with the turkey plex reticle for my Win. M52B (reproduction). The reticle is fast on target.
I've got Leupold VXII 4-12x40 AO's on my rimfires. If Zeiss made a 3-9 Conquest with an AO I'd switch.
Really pleased with a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 17 Super 3.5-10 x 36mm AO on a Ruger 77/22. Parallax setting at 40 yards = squirrel pie.
I use a Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10x56 on my Anschutz 1717D.

Talk about clear and bright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bushnell 6-24x50MM Target on my Kimber HS 22LR. Clear focus down to 10 YDS (30 ft) with side parallax adjustment. I also use the same rifle for tactical 22 LR competitions out to 200 yds.

[Linked Image]

Bob
Took my limit one a.m. of tree squirrels using an M8 6x36 on my 10/22, most or all of those 8 were headshot, worked a bit better than a 4x32 Bushnell rimfire model that I dropped many over many seasons previously.
thanks for the suggestions men.
Tasco or Simmons!
Kahles 2x-7x rimfire.

I prefer the Kahles CL 3-9x42,I have them on my Anschutz .22 Hornet,and on my CZ 223,with two more on order for my Cooper 22lr,and Cooper 17Mach2.They are bright and clear,and have adjustable parallax knob on the side,rather than the objective.CDNN has them on for a great price right now.
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
I use a Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10x56 on my Anschutz 1717D.

Talk about clear and bright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you must be rich!!!! congrats
For me, it must have an adjustable objective(40mm +), a variable with magnification going somewhere north of 10X, preferably around 20X. Otherwise, you are out of the game when they enter stealth "laying flat so you can't see me" mode.
I just got a Vortex Viper 4-12x40 from cameraland and I plan on ordering another with time if they still have them when I get the funds. Very bright/clear. I'd be putting it or the Viper 2-7 on my dedicated squirrel rifle if I had one.

Brett (Mac)
The Nikon Prostaff 4X or 2-7X32 have a small enough objective bell that you can mount them fairly low without the bolt hitting the scope. Both are very clear.
To my eye, the Weaver 2-7x28 is a very clear little scope and is very light and compact. It is almost a compact as the Leupold for half the price.
I love the Conquest 2.5x8 on my Cooper Mach II.
Zeiss Diavari 3-9X36.......I just got one and it is an older MC model, but it is superb.......
My Kimber Hunter wears a Burris 3x9 Compact rimfire scope that Works REALLY well for squirrel hunting.
I use the older Leupold 6xAO for my squirrel rifle. Not made any more but turn up at gun shows.

Coach
My Remington 541T wears a 3X-9X-32 Burris Compact that is very clear.
I think you should spend top dollar. You never know when a trophy squirrel will appear right during those last few minutes of daylight when lesser scopes fail. Anything less than S&B is a disservice to the squirrel.
All I will say is that a plain old 22 LR really only has a range of about 50 yards and that a expensive rifle scope is not necessary for harvesting a squirrel.

My needs are that it should have one inch rings and be at least 32 mm objective with at least a 4X scope.

The low power scope will allow you a faster target acquisition and the lower magnification will compensate for parallax when you factor in the magnification power level of a Variable power scope.

The best scope in the $100 and under category would be a Bushnell Banner / Trophy or a Tasco World Class or Simmons.

If you have a real gun shop - you can walk in and just look at which scope best fits your needs. Do not go over board - because it does not take much of a scope to shoot 50 yards or less.

Use this online catalog as a benchmark of what it should cost to buy a new scope. If your local prices are not as good or if a good scope is not available locally - these people will ship it to you.

http://www.gricegunshop.com/specials/PDFs/10.19.10/2010-hunting-season.pdf

I'm surprised that no one said Pentax - at $99.00 it also would be a good deal.

Just stay away from the BSA - they are junk!
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
I think you should spend top dollar. You never know when a trophy squirrel will appear right during those last few minutes of daylight when lesser scopes fail. Anything less than S&B is a disservice to the squirrel.

I tend to agree. When you factor in the extraordinary costs involved with air travel, car rentals and outfitters, why take the chance on that once in a lifetime hunt with substandard optics.
Just keep in mind if the objective bell is not pretty small the bolt handle on a CZ452 won't clear it. I know because I had the problem.
That would be the ocular Swampy...
... and Ingwe goes for the jo-cu-lar. wink
Its all semantics..... grin
... some kind of antics, anyway. smile
Originally Posted by ingwe
That would be the ocular Swampy...

Thanks! You are correct.
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Just keep in mind if the objective bell is not pretty small the bolt handle on a CZ452 won't clear it. I know because I had the problem.

Try flipping it 180 and your bolt clearance problems should disappear.
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
... some kind of antics, anyway. smile

You are a cunning linguist, my good man....... whistle
Money no object? Many good suggestions, but I don't think anyone has mentioned a 8x56 Swaro or S&B. So I will.
© 24hourcampfire