Home

Goes legs up sitting over less than 20 rds of 350 Rem mag. Well see what they say on Monday.
It will be interesting to hear about what they have to say.

How did the scope fail?

How did you like the scope before it failed?

I loved the scope. It was very clear and the reticle is rather unique, kind of a 4a with a circle connecting the heavy posts.

Suddenly it was out of focus and was unable to be focused again; in fact, as I turned the focus ring all stayed fuzzy but the image actually seemed to change slightly in magnification. I suspect a loose lens.
That reticle is a #9. Got one...like mine.....
S&B is gonna take care of you.

Right, #9. Strange; rather heavy rifle for a 350 R-- recoil not too bad. Sure didn't last long.
Uh oh....that ain't good.... frown
Even the best manufacture makes a bad one every now and then.
Contrary to popular belief, there is no brand of scope that NEVER breaks!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Oh you gotta be kidding me. Next thing you know, you'll say something shot placement being the most important thing in killing animals, it doesn't take a 600 Nitro Express to kill a 100lbs whitetail, and the sun sets in the west.....and other misconceptions.
"...and the sun sets in the west..."
Mr. High Brass,
The sun does not always set in the west. Depends on where you live and the time of year.
Best Wishes

The reason I posted this is it just struck me strange. I've had a Leup 4x as a backup scope on a 340 B that is about eighteen years old and has ridden over at least 200-300 hundred rounds out of that rifle. I've another that's done at least a 100 rds over a 375 Ruger. Then the S & B 4x gives up after about 15 rds of 350 R ammo. Let's see the Schmidt is something on the order of 3-3.5x the cost of the .....

This is depressing..... cry smile
Well, it's going to the US service center in NH; if they can repair it there, 6-8 weeks. If it has to go to Deutchland,, 10-12 weeks with a possible loner to fill the gap.

Nothing against S & B, but this is a bit of a negative when compared to Leupy...unless maybe you're BobinNH grin.
George, hell don't look at me! I have owned one S&B and a gazzillion Leupolds... grin

I have to admit I am surprised...it all underscore what JB said....anything can break.. frown

No, just kidding-- the comment came just because you [/i] are [i] there in NH.

You know, I thought I'd try one of these again as I have most of the name brands out there since I spent too much time shooting as a yout (Joe Pesci accent) but I keep wandering why. Leup's have served well and repair/refurbish turn around has been somewhere under two weeks in my experience.

Originally Posted by BobinNH

This is depressing..... cry smile

Shucks - back to Irons.. smile
And even iron sights can break.
Murphy can always strike - no doubt.
I guess the great customer service is figured into the price of the S&B wink
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Nothing against S & B, but this is a bit of a negative when compared to Leupy...unless maybe you're BobinNH grin.

What kind of mounts/rings? Make sure to have at look at those as well. If something crapped out there, they'll take out every scope,seen it many times.

Well, the verdict is in; the scope has to go to Germany. I'm told to exoect a 3-month wait before it's on my door step again. Nothing against S&B but put that in your differential when evaluating scopes.
Ouch. Did they offer you a loaner scope in the interim?
The S&B fixed 4x36 is a well built scope indeed, but you must temper this with the fact that it is more than 50% heavier than the LEU fixed 4x33 scope. The physics of this marked increase in mass adds much stress to the scope during recoil. This is a major reason behind the well documented durability of the LEU 2.5x scope being that it is well constructed with such low mass.

Best smile
Originally Posted by GaryVA
The S&B fixed 4x36 is a well built scope indeed, but you must temper this with the fact that it is more than 50% heavier than the LEU fixed 4x33 scope. The physics of this marked increase in mass adds much stress to the scope during recoil. This is a major reason behind the well documented durability of the LEU 2.5x scope being that it is well constructed with such low mass.

Best smile

Yea, ..I know.
Originally Posted by bearguide
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

What kind of mounts/rings? Make sure to have at look at those as well. If something crapped out there, they'll take out every scope,seen it many times.

No problem: Talleys, lapped even.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Ouch. Did they offer you a loaner scope in the interim?

A loaner was mentioned but I had to kind of pull that out of them. Not like it was the first thing on their mind.
© 24hourcampfire