Home
Is the Leupold 6x36 worth the extra $125.00 over the Sightron SII 6x42 ?

Sightron is offering a $50 rebate on the SII.
I've not used the Sightron 6x42, but I have the Sightron Big Sky 3.5-10x42. Great glass, IMO. I'd not be scared of the sightron.
What you gonna be using it for and where at?

Dober
Mixed woods, swamp and fields, mostly late evening.

Rem 700 in 6x47 Rem.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I've not used the Sightron 6x42, but I have the Sightron Big Sky 3.5-10x42. Great glass, IMO. I'd not be scared of the sightron.

I'm not scared either. For the price I can do without the gold ring...
Chrome: It seems like you have attempted to somehow besmirch the Leupold scopeline in your post?
Why would YOU ask a question then answer it yourself?
Oh well.
I own Sightron scopes AND a bunch of Leupold scopes!
The Sightrons are not even in the same league as the Leupolds!
That "extra" $125.00 you invest in the Leupold 6x36 scope is money WELL INVESTED!
Leupold is an American Company supporting American jobs and Leupold has a LONG history of superior performance in harsh conditions and of course there is their iron clad warranty service!
No brainer - go with the superior Leupold and consider it an investment - one in which if you ever were to sell either scope you would recoup a much higher percentage of your "investment" with the Leupold!
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Chrome: It seems like you have attempted to somehow besmirch the Leupold scopeline in your post?
Why would YOU ask a question then answer it yourself?
Oh well.
I own Sightron scopes AND a bunch of Leupold scopes!
The Sightrons are not even in the same league as the Leupolds!
That "extra" $125.00 you invest in the Leupold 6x36 scope is money WELL INVESTED!
Leupold is an American Company supporting American jobs and Leupold has a LONG history of superior performance in harsh conditions and of course there is their iron clad warranty service!
No brainer - go with the superior Leupold and consider it an investment - one in which if you ever were to sell either scope you would recoup a much higher percentage of your "investment" with the Leupold!
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Idiot.
Dale must have worked for Leupy.
Leupold all the way. Go on ebay and see which one holds their value. The Sightron will crash in resale value. Leupolds hold their value extremely well. Is it worth the $125? Absolutely! I would go with a Vortex or Leupold LONG before Sightron. They look okay out of the box, but they aren't in the same league with other brands that are a bit more cheese. Flinch
When I was in the gun biz (about 3 years) i sold a lot of the Sightrons, that I can recall never had an issue with them.

I found them to be clear, and the clicks repeatable and easy to work with. The only thing I didn't like is they seemed to have a skosh less eye relief and I was running a 3-12 on a 340. But I did like the scope and would buy one again.

Not sure if they do a dot system or not and that is what could or would make me lean to Leo if I needed it.

Dober
I am very seriously considering the Sightron Sii fixed 4x. SWFA sells them for $186 and if you buy before the end of March you get a $50 rebate. Thats $136 for the Sightron compared to $300 for a Leupold FXii 4x. Thats a big price difference, is the Leupold really that much better?
I've used the Sightron repair center, and it's rather speedy. (had some turrets tightened up)

If all I had were Sightrons, I'd be fine. Good scopes IMO.
Mark, did you see the clarity and brightness decrease over a couple of years? That has been my gripe with them. There is something in the coating quality that leaves me cold. Flinch
In all honesty I didn't, I don't have one anymore did sell a lot of them and still run into people who I sold them to and they're still hunting the heck out of them.

So I can't really say.

Was sort of suprised to see some of them in the back of Precision Shooters mag in the winners circle though..

Dober
WTF is a Sightron...something new?
I guess I should rephrase the question.

#1. I love Leupold
#2. I've used the SII before and it worked great.

New question -

If someone were to give you one of these two scopes free, which one ?

Sightron SII 6x42 and $125.00 cash
Or
leupold FX-II 6x36

Sightron 6x42

[Linked Image]
Sightron SII 6x42 and $125.00 cash (which I would quickly invest in a Leupold FX-III 6x42 which I've been looking into).
Originally Posted by miguel
I am very seriously considering the Sightron Sii fixed 4x. SWFA sells them for $186 and if you buy before the end of March you get a $50 rebate. Thats $136 for the Sightron compared to $300 for a Leupold FXii 4x. Thats a big price difference, is the Leupold really that much better?

I don't think the Leupold is better.. maybe more flexible.

I have both the 4x32 SII and a FX2 4x33. Optically about the same, If I pressed to say which is better optically..maybe the Sightron. The hitch to the sightron is its so short that its a challenge to mount on some weapons. The 4x32 took extension rings to work on a short action Ruger 77. After a bit I moved it to a marlin 1894 where its compact size is perfect. Its certainly a great deal at $190..with a rebate even better.
Originally Posted by chrome

New question -

If someone were to give you a dick in the ass or a Leupold

I would take the Leupold every time
Originally Posted by 300WinMag

Go back to sleep.........nothing to see here.
Originally Posted by Flinch
Leupold all the way. Go on ebay and see which one holds their value. The Sightron will crash in resale value. Leupolds hold their value extremely well. Is it worth the $125? Absolutely! I would go with a Vortex or Leupold LONG before Sightron. They look okay out of the box, but they aren't in the same league with other brands that are a bit more cheese. Flinch

Looks like a great way to buy an awesome scope cheap!

Hank
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by 300WinMag

Go back to sleep.........nothing to see here.

Okay, thats probably for the best. But WTF is a Sigthtrohne anyways. I see some cronies hawking them at local gun shows, but I can't get past the reeking aftershave and dried tobaccy smell to learn more about them. Are they an American made scope?
Nope. Made in Japan and they are a decent scope....not great, just a decent scope. Pretty good optics also. Comes with a 6 oz bottle of this stuff..

HAHAHA Nice. Clever too.
I'd take a Sightron Big Sky over just about any Leupold out there to be quite honest...

But I like fixed scopes so Leupold gets most of my business...
I've currently got three Sightrons in the safe--two 8-32x56 SIIIs and one 6x42 SII Big Sky. I've never taken a gander through the regular ol 6x42 SII, but I've read here, and elsewhere, that the SII Big Sky is a significant step up over the non-Big Sky SII.

And any of you guys questioning how good Sightrons are need to give one of the SIIIs or SII Big Skys a go. I absolutely love mine. Optics are great, and tracking is unbelievably accurate.

The only "bad" things I can say about them is that 1) they don't seem to hold their value as well as Leupolds (but what does) and 2) they don't do reticle and turret swaps like Leupold. With that said, I have noticed that the 8-32x56 and 10-50x60 seem to hold their value a little better, which I assume is because of their reputations with the competition guys.
The key to buying sightron's is to buy them used. They don't have the name/following leupold has to keep the values up. I picked up a SIII 10x42 for $350. Can't beat that. Great scope.
Yeah, I think I gave right around $200 for my 6x42 Big Sky off the classifieds here. My 8-32x56s I found online from a retailer that had a 20% off coupon going. Paid right around $675 a piece for them and I've seen used ones sell for more than that.
Hmm.. I might need a Hubble SIII for my Faux Greybull build.. whistle Oh wait, I'm downsizing.. Dang it. Old habits are hard to break!
Well if you get the itch, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. grin
BUMP an old thread- any good Sightron sales lurking around?
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
BUMP an old thread- any good Sightron sales lurking around?

Yes, The Big Sky SII's are on closeout AND have a $100 rebate. At $179 it's 1/2 the price of a FX
I'd prob run one if $ tight, but trust a Leupold day in and day out if I had a serious rifle/hunt, or just wanted to mount one and forget about it.

The Weaver K-6, 38mm, has a long record of solid reliability as well, and it's priced about the same as the sale on SSII's fwiw.

Originally Posted by Flinch

Some of us buy scopes to hunt with. I don't buy any hunting equipment based upon resale value, I buy it based upon utility, quality, and durability.

YMMV
If the Sightrons are so great, why are they on close out ? Leupold consistantly sells and upgrades their fixed magnification scopes. Their 6X42, for instance, was originally made with single coatings. Then it got full multicoating. Now it has a better gas fill, super hard, Diamond Coat Coatings and very reliable finger tip adjustment dials. As well as lots of options as to reticles, etc.
Their resale value is a good indication as to how well they are regarded.
Every few years we see the latest "wonder scopes" come along and get touted as better, cheaper, etc. than the old standards like Leupold. But Leupolds keep selling if anything more scopes than ever before. Even the much less popular fixed magnification models do quite well. Anybody remember the so called better Zeiss Conquest 4X ? How about their superior small variables ? They are gone. Leupold still sells lots of 4X and small variables. E
6x42 SIIB for $180 is a no-brainer, jump all over it.

And I am a card-carrying Leupold slut.
I didn't even bother to read all the replies to the original post, I can imagine what they say. (grin)

I have both the scopes mentioned in the op. The Leu 6x36 has a tick better eye relief and is just a bit less critical to eye placement.

Glass clarity wise I really feel they are about the same.

The reticle in the SII is bolder and bigger. I much prefer it to the leupold reticle.

In the end I'd run either one but but I KNOW that I can still shoot with the SII when it gets to the point that I couldn't shoot with 6x36.

You can't go wrong with either choice but I'd go with the SII.
Were you comparing the FXII or M8 side by side?

E - the 3-9x40 Conquest is not much larger, heavier, nor expensive than the 4x was...if the 4x was on the ergos of the FXII, it prob would have sold better. Sure would wecome a Conquest in 6x.......

Re: close out pricing, often demand reflects perceived quality and lesser known brands must often sell at a discount to entice buyers. Why buy a Kia at a Mercedes price?

Resale IS a consideration to me, though no doubt I also buy based on quality and how well a product meets my wants and needs. Price is a consideration, when buying, and on re-sale. No price is too cheap, if a product is cheap in quality. That's not implying anything about the SSII.
Originally Posted by 65BR
Were you comparing the FXII or M8 side by side?

If that was for me, I was comparing the SII 6x42 to an FXII 6x36. The SII I bought here off the classifieds and I don't know how old it is. The 6x36 came from the custom shop with an ele M1 and is about 2 years old.

I'm just stating how I see it while looking through both scopes side by side. The Sightron is right with the FXII in the glass dept and due to the heavier bolder reticle it beats it in low light.

I've got no stock in either company and nor am a leupold basher or leupold leg humper. If I looked at all my rifles most of them wear leupolds of some flavor. The Sightron SII 6x42 is a good scope though and If I had to choose to get to keep only one of the 2 scopes mentioned in this post I'd keep the SII.
I was not judging your review, but interesting in your experience and appreciate the feedback Brad.

I have always liked the Post Duplex and #4 vs the wide duplex they put in the latest matte models. The WD is fine for paper and I did put down to deer at dusk last year, w/an FXII WD but a thicker/bolder reticle is no doubt an improvement for fast target acquisition, esp. in low light.

Thanks sir.
I see the Sightrons are now down to $129 after rebate!!
Where are you finding that deal? I would love to pick one up. Thanks

http://swfa.com/Sightron-6x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9153.aspx
Just ordered my third SII Big Sky 6x42 from SWFA. Got the first two for $179 each after rebate. Great buy at that price. And the $129 after rebate is almost like stealing.

These scopes are very impressive.

Steve
You guys would have loved the deal I got on some 6x40 Bushnell sportviews in the 90s, IIRC they were $25 or $30 for 'refurb' that looked NIB.

Dropped a buck w/a neck shot using one on an 1896 Swede ...

Never had the optics of an M8, and down the road it went, but it was serviceable.

Anyone compared the SII to the latest K6?
© 24hourcampfire