Home
While beginning my search for a pair of coyote hunting suitable binoculars (what a world of confusion that is so far...) I have come across a question I haven't been able to answer for myself.

As the subject reads, what is the difference in design of a "box" binocular compared to a "clam" binocular?
Originally Posted by esmith
While beginning my search for a pair of coyote hunting suitable binoculars (what a world of confusion that is so far...) I have come across a question I haven't been able to answer for myself.

As the subject reads, what is the difference in design of a "box" binocular compared to a "clam" binocular?

I've never needed binos to view any "box" or "clam" I've ever come across!... whistle
Here I thought the only two designs were roof and porro prism. Could you link something that refers to these other types?
never came across those terms
Do a Google search for "box" and "clam"..... shocked
I suspect it's a matter of packaging. Once you get above 29.95 pricing, the binocular is more likely to be packaged in a genuine box rather than hung on a hook in a clamshell package.

It's kinda like at the 'fire. If you like it or you paid too much for it, it's glass, or maybe alpha glass. More pedestrian optics are bins, binos or "cheap chinese crap".
This was the example I saw. If it only refers to how its packaged, then disregard this entire thread! who cares!

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/bushnell.pl?page=bushnell150750 www.cameralandny.com
Some people call the binos, that are hinged so that the width can be adjusted as clams and the type that don't adjust that way as box.
In my experience all binoculars have adjustable interpupillary distance, because we are all built a bit differently.

If the difference were anything other than retail packaging, prices would probably vary. Usually the retailer specs preferred packaging from makers or wholesalers. Boxes are better for shipping, clamshells for retail display. If they have both types, CL lets the buyer make the call.
guessing
clam = single hinge (opens like a clam)
box = dual hinge (opens like a box top with two flaps)

It is the packaging. Clam shell is packaged in a plastic blister pack to hang on a hook display and box is standard box packaging.
© 24hourcampfire