Home
I found some on a closeout list at a supplier and was thinking of picking it up for a buddies gun. Looks like they list for about $60. Just curious of the aluminum holds up ok...they are going on a 300wsm. Any input?? thanks
Mounted one on a buddy's Tikka T3 Lite IIRC. Do remember it went on slick, looked a little strange but you could get used to it. Guess the picatinnies are thinner on the bridge going across the action and it looked a little blocky.

But if the Talley aluminum lightweights hold up, and they do on my 338RUM, 300RUM and 30-06, then the Dednutz should not have a problem.
They are very good and solid, go ahead with them. There have
been quite a few posts on these over the past year or so, and
I have not seen one negative. I like mine.
Originally Posted by kraky111
I found some on a closeout list at a supplier and was thinking of picking it up for a buddies gun. Looks like they list for about $60. Just curious of the aluminum holds up ok...they are going on a 300wsm. Any input?? thanks

My main concern with any alloy mounts is the threads in screw holes..As screws are typically steel, if you over tighten, you will strip the thread in the mount and basically bugger it up..

Originally Posted by Pete E

My main concern with any alloy mounts is the threads in screw holes..As screws are typically steel, if you over tighten, you will strip the thread in the mount and basically bugger it up..
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not sure about what you mean, the screws are steel, and so is the receiver, if the mount is alloy, it makes
no difference. Nothing to bugger up.

I don't think you'd have threads in the mount? I can't visualize this happening...but maybe can visualize the metal screws working on the aluminum it's anchoring.
I don't think you'd have threads in the mount? I can't visualize this happening...but maybe can visualize the metal screws working on the aluminum it's anchoring.

You are correct.
You have threads in the rings, no?

Also, in other designs (specifically not the dednutz as they are "one piece") you can also have threads where the rings fix to the bases..
Yes, they have threads in the rings, but long and well done.
So, unless you are a gorilla, and don't know what you are doing
these will work well. Allen head, and they do not leave ring
marks.
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
Yes, they have threads in the rings, but long and well done.
So, unless you are a gorilla, and don't know what you are doing
these will work well. Allen head, and they do not leave ring
marks.

Any issues would definitely be down to "user error", but its just something to be aware of, particularly with Alloy mounts.

Optic-loc's used to specify screws which were softer than the steel in their mounts to avoid this problem..

The result was lots of people complaining the threads on the screws stripped too easy, but I guess at least that was a relatively cheap/easy fix, although still a PITA...Proves no system is perfect though...
I use them on my Ruger 10/22. I kinda like the way they look on that rifle and they work very well. My brother in law has one on his single shot 35 whelen. So far it's been flawless too.
I had them om my Rem. CDL SF 300wsm I sold..had a 4.5-14 by 50 zeiss mounted and over the year I had the gun never had any problems with scope shift or loss of zero.. I liked them.YMMV
Pete, I have a Dednutz mount and if you follow the directions there's no worries. The mount comes with an angle torx key.
I have talley light weights on several rifles, no issue with the aluminum. I believe the dednutz are a one piece? Not a fan.
DNZ and Talley Lightweights are all I'll use anymore. I think the Talley's look a little better, but believe the DNZ will hold up to more abuse. Got the DNZ on a 7mm Rem mag with no issues.

Not normally a fan of 1 piece either, but the rail between front and rear rings is fairly narrow and offset to leave more room over the ejection port than most 1 piece moounts.
Form follows function.

TC
Thanks for all the responses. Not worried about the screws around the scope ring.....sounds like bases are holding up good. Should be a good value for the $$
I have DNZ on my BLR and have been happy with them so far.

Dan
I have DNZ on two T/C encore barrels (7-08 and 45-70). Easiest mounts to install very solid. No problems at all.
I have a one piece DNZ on a long action M70 fwt

I like the mount, I've not seen them retail for more than $50 around here though.

The DNZs are one of the ugliest ring mounts made in my opinion.
Originally Posted by Pete E

Pete I can assure you that if one were to have purchased both dednutz and talley lightweights that the difference between both is night and day. One mount system cannot be made anymore robust . Machining quality,materials is at a different level. I have had/have 4 sets of them and have never had problem one with them. Once the scope is installed it is there to stay and they have superb customer service as well.

Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

+1

I just put a set of Talley Lightweights on a Rem 700 and I'm very pleased. On the other hand the Deadnuts look heavier-duty, kinda like tactical stuff.
If you use a torque driver with the correct inch/lp of 15 for #6 or 25 fir #8screws you will not bugger up any mounts! If you are prone to "farmer" tight, let someone else do it!!!
I wish they sold talley lightweights here in my town. My biggest problem is I dont want to order something, pay shipping and wait a week. I want to go down to the store and get the mounts. So I have started using the Remington One piece ring/bases. I have 3 or 4 DNZ mounts and all have functioned just fine.
I have a DNZ Gamereaper on my Tikka T3 Lite. Love it, highly recommend it and prefer it over the Talley LW's.

Josh
You know what they say about....opinions".....".they are like certain parts of are bodies and everyone has one. I like them you don't. Oh well.......happy holidays

But they work well, I love mine....
Originally Posted by JMR40
DNZ and Talley Lightweights are all I'll use anymore. I think the Talley's look a little better, but believe the DNZ will hold up to more abuse. Got the DNZ on a 7mm Rem mag with no issues.

Not normally a fan of 1 piece either, but the rail between front and rear rings is fairly narrow and offset to leave more room over the ejection port than most 1 piece moounts.

+1 - These two systems are well done and robust....
I've used them and they're very sturdy and functional......no problems. Most complaints are about aesthetics.
I have them on a couple of my guns. They are nice solid mounts.
© 24hourcampfire