Home
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/04/new-scope-ring-alignment-tool-for-hunting-rifles/

Check out this system for scope mounting in conjuntion with dovetail and or, dual dovetail rings and bases. Really works slick.

Jerry sent me one of these for T&E. Pretty cool idea....
I see where he has applied for a patent, but haven't long pointed bars been around for a long time? All he has done is found an application for one. I mean, if I kill a snake with a hoe, can I patent it as a snake killer? Makes no sense to me although I do see where it would work. miles
Yes, slick. Looks better than using a lapping bar to do the same thing. E
The best thing a guy could do is ditch the twist in rings! LOL especially rear windage adjustable.

Wait a minute........That's kind've a take-off from the scope mounting kit with two pointy bars that pointed towards one another and you lined them up with the points almost touching.

I can recall thinking about buying those from Midway 25 years ago.........
"conceptual thought" is always where its at--

about 140 years ago a fellow bent a piece of wire into a loop--

it was well known that wire had been around for many a year...

today we know that "bent wire" as a paper clip.

(while i know it can't be agreed upon as to who really was responsible/and patent vs. no patent, etc. the above example illustrates conceptual thought to this type of issue).
Posted By: jpb Re: Scope Mounting Made perfect... - 04/28/11
Excellent! I made my own long pointy bar years ago (got the suggestion from a gunsmithing book-- maybe Jim Carmichael's book?).

Only the best will do for my mounting jobs!

[Linked Image]

John
... and here I thought it was a Talley thread <grin>...
Originally Posted by highridge1
The best thing a guy could do is ditch the twist in rings! LOL especially rear windage adjustable.

+1
It is amazing that I never heard of this device before today and I can attest to it's simple elegance and design. I bought a Cooper 17HMR from brassman here on the Campfire and needed to scope it.

I called George at the Powderhorn here in Bozeman and told him I needed some matte rings to go on a new Cooper I had bought. When I got there, Bill and I put the rifle in the vise and he pulled this instrument out and we proceeded to put the rings on the rifle.

Bill explained the principle on how it was designed and we put the rings in place and loaded the tool into the bottom rings. With a few adjustments, we tightened everything down, checking the center of the bolt and bore with the points on the tool. After everything was set to our satisfaction, we bore sighted the scope only to find it off-center about 5 clicks.

I took it to the range and was 2 inches left and about 3 inches high, more than satisfactory for a bore sighting. This tool does work and would be a valuable tool in any shooter's box that cares about easy, true alignment of their scopes.
Very interesting!

One thing many people don't realize about the common pair of pointy-tipped mounting bars is that just because the points of both bars align doesn't mean the rings are aligned. This is easily proven by taking two pencils and putting the points together. The angle of each pencil can vary considerably.

Paired mounting bars are much more accurate when the flat ends are matched up, rather than the points. If you use the points, it helps a lot to place a small straight-edge along the bars.

I just received some really interesting alignment bars (1" and 30mm) that have slots so the base screws can be tightened when the bottoms of the rings are in perfect alignment. I haven't used them much yet, but they hold a lot of promise.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Very interesting!

One thing many people don't realize about the common pair of pointy-tipped mounting bars is that just because the points of both bars align doesn't mean the rings are aligned. This is easily proven by taking two pencils and putting the points together. The angle of each pencil can vary considerably.

Paired mounting bars are much more accurate when the flat ends are matched up, rather than the points. If you use the points, it helps a lot to place a small straight-edge along the bars.

I just received some really interesting alignment bars (1" and 30mm) that have slots so the base screws can be tightened when the bottoms of the rings are in perfect alignment. I haven't used them much yet, but they hold a lot of promise.

Where did you get those alignment bars?
The last scope I mounted in Leupold dual dovetail rings I went cheap on the alignment tool.

I found a 3/8" drive deep Craftsman socket in my tool box that measured almost exactly 1". The problem was I only had one. My next door neighbor just happened to have another one that was the same.

With the two 1" od sockets and a straight edge it was easy as could be to be align the rings and mount the scope.
Very interesting!

John,

I talked to Jerry about these bars, and he told me he has one with your name on it. I will get one from him and get it to you. They are a way to perfectly align the rings, I did it, so that has to be a testimonial of the simplicity of the bar...

Shrapnel
One thing many people don't realize about the common pair of pointy-tipped mounting bars is that just because the points of both bars align doesn't mean the rings are aligned.

Noticed that myself. The bars could be 90 degrees from each other, and still line up point to point. They actually work better if you flip them around flat side to flat side. That being said, a lapping bar works even better, and Burris Signatures work even better than that! cool
Shrapnel,

That would be great!
Agar426,

The bars came from a well-known custom gunsmith. He wants me to test them thoroughly before revealing anything else.
dogcatcher,

Burris Signatures are great!
I thought the same about the two pointy ends, and a light went on. The pencil analogy is a good one. I went with a couple of pieces of 1" drill rod, with the ends faced off smooth. One can also serve as a scope substitute for bedding the rings in epoxy.

And dittos on the Burris Signature rings.

Paul
I mounted my only set of dual dovetail rings without a bar or bars. I used my caliper and measured both sides at the area the screws go through the caps. It was very tedious but I got them aligned. My gunsmith looked at them later when I took the rifle to him to have the LOP shortened and said I did a good job and asked how I did it.

Agar426,

The bars came from a well-known custom gunsmith. He wants me to test them thoroughly before revealing anything else.

Thanks for the input! I've got a machinist friend of mine looking to make one for me, but I thought it may be easier to just buy one if they were available.....
Having been using a device like this for over 20 years.Only mine is a piece of aluminum tubing 12 inches long by 1 inch wide.It serves the same purpose and works great every time.
I have mounted over 400 scopes with excellent results.
Broom handle always worked well for me. smile
Originally Posted by slg888
Broom handle always worked well for me. smile

I used to use a broom handle. Now I use a 2' piece of 3/4" EMT (steel electrical tubing). OD is .94 inches, about perfect for alignment. You can buy a 10' piece at Home Depot for $4, or ask your electrician buddy for a left-over scrap.

That said, almost all my guns are mounted with Weaver-style rings and bases, a much more reliable system.
Any comments on the newish Sinclair line up tools with full diameter for the rings and soda straw size in collets for the alignment in lieu of butting either the pointed or the flat end on current alignment kits? I'd been thinking that depending on the base screw layout it might be possible to get under or around the soda straw size extensions - if the screws are not inside the bottom ring half.

For the traditionalist with a farm shop.

1" round PTO shafting - readily available, cheap and easy to machine. Not of course stainless.

Can be had with a key way/setscrew way running through which flat makes it easier to drill holes to admit a screw driver shaft and tighten base screws with the PTO shaft in place - tap the screw driver and take up a little more for final tightening.

Ultimately once again users are compensating for manufacturing tolerances especially across different companies with different standards - as rifle makers and mount makers.

I suspect - I might say I'm sure - there are mount makers who could make a base and ring set that would fit right on a given rifle but likely enough no other so why bother.
Yeah that's perfect for installing rings but is it actually patentable? There's nothing revolutionary about it, I made one of those about 20 yrs ago and probably a bunch of other people have too. Hell, any kind of straight pipe or even a dowel works fine and doesn't cost $85.
Posted By: FVA Re: Scope Mounting Made perfect... - 05/01/11
I use a 4' long 1" wooden dowel. I can see how this is a better mouse trap until you figure in the price.
Most of the rank and file Campfire readers would never have the need for such a tool. That is obvious by some remarks about broom sticks and other instruments. I have mounted a bunch of scopes over the years and wouldn't have thought of such an idea as I got by without it.

My father lived his entire life without a cell phone, but I would bet that more than 75% of the viewers here have one. "Getting by and wondering how" was a comment he made all his life. We can all relate to that statement in one form or another, but just because we got by without it, doesn't mean it isn't a great idea with merit.

I believe it deserves consideration from those who want to take care in the proper mounting of a scope. Once may not be enough, but it wouldn't take too many mounts before I could see it's value.
Yeah, I'm not really sure what this tool does that a 1" wooden dowel from Lowes for a few bucks wouldn't do. I mean it seems like a nice tool, but not really worth paying much for. If it was $10 vs $5 for a wooden dowel, I could see where it would be worth it, but at $85, the wooden dowel, or even a piece of 1" round bar steel for a few bucks at Lowes or Home Depot is a much better option imo.
Posted By: jpb Re: Scope Mounting Made perfect... - 05/03/11
Originally Posted by slowr1der
Yeah, I'm not really sure what this tool does that a 1" wooden dowel from Lowes for a few bucks wouldn't do. I mean it seems like a nice tool, but not really worth paying much for. If it was $10 vs $5 for a wooden dowel, I could see where it would be worth it, but at $85, the wooden dowel, or even a piece of 1" round bar steel for a few bucks at Lowes or Home Depot is a much better option imo.

True enough -- if you can find a truly straight dowel.

Set up a pair of V-blocks and spin a few: straight ones the length of a rifle barrel and receiver are rare (and ones that stay straight more rare yet!).

Steel or aluminum (after checking for straightness in the V-blocks) is the way to go...

John
Posted By: RAN Re: Scope Mounting Made perfect... - 05/03/11
Wonder why he doesn't provide a bore hole in the bar so one could bore sight it and the rifle bore on the same distant point. This would allow alignnment in both planes instead of just one.

RAN
I've mounted hundreds of scopes without lapping, or any fancy gear. I've never had a problem. Just lucky I guess. Why must everyone over think everything?
You are right, I guess it really doesn't matter that much if you're only shooting a Remington...
kirk--as always, you're spot on. the scope-tru is intended for a fairly narrow audience.

for many years, i set my standard and dual dovetail rings with a wooden dowel and a rafter square--a tedious process that produced superb results.

over time, i began to dread this job--a job which i had always liked to do--because it was so tedious to "get the job done correctly, and with considerable perfection".

with that in mind, i decided to design this tool based upon what i learned by using the rafter square--and much thought went into the design, profile, length, and the additional part that can be used with it for those with myopic issues. after putting it off for a time, i finally machined one. the sole purpose in doing so was to have a device that i could set my scope rings with that would yield a perfect job, take much less time, and eliminate the tedious nature of earlier efforts. the alignment bar was to be strictly for my personal use. however, my wife encouraged me to pursue some course of action with it, and so i decided to do so.

the scope-tru is intended for:

**the professional gunsmith who will use it regularly;

**retail and wholesale sporting goods stores where many scopes are mounted over the years, and time and efficiency are issues;

**and finally, "gun cranks" who like to work on guns at home throughout the year--and who want to do the job easily and as close to perfectly as possible.

my wife and i both make a good living, we paid off the mortgage years ago, are debt free, etc.

therefore: at this point, one significant purpose is that if there is some small success in this, i can utilize any returns for developing a few other ideas that have developed in my mind(all of them shooting/firearms related).

as an aside, to execute this type of endeavor is quite expensive, and there are no guarantees of success or returns--but the learning experience, and the process itself are always worth it, and can often times out-weigh same.

as to cost: the total in materials and labor, with packing and shipping, is just over $50.00--but this figure is without the necessary product liability insurance added into the equation...
Interesting and informative discussion. Thank you.

1. Best suited to a narrow audience makes sense to me. I tried a different, but similar kit for my first scope mounting attempt 2 yrs ago. The alignment tools were handy and reliable. Having machined steel components assured a repeatable level of precision. I'd include relatively inexperienced who might want to mount several to many future scopes in the potential market though.

2. I can't say I get the pencil analogy in this discussion though:

"One thing many people don't realize about the common pair of pointy-tipped mounting bars is that just because the points of both bars align doesn't mean the rings are aligned. This is easily proven by taking two pencils and putting the points together. The angle of each pencil can vary considerably"

Doesn't the rifle make a straight mounting base? Beginning with that assumption, I can't figure how 2 metal "pencils" with machined, centered points wouldn't help align the ring bases. Error is possible but only if I ignore the rifle underneath. Prob I'm missing something, eh?

3. An additional feature that came with the kit I ordered also helped the rings grip the scope barrel better - better fit and more surface area. Lapping compound on the alignment bar was useful to remove excess material, which put more ring surface on the scope and removed the sharp edge which could have marred the scope barrel. A torque driver was also included which guided the mounting force I used on the torx screws - something also prob not needed for the more experienced, but it gave me some confidence I was putting enough force into the job and w/o stripping anything out.

Good thread. Thanks.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You are right, I guess it really doesn't matter that much if you're only shooting a Remington...

That never misses.........
Originally Posted by Swampman700

We all hail to you mighty swampmeister.....we missed you up here last weekend. We're sure you would have put on a clinic in the wind......laffin!
grin
Originally Posted by Swampman700

But, you can't use a one piece base, as it surely messes with accuracy...

It's the theory on that tibbit of Swamp wisdom that gets interesting...

Would you enlighten us one more time, Swampy. Just want to hear it again...
This rod will align the scope horizontally, but I have seen a lot of base and ring combinations there were out of alignment vertically, for varirous reasons, the primary one being military rifles that had the receiver rings ground down to clean them up, and because of manufacturing tolerences between batches of bases.

In many instances, either the front or rear base would need to be shimmed, because to put the scope in the rings with the bottom of either ring lower than the other would cause warpage of the scope tube.

To test for this, I would position both rings, leaving the top off both. Then, I would install the scope, just using one entire ring, most times the front one. If there was a small space between the scope tube and the bottom inside of the rear ring, then that base would need shimming.

This would not tell you whether or not the front base or ring was lower, however, so I would reverse the procedure, tightening the rear ring but leaving the front cap loose. If gap present, then this would mean the front base would need shimming.

For proper, stress free mounting and alignment, the scope tube needs to in alignment both vertically and horizontally.

Lapping would not cure this. You could get a good fit of sorts, but in the above situation, where either the front ring or base was not of the same height, lapping would make the hole in one or the other rings egg shape.

Meaning, you would lap away the high part of the inside bottom of the ring to make an even fit in both rings, and if it was the receiver or base, or even the ring height that was off, you would be lapping off material in the ring to correct another misaligned part.

This is where a 2 piece, sharp pointed rod would be helpful. You could align the sharp points both vertically and horizontally.
back in the mid 1970's, i built two rifles with surplus actions--it was common to use springfields, mausers, and enfields--i used the 1917 enfield, and the 1909 mauser.

in 1974, i sent an enfield action to ken clark (he was known for his cartridge, the .224 clark--a wildcat using 80, 82, and 85 grain .224 bullets--something well ahead of its time). i only had him do the action work. a real problem with those enfields was the "enfield ears" which had to be ground off. each fellow that did that invariably ended up with a somewhat different receiver contour, and fitting bases, along with deck height issues--made for tough sledding.

these rigs are seldom used as much these days--(slow lock times--calling for speed lock kits, and some, like enfields, needed to be converted to cock-on-opening, etc).

with modern cnc machining, there has been much more uniform results on parts--but unfortunately, in the past year to year and a half or so, i've seen a falloff in quality control with some of the parts i've used--they are not what i remember from just a few years back--and things could get worse. in one particular situation recently, i found the front ring to be lower than the rear--in a case like this i always try another pair. this qc is with respect to the everyday run of the mill components used by the average hunter, and not higher end components used in better, more expensive systems.

in my personal experience, along with the particular firearms i use (no cheap guns, and no surplus military action based rifles), i've found this "height disparity" to be of fairly small consequence. however, when getting ready to mount standard rings, the installer can check for height disparity by using the bar when it is lightly clamped into the front ring after its installation--if the bottom half of the rear ring slides under the bar and on top of the rear base nicely, the height is good. in some cases, the same technique can be used with dual dovetails; temporarily install the front ring, and then with the bar clamped lightly in that ring, move the bottom half of the rear dovetail against the forward side of the rear base--you can just get the edge to it, but it is enough to see if its good. (but remember, for the final mount sequence with dual dovetails, you must first mount the rear ring, and then the front ring). in those situations where you can't check height disparity by this method i've mentioned, if you already have a set of pointed bars, you can also use one of them in conjunction with the scope-tru bar to check for any height disparity. i designed a point on the rear of the bar for 3 reasons--1. so it is easy to install a partially assembled ring on the bar, ie., it acts as a chamfer; 2. to act as a "centering pointer" on the rear bolt plug, action tang, tang screw, or tang groove, to be observed at the final stages of the installation process; and 3. in the event a person already has a set of pointed bars, to use one of them in conjunction with the scope-tru bar to check for height disparity.

if a person is ultra concerned about these qc problems, one solution is that they can be cured with burris posiligns and their eccentric live centers--they're good medicine for same, but i've never cared for the appearance of them. according to paul mcmenamin (accurateshooter.com), he uses them when testing scopes--for when the testing is done, they can be sold "as new", as they have no ring marks.
this type of system--2 pointed rods facing--can facilitate the scope mounting process, but problems can arise, especially with inexperienced installers. to illustrate;

go to midwayusa, type in 227261, and you will see in that photo that the alignment bar on the left is "angled", and though the points are fairly close, they are not quite aligned. (this photo set up was probably hurried, and this was overlooked), but it illustrates the problem--the points can be close, or even right on, but the bars may not form a straight line. this is where installers can make mistakes--this system can work, but that front ring has got to be in line with the bore axis--it has to be "squared at 90 degrees". this is not easy to do, unless you have some distant "reference point" to align it with. then, the next goal is to get the rear ring positioned or set so that it is in a perfectly straight line with that front ring--that is to say, that a straight line would pass through the exact center of both rings, while at the same time being in nearly perfect parallel alignment with the bore axis.

with respect to height, these bars work pretty well, and most of the time i find that the rings will be good enough as is--unless the parts are poorer in quality/quality control (getting more common).

to visualize the description you quoted, set two pencils on your table, and make sure the points touch. view them from directly above. now, without disturbing the points as they touch, move the eraser end an inch or so. the points are aligned, but the pencils are not in a straight line anymore. (it is in this plane that it is easy to make a mistake during the mount process). now, get your eyes at the table top level, so that you are viewing the pencils from the side, in this dimension the points are in line--they are even in height, there is no disparity. i have found that in most cases, this is pretty close to how it will be when mounting rings on the rifle--if the receiver, the bases, and the rings are a good quality and well made. i've found that most of the time, their heights will be quite similar, (and the pointed bars will show that).

pat,

thanks for the post, and grats on that bear...

sorry i missed your visit here, but i was up in helena for the day.

your new scope-tru bar is in the post, and it will be there by wednesday. i think you will like this one better. the new bar will look exactly like the one in these videos as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrhivelocity1?feature=mhsn#p/u/0/cTaRDi3bp3o (one minute version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEeL_QNJRf0 (five minute version)

this is the final cnc version of the scope-tru. i made these changes as part of the concessions necessary to obtain product liability insurance. the changes are for the better, as the tool is much safer if dropped, and it is also much easier to ship.

this "newer" tip profile is very similar to the "removable threaded tip profile" that was part of my patent application--in addition to the ordinary "conical tip profile" on the early versions that i machined. however, to keep production costs down, this tip is integral. this critical decision also does away with the potential thread pitch problems with the removable tip, as in mass production--concentricity issues can arise.

you will be pleased to know that our good friend bill beyl at the powderhorn is having a great time using it--he said that after mounting a few scopes with it, a check with his sweany site-a-line collimator confirms that things are usually lined up within about 4 or 5 clicks of adjustment.

while it is still too early to say with any assurance, if the outcome of these initial installations continue to form the same trend with subsequent installations, it could add up to some mighty fine medicine...

jerry

If time permits, in the next few weeks, Pat (scenarshooter), will be posting a few photos of a scope mounting sequence using the Scope-Tru Alignment Bar.

meanwhile, so that some of you can see some current photos of the Scope-Tru, here is our photobucket album:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h344/joyce_57/

this album will show a few photos of the Scope-Tru, some of which show the tool sitting on a wood base of quarter sawn white oak. the wood base will have a groove in it for the tool to rest in. (pics here show the board without the groove, in order to more easily show the whole bar). the tool will come with the wood base, and there is also a 30mm version.

included along with a few product photos of the Scope-Tru, are 3 photos of my watercolor paintings. In the next month or two, i will have my website up and running, and it will be divided into 2 parts: the "Scope-Tru", information on the tool; and "Aquamedia", images of my watercolor paintings. the website address will be: www.parabola-llc.com

there are also 3 additional you tube videos, all rather short segments based upon actual product photos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN4qXNRO_XQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5uJ36JcsBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na3yEywYO1E

my son was the photographer for these product photos...

Using Burris Signature rings, I pretty much never have to fret any of this.

Originally Posted by sir_springer

in a previous post i mentioned that those rings can be positive medicine for some ills--but i've never cared for the appearance of them.

one of the challenges i enjoy in working on equipment is, "problem solving", and doing it without something that i might call "band-aids".

...like checkering vs. stippeling--they both work, but one is a fine art--and functional as well. the other will jest "git 'er done".

or looking at it another way, though i'm not into cars; its like a '68 camaro with a spoiler. they were called spoilers, and i always figured the title was fitting, because they "spoiled the looks of the car..."

nevertheless, its a good thing the burris rings with their eccentric live centers are available--they are an easy and acceptable solution for those who want them...
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
Originally Posted by sir_springer

in a previous post i mentioned that those rings can be positive medicine for some ills--but i've never cared for the appearance of them.

one of the challenges i enjoy in working on equipment is, "problem solving", and doing it without something that i might call "band-aids".

...like checkering vs. stippeling--they both work, but one is a fine art--and functional as well. the other will jest "git 'er done".

or looking at it another way, though i'm not into cars; its like a '68 camaro with a spoiler. they were called spoilers, and i always figured the title was fitting, because they "spoiled the looks of the car..."

nevertheless, its a good thing the burris rings with their eccentric live centers are available--they are an easy and acceptable solution for those who want them...

I hear ya. smile

Couple of advantages with Signature rings, just can't get any other way...

Ring marks - I hate ring marks left on a scope, and the more expensive the scope, the more it irks me. Properly installed, just not an issue with these rings.

Time and money - just can't justify spending all that extra of both to solve a list of problems that a set of rings will avoid.

I've damaged one scope due to poor machining of the action where bases mount, on an Enfield P17 reworked by BSA. Bent the tube so bad that point of impact shifted 4" between 3X and 9X. Fortunately, Bushnell repaired the problem no charge for me anyway. Had Signature rings been around at the time, wouldn't have happened. And would also have negated the cost of correcting the problem with the rifle.

Appearance-wise, one has to look very close to see the difference between these and Weavers, Leupolds, etc. Certainly "ring mounts" such as Talleys have their advantages (fewer parts to go wrong) where rails of a sort are built into the rifle. But even screw on rails, such as Picatinny, I suspect can be torqued out of shape by misalignment of drillings/base surfaces on an action.

These rings are one of those inventions that I look at and wonder why all of 'em aren't made this way, eh? Just makes so much good sense!

Should also add this...

Dovetail mounts, IMHO, make Signature rings an absolute must!

First off, we use a dowel to twist the front ring into place, usually with a tad bit of grunt 'cause it's a tight fit.

We assume, having done this, the ring is a perfect 90 degrees perpendicular to the base/action. But is it??? Who knows for sure, and how do you measure it to be certain...short of expensive tools?

Then off to the range. Oh, I'm 7" to the left...I'll just take that up with the windage adjustment on the rear ring so as not to use up valuable internal adjustments in the scope.

Great! Now we've just torqued (if not permanently damaged) the hell outta the scope tube (that we lapped the rings to accommodate???) because there's no way on earth that front dovetail that we twisted into place is ever going to move to compensate.

With the Burris rings, first thing I do is loosen the screws on the front ring cap, then adjust for windage, then re-tighten, repeat as necessary. The bearings allow the scope to re-align accordingly, and we carry on without undue stress to an expensive scope that inevitably will affect how accurately it sights in for the duration of its ride atop the rifle.

Constantly read here about issues with scopes that don't adjust properly, or don't want to stay sighted in, and the first question that comes to mind is, were they installed on dovetail rings and then torqued (meaning, basically bent outta shape) with the rear windage adjust?

some good comments you make--and they show experience.

i've been setting rings and mounting scopes since the early 1970's. in that time one does discover a few things about the craft. i learned a few hard lessons early on--ring marks, scope slippage, etc.

since the mid 1990's, when i began using a carpenter's square (which lead to the developement of the Scope-Tru), i've set quite a few rings, many, many of them dual dovetail (leupold brand only), and have shot some of those guns for several years. in one case, a carbine .308, but in each and every case, whenever i've removed the scope for examination, there has never been a ring mark, nor a trace of the scope ever having been mounted. i mention this in my feature article on accurateshooter.com (this is with leupold brand dual dovetail and standard style rings. weaver and rugers rings often leave marks, no matter how careful the installer--weavers apply uneven pressure, and rugers are rather sharp, and the steel is harder, so lapping them in can be difficult). while some may think this impossible, this is in fact the case in the mounting jobs i've done over the past 15 years.

but, a poorly machined ring will cause marks for sure, and qc has been slipping in recent years. i still find the leupold's to be good, but i find i need to examine each set before purchase...

a specific rifle i mounted dual dovetails on last month came out 3/4 inch off of mechanical center at 100 yards--not perfect, but very good for a hunting rig. scenarshooter just set a pair of dual dovetails on his sako using the scope-tru, and he came out at 12 o'clock on windage, 4 inches high--but like me, he's been doing this 40 years--and is ultra particular to do a perfectionists job...

while somewhat premature, some early data on the average of several mount jobs, as done by several different installers--is that the Scope-Tru is acheiving line-up of ring axis to bore axis resulting in a range of "zero to 1 1/2 inches off" of mechanical center at 100 yards. most of mine are 3/4 inches or less...

My experience pales significantly compared to yours! smile

You illustrate a reality not understood by many gun owners: Scopes, indeed all sights, are adjustable in order to correct imperfections inherent in even the finest quality rifles...and for that matter, the sights themselves, particularly scopes and mounts.

In a perfect world, we'd install the sights, adjust elevation according to ballistic performance of the ammo, and carry on.

The average guy, truth be told, buys pretty much whatever the clerk at the counter offers up for mounts, and goes home to "set up" his rifle, which seems like pretty simple stuff. Attach bases (gorilla tighten screws), attach rings, lay scope in rings, and attach caps (be sure again to gorilla tighten screws). Good to go!

NOT!

I've read here and on other forums how "slippage" is solved by applying stuff like glue, electrical tape, or even roughing surfaces with emery/sandpaper on either/or/both the rings and scope tube...???? Really??? Yikes!!!

The next scope that slips in Signature rings I've installed will be the first...granted, so far the .300 WM tops my list in the recoil dept.

Following a few basic instructions, one advantage of these rings could be argued to be that it otherwise potentially protects the scope from somewhat crude installation procedures, eh? Heh!

Thanks, nice tool.
Where can you purchase one?
thank you for your many informative comments...

ultimately, what we all must realize is something akin to my signature line--the more we learn and progress, the more we learn that we know "nothing", because in the learning process, we are "made aware that there is so much more out there to discover". therefore, learning is "discovering our own ignorance". this is a continual, lifelong process. it is what makes life interesting and challenging--to always be in the process of learning, and finding new discoveries and challenges.

and it keeps us all humble...

as i mentioned before, paul mcmennamin (accurateshooter.com), uses the signature rings in his scope testing, as when testing is complete, he can sell the scopes "as new", for there are no ring marks. but it doesn't end there, they are a great solution for many shooters, and offer numerous advantages for many different situations. yeah, their appearance bugs the "traditional in me", but so does the cross slot system. yet they are both great systems, and for some applications there may be none better.

some guys do overtighten screws--and sometimes, even worse. recently, i saw a young fellow in a sporting goods store, and he was proudly mounting a customer's scope. but, the young chap had it mounted with the windage turret on the top...

last week bill beyl at the powderhorn told me about a guy who mounted his own glass--a 4x leupold. he brought it in because he couldn't see out of his scope very clearly. (he had it mounted so that he was looking into the objective). in the backroom, beyl reversed his scope, and when the customer picked it up, he was astonished at the clarity. he asked bill what he had done, and in typical fashion, beyl told him, "I used that lens cleaner there on the shelf". the guy bought the lens cleaner and left very happy...

but back to rings and bases. for many years, burris made some of the very best bases--in my judgement, for a period of a few years, they were the best. but unfortunately, in my opinion qc on metal work is not what it was a few years ago, so i now use leupold bases and rings exclusively, unless i'm utilizing a 20 moa rail system. badger and near are excellent products...and i really like tps tsr rings (though i prefer to tighten them differently than they recommend).

the scope-tru is a very good system, and can assist one in mounting rings very accurately, and it definitely cuts down labor time. it can also be used to check the alignment of other systems that it isn't designed to install. a very great advantage is that you can see right up front what is wrong, rather than later on down the line when things are already mounted, and the sweany site-a-line is up the spout. this makes it very "shop time friendly" for gunsmiths, and retail/wholesale sporting goods stores where a high volume of scopes are mounted monthly.

i wish i could tell you that it solves all mounting problems--but the reality is that it can't. unlike "snake oil", it won't help poorly made rings, it won't cure arthritis, it won't brew coffee...

The same thing can be done with a 1" diameter x 48" long wooden dowel that you buy at the local hardware store. I been aligning rings with this for years. Not a big deal, really!!!!!
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
The same thing can be done with a 1" diameter x 48" long wooden dowel that you buy at the local hardware store. I been aligning rings with this for years. Not a big deal, really!!!!!

yeah, it will work--but i've turned a lot of rings with wooden dowels, and the 20 footpounds of torque needed to turn said rings always results in wood compression. with that in mind, the ultimate end is that the rings may not be "squared" at exactly 90 degrees to the axis of the bore, and unless you employ some means to accurately check and verify that, you're potentially settling for less than perfect. compounding this situation is the fact that if you find a straight 4 foot dowel, tomorrow it will likely be warped...

but perhaps this may better illustrate:

160 years ago alot of hardy folks made their way across this country in praire schooners drawn by oxen, and the trip took 4-6 months. a drawn out, difficult trip.

47 years ago my brother crossed the country in an old ford, and it took him 5 days. according to him, it was a nice trip, spiced up with stopping for a few panoramic pics.

two weeks ago my son crossed the same distance in a commercial airliner, and the trip took about 7 hours--pretty effortless...

for certain all three of these means "got 'er done".

why travel in a wagon when you don't have to, especially when there's more efficient means readily available...
after a couple of revisions, Montana Container has developed a suitable container for shipping the Scope-Tru tool. here are 30 photos of the complete package from our photo bucket album:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums...0BAR%20%20%20%20the%20package/?start=all

in addition, here are 4 photos of "the whole process condensed into just 4 views":

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h344/joyce_57/Scope%20Tru%20%204%20photos%20of%20process/

though i had planned on the website being complete by mid October--it is not ready yet. my hope is that it will be complete in the next few weeks. there is a considerable amount of information on the development of this tool.

the website address will be:

http://parabola-llc.com/

there are a total of 10 businesses involved in bringing this tool to market--nine are in Bozeman, and one is in Jordan, Montana. the Scope-Tru product is registered in the Made in Montana Program. the one inch diameter tool is ready, and the 30 mm tool is now fully designed, and almost ready to machine the first production runs.

as i mentioned a couple months ago--if time allows--scenarshooter will be putting up a few photos of the tool, and how to use it. but as noted, this will come later on this fall, as Pat is "snowed-under" right now, due to the arrival of that exciting time of the year...
Yeah, I could never figure the use of the two bars with points on end. Years ago I had a fine, fine machinist at the refinery where I was working at the time make a single bar (actually two) of OD equal to the average OD of a number of Leuplod scopes I owned at the time. With care and a touch of 1200 grit lapping compound I can get the rings set dead nutz. Once there, a final minor lap job and all is good. He also helped me out on a number of other what would have been high dollar fixes on a couple of cars. He was from Argentina and old school learned. If I could draw it properly he could nail it, quickly too.
Originally Posted by Tony
Yeah, I could never figure the use of the two bars with points on end. Years ago I had a fine, fine machinist at the refinery where I was working at the time make a single bar (actually two) of OD equal to the average OD of a number of Leuplod scopes I owned at the time. With care and a touch of 1200 grit lapping compound I can get the rings set dead nutz. Once there, a final minor lap job and all is good. He also helped me out on a number of other what would have been high dollar fixes on a couple of cars. He was from Argentina and old school learned. If I could draw it properly he could nail it, quickly too.

it's nice to know there are guys out there that find innovative solutions to these problems--not only for the challenge--but to raise the bar as well. these same guys really care about their equipment, and they want to get as close to perfection as possible. just from what you're saying, you surely must be one of those people...

running into those individuals who are old school trained--none of this hurry up and "get the job done quick"--they want to achieve their best, and in their quest to bring that out, they often produce the best. you're really fortunate to meet a fellow like that machinist, as you were able to blend your ideas with his skill-sets in order to innovate the solution that surely carried the day...

i've been amazed (reading some past posts on this thread), at the clever innovations that some of the campfire members have utilized in order to achieve their goals--sockets, calipers, electrical tubing, etc., all very, very clever and innovative--and it handily achieved their goal--to get the job done, and to get it done well.
Posted By: KDK Re: Scope Mounting Made perfect... - 10/29/11

though i had planned on the website being complete by mid October--it is not ready yet. my hope is that it will be complete in the next few weeks. there is a considerable amount of information on the development of this tool.

Yeah, I guess not. Is there going to be a translation into English? I somehow never managed to learn Latin! smile
Too funny. Shades of Life of Brian.

Pete
Originally Posted by KDK

Yeah, I guess not. Is there going to be a translation into English? I somehow never managed to learn Latin! smile

was that latin? i wasn't sure, but you should try sitting there and proof reading page after page of dat stuff...

all humor aside, i imagine jeff will have things ready in a few weeks.
meanwhile, i don't know why the pages appear as they do right now while it is under construction--but i'll ask jeff about it...

when the website is complete i'll put up a short post on the 'fire to let anyone know who might be interested, that it's "back in the english saddle again..."

here is a link to a 12 step procedural photo sequence for standard rings (dovetail front/windage rear):

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h344/joyce_57/SCOPE%20TRU%20%20procedural%20sequence/

and here is a real short video of the basic process, distilled down to 4 photos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2sLqgLRYs

Scenarshooter: Thanks for the great link to what I am sure is a great tool - I will have one soon I am sure!
I do the same thing now that Mr. Schmidt accomplishes with his tool but I use an old fashioned "carpenters square" (the 24" size) - although Mr. Schmidt's tool is obviously quicker and easier to use along with probably doing a better job of aligning the rings to each other!
I mount at least 20 scopes a year for myself and friends using my old fashioned "precision method/tool" but Mr. Schmidts tool again will make my task easier and quicker.
I wonder what material this tool is made of, aluminum or stainless steel - if you could answer that for me (concerned about shipping costs)?
Thanks again for the link.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I've been amazed (reading some past posts on this thread), at the clever innovations that some of the campfire members have utilized in order to achieve their goals--sockets, calipers, electrical tubing, etc., all very, very clever and innovative--and it handily achieved their goal--to get the job done, and to get it done well.

Tis true and the ones that sell to the public usually pay Rick for the privilege of hawking their wares on his site. wink

thank you very much for the good words.

for many years, i set my rings with a wood dowel, and then verified their alignment with a rafter square--probably in much the same manner as you. this technique produces very good results--excellent in fact. over the years, it became very tedious to me, as it is "turn in the ring, and check"; "turn in more, and check"; "turn back some, and check"; until alignment is achieved. tedious when you mount quite a few scopes in a year. with a Scope-Tru you turn in and stop at dead center--you can see it and verify it instantly. as you continue the process with the second ring, you can achieve near perfect axial alignment by getting both front and rear pointers nicely centered. in addition to this level of speed and precision, it can be used as a "diagnostic tool" as well--either on a rifle where someone has goofed up the completed job; or, in cases where the installation is in progress, "discoveries" are made by viewing the pointers--before the scope is in the rings, and the Sweany site-a-line is in the spout...

one example: recently a gunsmith called me and said that a customer had brought in a rifle "that he could not zero". he took the scope out and laid the Scope-Tru into the bottom of the rings. he put one ring cap on and tightened it. the bar "climbed up" out of the bottom of the other ring, revealing a gap of nearly 1/32 inch. the solution was a new set of rings, and he sent the other pair back to the manufacturer. this was a significant height disparity issue, and it placed considerable stress on the scope tube. he told me of other examples where customers had alignment issues with windage--too little adjustment left...and laying the tool in the rings gave a visible clue right now--the pointer was nowhere near the center of the barrel. this person is in his 60's, and he is both an engineer, and a gunsmith...

the one inch model Scope-Tru tool is made from LaSalle Stressproof 1144 steel.

(the cost of stainless steel was too high for regular production runs...)

at some point i will have just one Scope-Tru made out of titanium--for demostration purposes only, but the cost for a piece of metal, without the machining, was quoted at around $250.

Bill Beyl at the Powderhorn here in Bozeman--wanted to try an aluminum Scope-Tru, to see how it would hold up under daily shop use (he has been using a steel one for 7 months).

i had several made from 60 61 aluminum, and he tested one out. Bill told me that he was going to "use it very hard--but not abuse it". he mounted 50 scopes with one. it was scratched and scuffed-up some, but otherwise intact. since mounting 50 scopes with the tool and subsequently seeing just some slight damage--ie. cosmetic damage--Bill figured that some guys might benefit from the use of an aluminum model. in the future i'll have a few others tested. at this point in time i don't think it will be offered for sale--but that could change later on, as more results are compiled.

the steel model will surely be able to withstand a lifetime of normal, sustained use--whether in a gunshop, or a retail or wholesale sporting goods store, or in the homes of numerous "gun cranks"--where high volume scope mounting occurs. shipping on the one inch steel tool is usually near $18.00, depending upon how far away from Montana one might live...
It is amazing that I never heard of this device before today and I can attest to it's simple elegance and design. I bought a Cooper 17HMR from brassman here on the Campfire and needed to scope it.

I called George at the Powderhorn here in Bozeman and told him I needed some matte rings to go on a new Cooper I had bought. When I got there, Bill and I put the rifle in the vise and he pulled this instrument out and we proceeded to put the rings on the rifle.

Bill explained the principle on how it was designed and we put the rings in place and loaded the tool into the bottom rings. With a few adjustments, we tightened everything down, checking the center of the bolt and bore with the points on the tool. After everything was set to our satisfaction, we bore sighted the scope only to find it off-center about 5 clicks.

I took it to the range and was 2 inches left and about 3 inches high, more than satisfactory for a bore sighting. This tool does work and would be a valuable tool in any shooter's box that cares about easy, true alignment of their scopes.

I have taken a few photos and some short video clips of Bill down at the Powderhorn while he was using the Scope-Tru in the shop. Both of these segments are of actual mounting jobs done on store customer's rifles.

Here are two url's from my photobucket albums:

The first url shows Bill mounting a set of windage adjustable cross-slot style rings on a Marlin rifle;

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums...ross%20Slot%20Rings/?albumview=slideshow

The second url shows Bill mounting a scope on a Ruger M 77 using factory original rings, and his particular technique he developed using the Scope-Tru for obtaining a decent alignment;

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums...0Ruger%20Model%2077/?albumview=slideshow

Keep in mind that while these photos are the actual mount jobs done in his actual work day--the real deal while on the job--to try to depict what he was doing for some of the photos, I had to have him go back and "re-do, or re-create" a few scenes for some of the still photos, as i was also filming some video footage of the process too, and couldn't break from the filming sequence to take some of the still shots, until a particular film sequence was finished. Therefore, with this in mind, some of the photos had to be creatively arranged shortly after the fact, and so a few photos may appear in sequence a little different from the order they were originally taken in.

Website will still be several weeks out, as Jeff is too busy right now...

Though I can't be totally certain about this, i've suspected that Shrapnel not only uses the tool to accurately set his scope rings, but he might occasionally use it to open up a bottle of coca cola--Shrapnel style...
I would like to view your Photobucket albums on this mounting tool, but so far have been unable to get into the photos. This is the message I get when trying to enter:

This is a Private Album

Please enter the password from album joyce_57 to view this private album.

Private Album Password

So, unless one has the password to enter, it's "No go"

Respects,

Richard
last november i mentioned that the website for the scope-tru alignment bar would be completed in the upcoming weeks...

at present, it is about 90% finished. the only key portion that is left to do yet is the "order" page, as i have not yet decided just exactly how i want that done--how i want it to operate.

meanwhile, the website has a significant amount of information on the tool, and how to use it--

instructions; a brief history; purpose and function; essence; design of the pointer; etc. etc.

some of you may find the material and a few of the articles interesting. it is likely that most of you do not have a need for a tool such as this, but a few of you who may have improvised various items such as possibly either a pipe, a shaft, a dowel, etc--to use in a fashion similar to the scope-tru, might subsequently benefit somewhat from reading the 6 pages of instructions that were outlined in specific procedures for using the tool--check them out if you're interested. (the tool itself is intended primarily for gunsmiths, serious at home "guncranks", and retail/wholesale sporting goods stores where high volumes of scopes are mounted daily).

there are also a few photographs, slideshows, and videos contained within certain pages of the website that a few of you might find interesting to watch...

there is also a "testimonials" page, and some of you might recognize at least 3 individuals from the campfire--and in fact one of the testimonials was even derived from a post on the 'fire--as i liked it equally as much as the particular testimonial letter that was specifically written for me by the same person.

the link is: http://parabola-llc.com/

i do hope that a few of you find the website to be an enjoyable read--it was alot of work to put it all together.
© 24hourcampfire