Home
Posted By: rrconductor Meopta vs Leupold - 06/27/11
Has anyone compred fixed power Meoptas to fixed Leupolds, specifically 6 or 8 power, I like fixed power scopes and hunt late evening, early morning, looking at both, but would appreciate input from ya'll.
Posted By: jagd Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
haven't put the fixed powers side by side but i did put a moopta meostar 3-12x56 next to a vx3 3-10x56.

During the daytime we could see but the meopta was just a smidge clearer, but when it got low light. quarter moon with cloud cover the meopta was an easy choice.

shortly after this i ordered myself a meopta, right before the prices spiked again. Prices will probably continue to go up as more and more people figure out how good they are.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
A little off topic but I just bought my first Zeiss. I don't like it near as well as my Leupolds.
i dunno what to think of that swamp.

these forums are so thouroghly soaked in sentament and sarcasm about lupy's that i have trouble telling the difference. lol

and another thing, I don't think meopta makes a fixed 8 power hunting scope. 7x56 and 6x42?
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
jagd,
You are correct Meopta does not make a fixed 8 power, just 6 and 7, I currently have one of each on order. It was a long time before anyone posted and I looked thru one locally and decided to order them. I prefer fixed over variable and there are very quality fixed left. I am not a fan of Leupold and never have been, but I will never bash them, what is good for one person is not always good for others. I was looking for a comparative opinion which you provided and I thank you for your response. I have located a used IOR 7 X56 locally and may pick it up as well for a future build.
with the meotpa 7x56 being down to $450 i've been thinking about picking one up myself.

did you order one illiminated?
Posted By: slowr1der Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
Originally Posted by Swampman700
A little off topic but I just bought my first Zeiss. I don't like it near as well as my Leupolds.
Anyone who takes your opinion seriously is a fool, so why even offer it?

That said, I've never looked through a Meopta so I can't compare it to a Leupold, but I can tell you the Zeiss Conquest is far superior to anything Leupold has ever put out.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
Originally Posted by slowr1der
Anyone who takes your opinion seriously is a fool, so why even offer it?

That said, I've never looked through a Meopta so I can't compare it to a Leupold, but I can tell you the Zeiss Conquest is far superior to anything Leupold has ever put out.

He said as much himself.

Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
I mounted a Meopta for a client. I was unimpressed. I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

I was using the Zeiss along side a Nikon Prostaff yesterday. I actually prefered the Prostaff.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
I find that very strange. First of all, there are no 56mm, VX3 Leupolds.
Second, I'm wondering how you focused the Leupold. You see, the difference between tested light transmition for Leupolds between twilight conditions and daylight conditions is very small. So, there must be another reason for the differences you saw. E
Posted By: bea175 Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
Giving the Choice i would take the High End Leupold over any Meopta. If you ever have to use the warranty you better hope you have a Leupold
Have you had issues with Meopta CS Bea?
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
Just got back from the range. Was shooting one of my guns with a Meopta. I would say it was neck and neck with my Kahles CL. Both blew the 3200 out of the water...
nope, just have had a great track record with Leupold and their warranty service
No question Leupold CS is great but Meopta's may be just as great or better could it not?
Yes it could, but just haven't been able to make myself buy one. Back in the early 70's i was a Redfield man and would use nothing else. I made the mistake of buying a Leupold and my life changed onced i used it. I sold all my Redfields and have been a follower of Leupold ever since the only scope i have now that i consider in the same league is the Zeiss Conquest and have four or five of them . I may try a Meopta in the future. I guess I'm just old school when it comes to really changing from Leupold to another brand
Nothing wrong with sticking with a known quantity which has served you well.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
Originally Posted by nsaqam
No question Leupold CS is great but Meopta's may be just as great or better could it not?

In Europe, Meopta actually has a better written warrenty now than the Big Three (15 years ~v~10 years)..

Over here Swarovski has without doubt got the best Customer service I have ever come across. Zeiss used to have a poor reputation for taking a long time to resolve things and charging for every little repair...That seems to have changed some what of late.

The customer service S&B and Meopta are some what unknown quantities as I haven't heard of anybody having to return one of their scopes.

S&B will ceratinly "customise" a scope and i have heard good reports of people having that done, but I can't think of anybody who's actually needed to send a S&B or Meopta in for repairs, although I am sure it does happen...

I probably have more than 20 Leupolds , not counting a number of Zeiss, Bushnell, 3200 and 4200, Pentax Lightseeker, the New Redfield, Burris, Trijjocon, Morovision MV-740 Night Scope. I have enough scopes to open a sporting goods optic store. Just don't have a Meopta yet.

Just give Meopta time to sell enough of them, anything Mechanical will break.
Originally Posted by bea175
I probably have more than 20 Leupolds , not counting a number of Zeiss, Bushnell, 3200 and 4200, Pentax Lightseeker, the New Redfield, Burris, Trijjocon, Morovision MV-740 Night Scope. I have enough scopes to open a sporting goods optic store. Just don't have a Meopta yet

I think the thing to realise about Meopta is they are not some johny-come-lately to the optics market and in many respects have a history and product base like Zeiss.

I think I read some where that they even built the optics used in submarine periscopes, along with medical optics, enlargers, projectors, plus assorted sporting and military optics.

They also supply glass, finished lens and complete units for other European opics company's "under contract". Zeiss's top end Spotters are supposedly made by Meopta for instance...
I don't dough for a second they are good scopes, but it is hard to change from a proven winner over the last forty plus years .
I almost forgot i have four or five Nikon scopes also
I almost forgot i have four or five Nikon scopes also

Forgive me, but your scope buying habits don't sound like sticking to a proven winner for 40 plus years! wink grin

Re Meopta, I like the ones I have have and think they represent good value for money.

That said, I am sure there are a dozen other brands that produce scopes equally good or better and which I would have been equally happy with..

If you are happy with your choice of scopes and they work for you, thats the important thing!

Happy 4th July!

Regards,

Peter
Yep i have branched out in the last few years, but Leupold is still my favorite as of today
Posted By: slowr1der Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
I mounted a Meopta for a client. I was unimpressed. I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

I was using the Zeiss along side a Nikon Prostaff yesterday. I actually prefered the Prostaff.
I will give you $100 for your Zeiss so that you can buy another Prostaff while they are on clearance from Cabela's if you'd like? I sold my Prostaff and while it was a solid reliable scope, the glass left a lot to be desired, and the turrets on the scope were just as bad.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11

Uh oh...the chinese are making counterfeit Zeiss scopes now.
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I find that very strange. First of all, there are no 56mm, VX3 Leupolds.
Second, I'm wondering how you focused the Leupold. You see, the difference between tested light transmition for Leupolds between twilight conditions and daylight conditions is very small. So, there must be another reason for the differences you saw. E

your funny E
This web page LEOPOULD.COM must be wrong then. Not to mention there are different options offered in germany than in the states due to the higher standards and different hunting conditions.
I'm counting five 56mm leopoulds on this page alone. Now I'm starting to think your not stubborn, you just don't know what your talking about.
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3l-riflescopes/vx-3l-3-5-10x56mm/
Originally Posted by jagd

your funny E
Now I'm starting to think your not stubborn, you just don't know what your talking about.

Ask E about Leupolds use of *real* crushed diamonds in their hard lens coating.... grin
Originally Posted by Pete E

your funny E
Now I'm starting to think your not stubborn, you just don't know what your talking about.

Ask E about Leupolds use of *real* crushed diamonds in their hard lens coating.... grin

This must be some fantastic new technology lol.

your funny E

E is actually a really nice guy but lets just say he gets "over enthusiastic" about Leupold and has been known to have a bit of a "man-crush" on one or two writers/posters on here! grin
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
Like JB said, he lacks objectivity.
Most top end scopes from all manufactures are good. My Nikons are the Monarch or the M223 series. I will purchase a Meopta and see how they compare to the others. They do have a good rating . Zeiss Conquest and Nikon Prostaff Scope , i just don't see the comparison between the two. Like comparing a Porsche to a Yugo
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
I'd bet if you could do a blind test....cover up the scope except for being able to view through it you'd not find a nickle's worth of difference between a Conquest, VX3, Meopta, Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch, Pentax Lightseeker, or a Burris Signature Select.

I do not understand for, the life of me, why Leupold doesn't have some sort of hydrophobic lens coatings on at least the VX3/FX3 series.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'd bet if you could do a blind test....cover up the scope except for being able to view through it you'd not find a nickle's worth of difference between a Conquest, VX3, Meopta, Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch, Pentax Lightseeker, or a Burris Signature Select.

I do not understand for, the life of me, why Leupold doesn't have some sort of hydrophobic lens coatings on at least the VX3/FX3 series.

I sure wouldn't bet against you on this.
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11

In daylight, I'd bet you're right.

your funny E

E is actually a really nice guy but lets just say he gets "over enthusiastic" about Leupold and has been known to have a bit of a "man-crush" on one or two writers/posters on here! grin

E also has a sense of humor. He's had all of us chasing the hook for years. Funny, I have more respect for him now than I ever have. He knows what he's doing. I think he starts every focusing post laughing his azz off, knowing he'll send a lot of us into a tail-spin. He's got a sense of humor and he's sly too. I'd like to meet him one day.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
Leupold is suckin hind tit on this one. No matter how good their warranty service is. There is just NO comparison. And with Leupolds high prices, I'd not give one a second look. While the Leupy may work well for some, my money will be spent on Meopta.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
grin grin grin

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Foxbat

I'd be willing to bet in all legal hunting light situations. For instance, last November we had a mule deer hunter with some sort of custom gun wearing a S&B Klassic 4-16x50 with that circle reticle (whatever you call it). Sweet rig, and great glass to say the least. My buddy had his 7STW with a VXII 3-9x40. He killed a 185 class buck at very, very last legal light. I had my buddy's gun beside me while watching the killing through the spotter. I could have killed that buck with the Leupy also, no problem at 300 yards. The S&B was a little brighter and somewhat sharper, but, surprisingly to my eyes not enough that I couldn't have killed that buck too.
[Linked Image  <br>
								</div>
	</div>
	<div class=
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
A lot of "poop" here.

1. First of all, asking someone else to judge an instrument on their eyes for your eyes doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

2. What is "good", what is "bright", what are all of those other subjective words?

3. What is "good" service?

4. Testing scopes objectively is like testing cold weather boots objectively. You don't wear one pair one day and one pair the next day and say which is warmer. You put one on one foot and one on the other foot. For scopes, you take one of each, and you look at things at the same time with both under identical conditions, at basically the same time, with the same eye, and then you will know.

5. As for service, who knows. The guy that claims he had a bunch of scopes fixed and had great service might be more patient than you. He might be harder on his scopes. Or, the scopes he was getting fixed might have been horseshit scopes.

Dave,

He's been trolling for years in the optics forum and we've been chasing the bait like a dog chases a car. Sly old fart.
Originally Posted by Foxbat

I'd be willing to bet in all legal hunting light situations. For instance, last November we had a mule deer hunter with some sort of custom gun wearing a S&B Klassic 4-16x50 with that circle reticle (whatever you call it). Sweet rig, and great glass to say the least. My buddy had his 7STW with a VXII 3-9x40. He killed a 185 class buck at very, very last legal light. I had my buddy's gun beside me while watching the killing through the spotter. I could have killed that buck with the Leupy also, no problem at 300 yards. The S&B was a little brighter and somewhat sharper, but, surprisingly to my eyes not enough that I couldn't have killed that buck too.

Well, we'd have to decide whether "a nickles worth of difference" equates to "I could have still killed it".

Where 7 different scopes at noon can leave someone scratching their head for a difference, may be a different story at 15 minutes after sundown. And while you may be able to kill something with any of them at that time, people pay a lot of money for subtle and maybe not so subtle, differences.
Right on Foxbat. Can't argue with that. I'm just one of those who believe brand bias talks us into believing what may or may not be there. I can honestly say I have zero brand bias or loyalty. Would you believe it if I told you that a very well respected, knowledgable, and veteran hunter, a guy who has tested dozens of hunting scopes over the years and lately, recently told me that a FX3 6x42 recently tested ever so slightly a notch below a Zeiss Diavari optically? True story. He tests them the exact same way every time.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Dave,

He's been trolling for years in the optics forum and we've been chasing the bait like a dog chases a car. Sly old fart.

I like him even if he's fishing. wink
Posted By: Ringman Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
Foxbat says,

Well, we'd have to decide whether "a nickles worth of difference" equates to "I could have still killed it".

Where 7 different scopes at noon can leave someone scratching their head for a difference, may be a different story at 15 minutes after sundown. And while you may be able to kill something with any of them at that time, people pay a lot of money for subtle and maybe not so subtle, differences.

Let me put a couple brands on that. No one can see any difference between my 6500 and my z5 during the day. But only a died in the wool Bushnell lover would tell us the 6500 is as good as the Swarovski when the sun goes down. There is just no comparison.

I worked out a simple solution for this problem. I put the Bushnell on a heavy varmint rifle that works only the day shift. The Swarovski goes on the hunter rifle.

Anyone else with brands they will tell us about?
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/04/11
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Dave,

I like him even if he's fishing. wink

Only problem is it's hard to take him seriously about anything else. I used to think that he offered up some good info on bino's but now I starting to wonder about those reviews. I guess that's the chance you take when you post nothing but foolishness.

Right on Foxbat. Can't argue with that. I'm just one of those who believe brand bias talks us into believing what may or may not be there. I can honestly say I have zero brand bias or loyalty. Would you believe it if I told you that a very well respected, knowledgable, and veteran hunter, a guy who has tested dozens of hunting scopes over the years and lately, recently told me that a FX3 6x42 recently tested ever so slightly a notch below a Zeiss Diavari optically? True story. He tests them the exact same way every time.

I'm the same way. I have no brand loyalty when it comes to optics. I have 6 different brands of binoculars and 6 different brands of scopes currently and have owned several other brands.

It doesn't hurt my feelings if one brand is better than another at low light, just means the better one is going on my rifles that I use at dusk and the other will be relegated to daylight service.

Originally Posted by RDFinn
Only problem is it's hard to take him seriously about anything else. I used to think that he offered up some good info on bino's but now I starting to wonder about those reviews. I guess that's the chance you take when you post nothing but foolishness.

While I think he's a lot smarter than his on-line persona, I'm not ready to send him an application to the Mensa Society either. I think he enjoys stirring the pot, and apparently, written abuse has little or no effect on him.
Posted By: Bwilliams1848 Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/05/11
I wonder how the new vx6 will compare to the Meopta.
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/05/11
I sure did open a can of worms with this post, bea175, I too was always a Denver Redfield man, I bought them rebuilt for pennies on the dollar with a lifetime warrenty from Gaines Chestnut when he was CEO at Redfield and I was a student at CST and remained loyal all the way to the late '80's.
There are other options now for me, Redfield is probably a very viable one as is Leupold, Kahles ,Swarovski and Leica the problem lies in the fact that i like fixed power and they are far and few now.
I am not bashing anyone's choice, all I did was ask for a comparison and I appreciate all replys and those that came today from a person in the form of a PM, albeit too late to do anything but boost my confidence in my decision to buy 2 Meoptas.
280 Ackleyrized had some good thing to say before the OP was made and I paid attention.
Every person has their preference as do I, but I have no brand loyalty anymore, I look for what fits my needs for the rifle I chose for the hunt.
I thank each and everyone that has responded to this post, and particulary Pete and 280 A.
Posted By: jagd Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/05/11
Originally Posted by Bwilliams1848
I wonder how the new vx6 will compare to the Meopta.

if the price isnt descent, i wont be compairing it to my meopta anyways
Posted By: kcTbear Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/05/11
http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-12x42-VX-6-30mm-Riflescope-P49441.aspx

Decent?
I'm interested in the meopta 3-12x56 for a 35 whelen cva apex and a browning a bolt 270. My only concern is whether the meopta will have enough eye relief for the 35 whelen. If I did buy a Meopta it would be the 4B, however I don't know anyone with that Reticle and it concerns me that it may be too busy to able to use. I've only used a leupy with standard duplex. Anyone have any experience with the 4b Reticle? Any advice on the eye relief?
Posted By: kcTbear Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/05/11
Bwilliams, I have the 50mm version and find no problem with eye relief. Your CVA might be light enough to offer a nice kick, especially with 250g, but I would believe that 3.5" is just about right. Mine has the #4 reticle, which the thick posts of the reticle come in very close to the duplex, which I prefer. The duplex is hair thin (actual subtensions are impossible to find on the 'net). I can't speak for the 4B though.
Also it looks as if the 56mm is a first focal plane scope which may negate all that I just stated smile
But, I really love mine, it's a pleasure to look through every time. Mechanically, I can find a fault.
Originally Posted by Bwilliams1848
I'm interested in the meopta 3-12x56 for a 35 whelen cva apex and a browning a bolt 270. My only concern is whether the meopta will have enough eye relief for the 35 whelen. If I did buy a Meopta it would be the 4B, however I don't know anyone with that Reticle and it concerns me that it may be too busy to able to use. I've only used a leupy with standard duplex. Anyone have any experience with the 4b Reticle? Any advice on the eye relief?

Long eye relief is no substitute for good shooting form.

I My buddy who purchased the meopta before me put it on a 9.3x62 steyr which is like a 35whelen on horse steroids. This is a fairly light rifle and neither he nor I had a problem with the scope catching us on the brow.

Can't comment on the 4b as my freinds and i have purchased 4C reticles which are great for hunting, not so great for the tightest group shooting due to the focal plane.

unfortunately we purchesed ours for 799, the price has gone up in many stores.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the VX6 supposed to be better than the vx3 and mk4 or just newer.(hopefully it is better at that price since the glass i've looked through has been overpriced) Even though I just spent a grand on a 40mm variable i can't say that i'll be in the market to do it again any time soon. I did it this time because of limited oppourtunity and nearly unanimous quality reviews.

it is kind of interestin, putting out a 6x mag variable to keep up with the 5 and 6 of other brands, but they did them all with 30mm tubes...interesting.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/05/11
I am not familiar with the 4C. I have a Meopro with a 4, and I like the bolder outer lines, but the inner lines are very thin, and I wonder if you would be able to see them in dim conditions.

Regarding eye relief, the Meopros have nice long eye relief, and I have read the Meostars had the eye relief extended recently.
4C
[Linked Image]

4B
[Linked Image]

4K is like 4C but the actual crosshairs light up in the center, not just a dot. cant find a goodsized pic of one right now.
Unless I'm mistaken the new VX6 is supposed to replace the VX7 line as leupy's top end scope.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/05/11
Be interested to see how things look through one at last light and in pre dawn hours. But I'd bet the 4-12x50mm Meopro will keep pace without breaking a sweat. And for about half the price. Leupold could become a viable option if they weren't so full of themselves. But like other product manufacturers, they are pricing themselves out of the market.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/06/11
Oh, I see. A VX3L is the same scope as a VX3. Even though the name is different.
You never did answer my questions of your focusing method or the fact that Leupolds test virtually as well under twilight conditions as they do in daylight.
Leupolds work fine at night or during twilight. Unless the operator does not know how to adjust them. E
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/06/11
Get over it E. Quit tryin to be a brand loyal Leupold kiss azz and actually crawl out from under your rock once in a while. I don't give a schitt how you focus it, the VX 3 sux hind tit to the Meoptas.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
I don't give a schitt how you focus it, the VX 3 sux hind tit to the Meoptas.

Haha, you speak the truth. Meopta is the best deal going in optics. Wish I would have discovered them sooner.
Posted By: cfran Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11
Oh, I see. A VX3L is the same scope as a VX3. Even though the name is different.
You never did answer my questions of your focusing method or the fact that Leupolds test virtually as well under twilight conditions as they do in daylight.
Leupolds work fine at night or during twilight. Unless the operator does not know how to adjust them. E

Please tell us how tweaking the focus ring brings out better twilight performance. If you can focus a Meopta you can do the same for a Leupold therefore your basis for a discrepancy is invalid. Please do as others have asked and try and be at the very least objective and opened minded. Leupold doesn't build the finest/brightest optic on the planet, good value, "yes", the best, "no".
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11

I would comment but I will hold my comments in reserve as to Leupolds. Do you want to sell the Zeiss?
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Be interested to see how things look through one at last light and in pre dawn hours. But I'd bet the 4-12x50mm Meopro will keep pace without breaking a sweat. And for about half the price. Leupold could become a viable option if they weren't so full of themselves. But like other product manufacturers, they are pricing themselves out of the market.

I know you are right , but what I ordered was the 7X 56 and the 6X42 and I am confident they will do what I want here in the South at low light.Still if Swampman wants to get rid of his Zeiss put it in classified and let's see.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11
Im sure with that 7x it will still look like noon when looking through it at midnight. I have never tried a fixed power scope before. I may have to try one some day. I tend to instead run a variable with a low end of 3 or 4 x and a high end of 12x. I just wish they made the 3-12 Meostar in a 50mm as well. The 56mm obj gets me a little farther away from the stock than I like being for consistant cheek weld.
Posted By: jagd Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11

you act like it's rocket science to focus a scope for maximum clarity. we were in the stand for hours, the more we fiddled with them, the better the meopta looked compaired to the lupy. If lupy priced closer to their scopes are worth, I'd be willing to buy one, but they don't so i wont. There are enough people out there willing to pay for a name that i don't have to put a dime down to try one out.

nock off about 40% of the price of most leupolds and thats where their price will match their performance. If they were worth every penny then they wouldnt have made the redfield line.
if they made a 4 or 5 by 56 meopta i would probably buy two lol. probably only cost about 400 bucks and it could be the baddest nachtjagd scope around.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11
Yes it could, but just haven't been able to make myself buy one. Back in the early 70's i was a Redfield man and would use nothing else. I made the mistake of buying a Leupold and my life changed onced i used it.

That brings back memories. My first centerfire rifle was a used Rem. 722 with a Redfield 3x9 purchased in about 1965. At the time I lived very close to the old Redfield plant in Denver, and I took it there to have the parallax adjusted. Later on a tip I tried a Leupold and, like you, became a convert. Mainly, my eyes just felt more comfortable looking through the Leupold. A bit subjective, like others have said.

I have had to use Leupold's warranty service more often that I would have liked to, but I won't belabor the point.

Paul
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11
If lupy priced closer to their scopes are worth, I'd be willing to buy one, but they don't so i wont. There are enough people out there willing to pay for a name that i don't have to put a dime down to try one out.

nock off about 40% of the price of most leupolds and thats where their price will match their performance. If they were worth every penny then they wouldnt have made the redfield line.

That's how Leupold is able to fix stuff for free even when it's the user's fault. Swaro probably does the same thing by charging more up front than they should.
I try not to compare leupold to sworo, more to nikon. apples to apples. This thread is realising that lupy and minox might not be the same fruit either lol.

which turns the wheels raider, why isnt nikon charging so much for their warranty? which is just about matching lupy's? Just an interesting thought you brought up.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11
The written warranties from nearly all the manufacturers are very similar.
It is in actual practice that Leupold excels by going above and beyond the verbiage of their warranty. They routinely replace and repair product which was clearly damaged by owner abuse.
This is a superb practice if you abuse your scopes but it is surely not without significant cost largely borne by the purchaser.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11
Right on Nsaqam. I believe Nikon's customer service to be hit or miss, a far cry from Leupold or Swaro. Nikon would probably be close to the bottom on my list of scopes or binocs.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11
I buy Leupold when size & weight are at a premium. When they aren't, I'm pretty sold on Conquest. The 3-9x40mm Conquest is a shockingly good scope for $400...

Hmm... thread idea...
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11
I am starting to take another look at Nikon. The earlier monarchs weren't very nice in my opinion, but the new ones with long eye relief, and available do it yourself target turrets have me thinking. Not impressed with the prostaff or buckmasters though.
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/07/11
I find Nikon, across the board, to be some of the most overpriced for quality, optics out there. That's not to imply that they don't make some good stuff, but it's seldom a value.

Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/08/11
If you can find instances where a conquest will fit your needs, you got to give the Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 a shot. It wont disappoint.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Meopta vs Leupold - 07/08/11
To like a Buckmaster, you gotta drive the 4-12x50. One resided on my Borden 280AI for a quite a few years. No complaints, No issues. The Monarch might get a second look from me if they made a 3-12x50 instead of the 42mm. But I dont think even the Monarch has a chance beside the Meopta.
© 24hourcampfire