Home
Went around and around about what scope mounts to get for my M70.

It came down the the known quantity of the Talley LW's or the unknown quantity of the S&K scopemounts.

I ended up ordering both.

Who's used the S&K's before and how'd you like them?

I really like the looks of the Conetrols I have on my 700 KS but wanted to try the S&K's since IMO the bases are even better looking than the Conetrol bases.

The Talley LW's are stupid strong and retard simple but they look like hell.

I'll likely list the loser in my little competition here on the classifieds.
Ken, I have a hunting partner in MT who uses them, they look great and are easier to set up than Conetrols, I'm sure you will be happy with them!
Here they are on my 1958 M70 300 H&H SG,( lower rifle) so far I'm liking them.
[Linked Image]
I have the S & K...and like them. I also have Conetrols(s).about 4-5 mounts..and like the S
&K better
I have yet to run a set.
But I have been over to the shop.
Met the guy and talked.Hes very knowledgeable and I found that they make scope mounts for just about everything.
Seems like a good guy to deal with.
First rate machinest.
Just waiting for the right project to try a set.

dave
I had a set on a nice '03 sorter - all steel and not the lightest (but a 50's vintage '03 sporter ain't gonna be a fly-weight no-how). My FIL has one of the scout mount setups on a Nagant anb it is a superior setup, very rugged...makes the B-square setup look like a booger.
Thanks guys.

I appreciate all the responses so far.

Handwerk, superb rifles there! I really like the looks of the projectionless rings whether they're Conetrol or S&K.
I have one set currently, on a LH M70, and will be getting another set for an upcoming LH M70 project. I really like them! A great combination of light weight, looks and strength.

After years of using Talley LWs, I doubt I'll ever buy another set. They are light... and that's about it.

Not the most up to date photo, the scope's now a VX3 2.5-8, but...
[Linked Image]
Sweet Wrongside!

Mine are going on a LH M70 too.

What stock is that?

I'm considering a McMillan Hunter's EDGE or the Bansner (High Tech Specialties) for mine.
Thanks! I like it a ton.

The stock is a McMillan Compact Hunter's EDGE. I like it enough that I have another one ready for the next project. That stock helps to keep the weight down around 7.4 pounds w/ sling, no rounds.
I just picked up a new set of the S&K Kontoured bases and rings for a lightweight M94 swede I'm having reworked. They're kinda spendy but they sure look nice.
Happy B'day LD!!

Mine should get here Thursday or Friday.

$73 for M70 bases and low rings.
I didn't even notice the cake. Those rings and bases, along with getting it drilled and tapped and the rear hump removed was my BD present to myself. I got the rings and bases thru Brownells and they were over $100. Sure look nice.
I've used all three systems (SKulptured bases & rings, Conetrol & Talley LWs) and I prefer either LWs or Conetrol. I presently have 4 rifles with LWs (another set is coming from Talley--they are drilling them for 8X40 base screws) 2 sets of Conetrol bases & rings and a single set of S&K bases and rings sitting on the bench for the present. The S&K bases/rings are not nearly as light as the LWs and IMO the S&K rings are not nearly as good looking as the Conetrol rings. Regardless which set up you choose, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Using them on CZ550 and Husqvarna 1640, like them a lot for skulpted look on those rifles, bit leaner to the eye. Like S&K for sorta traditional-looking rifles. Like the setscrew windage adj. for setup. Hunted the CZ last year, no issues (or deer). Using conetrol on a sako, think those bases would be nice on a M70, just not a fan of the kinda bubbly shaped rings. Haven't warmed up the LW's.

Put a set of S&K's on a friends Pre '64 Mod70 similar to handwerk's, except a two screw rear base. Scope slid back a skosh first range trip out, put a little rubber cement under rings; so far holding like a champ with no movement. 30-06 BTW

Rem Ti w/centered front base. Not as light as Talley's, but not heavy weights either.

[Linked Image]

Those are halfway between Talley LW and the Leupold DD.

Talleys typically go about 2 oz. per pair and the dual dovetails run 4 onces per pair, that's including bases.

This is for lows, btw, obviously medium or highs will weigh a tad more.

I have a set on my 30-06 and have had zero probelms.

[Linked Image]
Well I just got my package from Brownells containing both the S&K Kontoured bases and low rings and a set of Talley LW extended lows.
Put them on my scale and the S&K set weighs 3.2 oz. while the Talleys weigh 2.3 oz.

I'm going to install the S&K's and if they work the way I think they will then the Talleys will be sold here in the Classifieds.

I'll take some pics too.
I currently have 4 sets of S&K rings. Had issues with the scope sliding and stripped out one of the cone screws in the base of my first set bought 10 years ago. Haven't had any problems with the rest, bought in the last 5 years. They look nice and aren't nearly as much of a PITA to install as Conetrols. The polished Conetrols are nicer finished than the polished S&K's, but the matte finish on both is equivalent. I prefer the simplicity of the S&Ks.

They've always been very friendly and helpful to me over the phone. On one occasion, I couldn't decide if I needed medium or low rings, so they sent me both at the price of one set, allowing me to return whichever set I didn't use.

Pretty sure this is your Kimber Ted, no ?

[Linked Image]
The S&K's worked swell!

Here's some pics.

I know, I know, matte mounts and scope on a SS rifle but I'm just not a fan of silver scopes.

It looked like hell with the rear base reversed so I changed it up.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is a nice new stock I got on there to replace the beat up one that came with the rifle.
That rear base looks reversed ? I like the looks of those ss/wood Mod 70's.
So it is RD! grin

The other way it hung over the ejection port and I got a nice wide spacing between the rings this way.

Is there a technical reason for having the rear base the other way?

Sure, just keep rubbing it in......Slowly I will heal...
Hmmm, I may have to give them a try. I have a Minox Z3 in Talleys on a 700 that I can't slide far enough forward due to power ring interference. I'm a big, tall guy with a long neck and I crawl he stock something fierce. Kinda the anti-Jeff_O, scope mount wise.

[Linked Image]
Just take a file to it
Originally Posted by nsaqam

[Linked Image]

VERY nice! Those SS LH M70s are gold anymore...

Add a McMillan EDGE, grease the lugs and go! cool

Looks a really good combination. Had thought a 40mm obj conquest was gonna be too honkin' on a FWT, but was wrong.
I've used S&K for years on a Model Seven. They work great and look good.

Most of the weight is in the bases--with the small rear base on the Seven the whole ring+base combo weighs only 3 ounces.

Is there a technical reason for having the rear base the other way?....

Only if you have an aluminum bedding block in the stock...
Originally Posted by BradB
Just take a file to it

Thought about it, but I don't think I can get enough clearance.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

I have a set on my 30-06 and have had zero probelms.

[Linked Image]

HD
That is one simple,clean looking scope setup.
Nice.

dave

Thanks Dave.
I have S&K mounts on my Custom .300 RUM, as the original Gentry rings were damaged in shipping (vendor who did some work on the rifle shipped it back with the rings mounted, but no scope inside...and they smashed in transit). The S&K mounts were a free replacement.

Gentrys are still my first choice when I can find used ones, now that Gentry Custom hasn't produced rings/bases since Dave's passing. Conetrol and S&K have thus gotten some of my business.

IMHO, S&K's rings center nicely and are just as strong...but the bases could use a couple Gentry improvements, namely utilizing countersunk/tapered screw heads and further machining to lighten the bases. The flat, non-tapered heads don't automatically center the bases like Gentry's design, and the bases look obese compared to the sleekness of the Gentry bases.

I'll insert a Remington 700 base comparison below:

[Linked Image]

True, you can center the S&K with the non-tapered screws, particularly as the bases should mate well with the receiver when aligned and tight. It's just easier with the self-aligning Gentrys. Here's my first S&K base that wouldn't fit well, as inicated by the Locite mark. Try getting those exactly straight!

S&K provided a replacement.

[Linked Image]

Good luck!
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Is there a technical reason for having the rear base the other way?....

Only if you have an aluminum bedding block in the stock...

You must be quoting swampy... grin
NSA,

Are those the lows?

Nice rifle by the way.
Thanks, they are the lows.
I think I'm going to give them a try. Sure do look good. Let us know how she shoots.

JM
JM,

For whatever it's worth I've got S&K scope mounts on several rifles and am quite happy with them. I've got them on a M70 Fwt in 7mm-08, Mauser in 338-284 & have used them on an older BLR in 358 Winchester. No issues with any of the above.
Here's my contribution to the mix. Please enjoy!

Cooper 57M Custom Classic 22LR with VX3 1.5-6.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rear turned around the wrong way.

[Linked Image]

These are medium's and have since moved to lows.
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 M70 in 257 Roberts w/ VX3 2.5-8 that "BARELY" fit between the rings.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/Pre%2064%20M70%20257%20Roberts/7c5b4682.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/Pre%2064%20M70%20257%20Roberts/ed6dd30f.jpg[/img]

These are the mediums and have since gone to lows again.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/Pre%2064%20M70%20257%20Roberts/IMG_20101118_102614.jpg[/img]

I believe these are the lows which I need to get rust blued to better match the overall blueing of the rifle.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/Pre%2064%20M70%20257%20Roberts/IMG_20110328_084847.jpg[/img]

Alan
Those are all spectacular rifles Alan!
Thank you!
I have one set of rings and bases from gentry for a model seven in 350 Remington magnum and have never had any trouble with them , I have 30+ sets of the S &Ks on all the limbers and Remington 700s

I have never had any trouble with the scope slipping or loosing up under recoil, S & K rings and bases look great also and are very light !!!!!
Been using them for quite a long while on my 260Rem A-bolt. Absolutely love them. After a decade or so I retightened with a little loctite but they have never given me any trouble. Can't hardly feel them if holding the rings in your hand. Best looking things going in my book.

Glad to see others trying them out.
I have some on a Rem 700 .30-06. They're nice and light and have worked well for years on that rifle. I do recall that one time when I switched scopes, the POI changed when I tightened them down a bit more. But POI has held well since then.
Wow 13 years of resurrection?
Is Nsaqam still with us?
It's nice to see we can pull information from our past.

Nice looking mounts.
© 24hourcampfire