Home
Posted By: Jeff_O 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
What scopes from right now will be the classics, the K4 of our era?

What will our futuristic George Jetson hunter be sporting for optics on his rifle? For binocs?

Where will optics be built?

Can scopes get significantly better, or just cheaper?

What say you? (hi, Steelhead!)

Jeff, You bored or just can't go to sleep grin
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
Naw, just got back from playing tennis with a bud and his family, then venison tacos and nerf football at his place...

I suck ass at tennis, but it's still fun, and the rest was pure gold!
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
I imagine playing tennis with a nerf football is difficult.
Posted By: TC1 Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
Probably digital.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
....scopes will still be hard to focus
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Naw, just got back from playing tennis with a bud and his family, then venison tacos and nerf football at his place...

I suck ass at tennis, but it's still fun, and the rest was pure gold!

The only thing for certain, given we still exist in 30 years, is that you'll still be a flaming liberal piece of trash.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
If Jeff0bama's "messiah" Hussein has his way, we'll be lucky to be using atlatls.
Posted By: SKane Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
Ringman will likely be sporting something in a 100x.
I doubt I will be here, or too old and feeble to care!
I've already given my future homecare nurse instructions
Lol...

Ok, so what current scopes will be considered the classics of this era- the ones us old pharts (in 30 years) will be buying while telling the whippersnappers what nice scopes they were way back in 2011?

I'll go 3-9x40 Conquest (no surprise). There's one that will only get more respect as time goes by.

I think virtually all optics- Big 3 included- will be made in China in 30 years.

I expect there will be lots of scopes with rangefinders unobtrusively incorporated.

I expect the high zoom ratio trend to completely take over. Future Hunter Guy will be sporting a 1.5-15x42.
Here's a vision of the future:

Scope ranges to where the reticle is aimed.... then superimposes a lit reticle subtension onto the reticle, representing the necessary holdover.
Posted By: Calvin Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
I'll probably still be using my 6x42's and my 10x40 Zeiss Classics in 30 years. How hard is it to kill chit?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
If you still have any guns in 30 years(questionable),I agree the trend will be to more X's.....better glass and the optics will be built onto the rifles...not a seperate component.

There will be no dots,clicks,etc;it'll be controlled electronically as to distance, trajectory, etc.....

The entire shooting sequence will be transmitted to your wife on her I-Phone equivilent so she knows where you are and what you're doing. crazy

Hah! Good call Bob!

Optics incorporated into the rifle? Don't see that one. Though I will admit I was trying to imagine what scope MOUNTS might evolve towards.
Here's a vision of the future...former Amerikans, now slaves, will be making scopes for the Chinese, who will be hunting former liberals for sport, with the new higher-tech optics.
I bet Leupold will quit using diamonds to coat lenses, and will have switched to cubic zirconia.
America will be back in the scope-building business, eh? Can't say I see that!

But I can see the Minox approach being incorporated by Swaro, Leica, and Zeiss. Glass sourced in Europe, scope built in China.
Originally Posted by LongRanger280
Here's a vision of the future... hunting former liberals for sport.

Sounds GREAT! Damn! I'll be too old to participate!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
Jeff I bet the rifle/integral scope will at least be an option in some makes/brands.

I wasn't kidding about the wives..... grin
Posted By: abc Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
I still use my leopold vx 2 that my father purchased for me in 1971. That was the last year for over the counter mountain goat tags in Montana (the Bob Marshall). I am still using that scope, in 30 years I will be 90 and if I still am able to hunt that scope will be used. My father is 86 and killed a buck mule deer and an antelope within an hour of each other. I can only hope that I will be able to do the same.
The eyebox will be referred to as the E-conian Vision Chamber...
I predict that Eremicus and VarmintGuy will marry in a secluded Northern Californian Chapel and open a roadside Leupold concession stand...
And Roy and the Unabomber will genetically fuse and take that stand OUT! grin
And Steelhead will be croaking from his deathbed (19 year old Pall-Mall smoking tramp-stamped hottie at his side): "If you can't kill it with a Leupold 6x42, it ain't the scopes fault!"
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/22/11
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'll probably still be using my 6x42's and my 10x40 Zeiss Classics in 30 years. How hard is it to kill chit?

If you're Jeff0bama, it's harder than most would ever find it.
Posted By: Farmboy1 Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/23/11
30 years from now, the top names and optics will still rise to
the top.
Now what would be a real shame, if too many go for the cheap
Chinese clones, and the real makers and developers are not in
the market.

Remember that, if you have a budget to afford the good stuff.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/23/11
The asinine "my optics are better than yours" will still rage on. crazy

IF I'm still living I still won't want a scope with a reticle out of a submarine periscope that will enable me to shoot Aborigine midgets on the dark side of the moon!
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/23/11
Thirty years from now oldman1942 will have over 10,000 account names............. grin
Posted By: nsaqam Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/23/11
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Thirty years from now oldman1942 will have over 10,000 account names............. grin

laugh laugh laugh eek
TFF!!
And Ringman, will still recommend that Nikon Action Zoom !
Posted By: RHutch Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/23/11
Originally Posted by SKane
Ringman will likely be sporting something in a 100x.

For the WIN!!!! LMAO
Posted By: battue Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/23/11
30 years from now with money doubling every 9 years or so, a top end home grown Euro may cost $16,000. How does made in China sound now?

battue:

In 30 years, it will not matter much. I will be in the rocking
chair.
I am well set, with my optics. The Chinese copies will not be in
my plans, and I would not consider one. Unless they change things, some mfrs. have found it is difficult to obtain quality,
as they cut corners, and have the attitude of "it is good enough", even when it is not.
Posted By: battue Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/23/11
To you and I it will not matter, however the world is bigger than just us two, and yes things will change.

Remember, a long time ago the Brits wanted us in large part because we were cheap labor.
Posted By: jagd Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/23/11
Guns will be made of special plastic and the optics will be the size of a pack of gum integrated into the top of the rifle. Eye relief will be infinate as it will be digital. Auto rangefinding/bullet drop compensating. The magnification will likely be 1-30 with optional FOV. The scope will act as a HUD showing range, wind, score of the antlers, weight of the animal, and it will also scan and tell you if there are any people in the back drop as it will scan for their tracking device implanted in their arm. The scope will automatically upload the hunt video via wifi to your personal website. The optics will be made in afghanistan where they grind diamonds from the hindu kush mountains for their special coating for cheap labor.

Only the hierarchy rich will have these guns as the lower class will not be aloud to hunt or own firearms.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/23/11
And Steelhead will be croaking from his deathbed (19 year old Pall-Mall smoking tramp-stamped hottie at his side): "If you can't kill it with a Leupold 6x42, it ain't the scopes fault!"

Your granddaughter will be happy though.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/23/11
Lol... zing.

Posted By: dave7mm Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/23/11
I predict that Eremicus and VarmintGuy will marry in a secluded Northern Californian Chapel and open a roadside Leupold concession stand...

Thats funny right there.

dave
Posted By: barnold1 Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/23/11

Scope ranges to where the reticle is aimed.... then superimposes a lit reticle subtension onto the reticle, representing the necessary holdover.

Doesn't the burris scope with the reaper on the side already do this?
Posted By: gmsemel Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/24/11
Thirty years from now, I will be 86 and most certain dead long before that. My guess is that the coatings will be a lot better than they are now. As for costs, well with the way CNC and robotics are going, the scopes will be very good and affordable to buy and no I don't think it will be all made in China. The Junk that is made there now will still be the junk made there in 2041! I would like to think that there will be a return to scopes like the K-4 weaver steel tube good adjustments and long enough tube to mount on rifles with out bending over backwards. There will be guns and hunting and game to shoot. The Wolf thing will be seen for the stupidity that it was, the Elk and deer will be around. In 2041 they will take on 24 campfire about those old guys all of us and how good we had it with the sub standard junk we all sighted with and rifles we shot. And Us old guys will be calling the new guys then spoiled brats, listen to us in how it was. And the Sniper Page will be up to three million pages!
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/24/11
Originally Posted by barnold1

Doesn't the burris scope with the reaper on the side already do this?

Does it? blush

Didn't know that...
Yup, it does. But it doesn't automatically adjust the turrets for you, which it will (or do it electronically without mechanical turrets). wink
Originally Posted by dave7mm

Thats funny right there.

dave

I thought he was gonna say that after they marry, they'll have little baby Leupie offspring...
Posted By: High_Brass Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/24/11
30 years from now I'll be much more worried about having a place to hunt and whether or not I can retire than what my scopes are.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/25/11
Yeah, no kidding. I'll be in my mid-70's! eek
Posted By: battue Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/25/11
Yeah, no kidding. I'll be in my mid-70's! eek

KMA!!!! grin

Better yet, wait and Kiss My young 97year old azz!!!!
Posted By: MK257 Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/25/11
30 years from now, I'll see my early 50's hopefully, and Royal Blue will be the new Blaze Orange...grins

Oh..optics--Tasco will still be Junk grin
Posted By: Ringman Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/25/11
Big8,

The following is in reference to a Sightron, but Tasco is mentioned. HOw much expereicne have you had with Tasco?

Well, I had one on my Weatherby Vanguard .30-06. It worked well and held its position for over 10 years, never needing an adjustment.

One trip out deer hunting, my brother and I were looking at a herd of deer and he could see a set of fork horns on one of them. I could not see the horns through my Sightron. My brother was running $60 Tasco World Class. We switched guns and I could see the horns through his scope.
Posted By: MK257 Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/26/11
Enough experience to know that under much stress they squeal, and pop...crosshairs move, and they track like a toilet paper roll.

Not to mention I have seen better clarity through plastic lenses on a toy gun.

The first scope I ever used was a tasco mounted on my 30-30 marlin...what a piece of junk. One of the largest bucks I have ever seen(couldn't be seen) through the tasco, and missed me a shot oppertunity in the thick stuff. Sure, I had a lack of experience but Ill never forget that cloudy [bleep], and the fits I had trying to get it to track well.

My honest experience of course...
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 30 years from now...... - 07/26/11
I would guess the "classics" of today might be:

Bushnell 4200 3-9x for the budget conscious.
Leupie VX3 3.5-10 for the stone cold killers.
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x for the guys with eyes.

AND...the Leupie 6x42 for those in the know.
© 24hourcampfire