Home
I took notice of a redfield ad recently that proudly displayed the "Made in USA" in the ad and spoke proudly of it's state side manufacturing.

Huh?

Have they always been made in USA? I thought manufacturing for that company had gone overseas? Has it been brought back to the states? Or has it never left?

I try to buy Made in USA, how have I overlooked this?
Redfield returned to the USA manufacture when Leupold took over the brand name.
Silly me, I did a search on this after I posted the question here and I read that the redfield scopes are actually built in the Leupold factory.

Very cool.

I have looked at several of the Redfields and they, at least to my eye, appear to be very similar to the old Vari-X II Leupy with click adjustments added.

I plan on try one soon.
I plan to try some also, very good of leupold to pick up the name and build them here in the US.

Here's a 4-12x on a 222.

[Linked Image]
I've played with a 2x7 and it's a very decent scope. Great value for the money and they have a reputation of being tough, which is always good for a clumsy oaf like me! No doubt I'd get another, and probably will at some point.
Very good scopes. On par with vx 1-2... Oh, and that pic is priceless!!!!
2-7 on my 222...
[Linked Image]

another pair...
[Linked Image]

yet again..
[Linked Image]

3-9's.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

and the token 4-12
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2352-1.jpg[/img]

So you're telling me you're a fan...?

Lol!!

Nice!!

I have to think of an excuse for one. I don't think I'm "un-scoped" on anything though....

Wait.... maybe my 220 swift? I'll check when I get home tonight but I think I may have figured out an excuse to buy one.

the accu-range, or whatever it's called, is kind of addicting...
Might have to try 4-12 40mm accu range on the 220 swift.

Mine has the accu-range, or whatever it's called.
liking it so far?

Mine is a 3x9x40 duplex reticle, I really like it so far.

[Linked Image]
I purchased a bunch of fullfield II's back when they built them stateside and beat the drum for "Made in USA"

These redfields will pick up the slack for that burris torch I dropped several years back.

If it's basically a VX I with clicks, I'm gonna dig it.
Originally Posted by northern_dave

If it's basically a VX I with clicks, I'm gonna dig it.

It is...and you are... grin
No problems with it. Had a 3-9x also but it went with the rifle.
Used the accurange thinger to bust some small Christmas ornaments with Pat at 250 yards or so.
Just an FYI only the scopes are made in the US everything else is China like most of the Leupold stuff IE rangefinders and spotters.

I am not a basher I am a leupold guy but unless you go high end you get China
Yeah I assumed the binos & range cheaters were made elsewhere.

That's ok.

I'm just happy to have another USA option in rifle scopes. looks to be quite a value.

That's ok.

I'm just happy to have another USA option in rifle scopes. looks to be quite a value.

They are.

And the two new Leupold made Redfield scopes I have owed - a 2-7 and a 3-9 have worked very well. Tracked like champs and the optics compared very favorably with the VX2 scopes at twice the coin.
I sure like what I'm hearing.

Dave,

If you want to see more, go over to Midway USA and look at their customer reviews of the new Redfields.

Two things are evident-

1) there are a LOT of reviews for them . They have sold a bunch since Jan 2010.

2) Most of the reviews are 4 stars. The few complaints are mostly not due to inherent quality ,but are minor gripes like tube length for mounting etc.

If you compare the reviews to other $150 or less scopes on Midawy, they look pretty good.

Not seeing any turrets, though, on these pics.

Can they be installed?
Nope.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Used the accurange thinger to bust some small Christmas ornaments with Pat at 250 yards or so.

Best use ever for Christmas ornaments.

I have a 4-12x mounted on a .204 that is a pretty decent scope. I have another, and a 2-7x, waiting NIB for me to get of my lazy butt. And, maybe spend a little time at home, I suppose.
I ain't found any yet....
Dammit, my swift has a FFII 3-9 on it...

I did a big scope shuffle last year and couldn't remember how it all shook out.

sonofa...

Guess I need a new gun.

I have a 3-9x on my Swift and it ain't comin' off anytime soon....

The adjustments are perhaps the most accurate-for-price around. You can learn to use them like turrets, though they don't stick up far enough to impress some, uh, "high rise" people....
I had one of the 3-9x40's on my CZ 550 in 9.3x62 and it held zero through 250 rounds of 270gr Speer's at 2400fps. I was pleased with it for $150, switched it over to a 300WSM where it's been since. I'm really looking at the 4-12 for a 223 project I'm putting together.
+1 on the positive comments on the 2-7. I just picked up a LNIB one from a 'Fire member, and so far I'm quite impressed, seems to be a really good value.
Considering a 2-7X for a new 7x57. How do they compare optically with the Leupold Vari-X II?
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have a 3-9x on my Swift and it ain't comin' off anytime soon....

The adjustments are perhaps the most accurate-for-price around. You can learn to use them like turrets, though they don't stick up far enough to impress some, uh, "high rise" people....

My scope shuffle is your fault John!

I would probably have a scopeless 220 swift right now if I hadn't bought that vintage leupy from you for my 88. (that's working perfectly by the way)

I agree on the windage/elevation knobs too, I see they are external grip type. Pretty sweet.

Guess I just need a new rifle.

Guess I just need a new rifle.

I thought that was a constant for 'fire members?
I'm a little embarassed to admit I have run a little dry on new excuses to purchase.

So, we got this Redfield scope thing here, and the fact that I STILL don't own a remington 700.

I'm currently without a .243

I don't have a .204, no centerfire .17, got a hankerin for a hornet...

I guess I have all kinds of excuses.

That's ok.

Just remember, Honda ATVs also say "Made in USA" on them, though most of the parts with "made in" on them say Japan. Not saying the scopes aren't actually muchly USA stuff, but you never know.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer

A man could always tape a penny to the stock for quick field adjustments.
No need

[Linked Image]
Cant help on the Vari-x.But I have held the 2-7 Redfield and the 2-7 VX I in one hand going from one to the other and I cant see a difference.
Originally Posted by Tony
Considering a 2-7X for a new 7x57. How do they compare optically with the Leupold Vari-X II?
Dave,

Here is your recipe-

Marlin XS7 in .243
Redfield 3-9x40mm
Talley Lightweight lows.

If you buy it all right- about $500 plus tax.

A nice US made package.

If you want to go "uptown", get a Rem 700 SPS. for about $150 more
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

That's ok.

Just remember, Honda ATVs also say "Made in USA" on them, though most of the parts with "made in" on them say Japan. Not saying the scopes aren't actually muchly USA stuff, but you never know.
True dat BUT, parts for Honda atv's made in Japan are of good quality, just sayin......... wink
This will do just about anything you want to do in Texas.
Originally Posted by jim62
Dave,

Here is your recipe-

Marlin XS7 in .243
Redfield 3-9x40mm
Talley Lightweight lows.

If you buy it all right- about $500 plus tax.

A nice US made package.

If you want to go "uptown", get a Rem 700 SPS. for about $150 more
Dave don't live in Texas.....grin
Trew dat, lol!

And Dave dont do plastic if he can help it.

I'll have a look see at these recomendations though.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Here's a 4-12x on a 222.

[Linked Image]

Look'n mighty festive, and - what's that word - uhh, you know, all happy and joyful - oh yah, gay! laugh
Trew dat, lol!

And Dave dont do plastic if he can help it.

I'll have a look see at these recomendations though.

Awright Mr Schmarty pants..

Add $100 extra and get a fully finished US made Boyd's wood stock to put on the Marlin! wink They make several styles in several types /colors of wood.

I think forest camo laminate would look cool. They make walnut too, though.
I put a 2-7 on this 35 REM Marlin 336 last year, it has the Accurange reticle - I like the sight picture with that reticle.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire