Home
Posted By: Steven60 Good scope for Savage 220? - 12/17/11
(rifle barreled slug gun) Just now I've got a decent red dot on it because I don't get long shots, but need a good scope because 1) I have older eyes and 2) need to select the best ammunition for it.

I was leaning toward the Nikon 200 BDC variable, but noted that a lot of folks don't like the "cluttered" reticle. I also have a Weaver K3-F that I can try on it (just haven't gotten around to it yet)
Thanks!

Have a 3-9X40 Conquest on mine and love it.
Posted By: djb Re: Good scope for Savage 220? - 12/17/11
I dislike the clutter reticles.

I have a VX1 2-7 on mine with double Weaver extension bases � I love the compact 2-7X33�s. The action is long and you need either extended bases or a long scope. I honestly am not really happy with the brightness of the VX1 compared to my VXII�s that are mounted on other rifles but it is a solid scope. The VXII are on close out many places including Cabela�s. A fixed 4X would probably be ideal also, as my scopes seem to never come off of 2X except at the bench.
Posted By: prm Re: Good scope for Savage 220? - 12/17/11
I don't see ballistic reticles as cluttered. I see them as giving me more information. Still easy enough to use the main cross in the reticle.
Just personal preference. Some people vote Democrat too grin

I have switched to turrets if I need to take a longer shot.
Posted By: prm Re: Good scope for Savage 220? - 12/17/11
Originally Posted by djb
Just personal preference. Some people vote Democrat too grin

Them's feudin' words! grin

Agree on the personal preference.
Then again this is the optic forum so "I'm right and everyone else is full of crap!" grin

Here's a link to my goofey set up. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...vage_220F_finally_shooting_w#Post5841139
On a shotgun? If I had to hunt deer or any big game with a shotgun, I wouldn't get a scope over 4X perferably under 4X. How far does a shotgun shoot slugs well?
Posted By: pointer Re: Good scope for Savage 220? - 12/17/11
I have a Leupold M8 4X on my slug gun and the only thing I want to change is to replace the regular duplex with a heavy duplex.

But, I'm thinking that a VX-R 1.25-4X20 with the Firedot 4 or Firedot circle reticle would be sweet as well.
http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-1-25-4x20mm/
A little thread drift: I haven't found (a) good resource(s) for instructions and recommendations for reloading 20 gauge sabot-type slugs. Any of you folks shooting the Savage 220 (and getting pleasing groups) for less than $3 per shot with reloads?
I also use a 3-9x40 Conquest on mine and think it is perfect.
© 24hourcampfire