Home
Very impressed so far with the outer appearance of my new Leupold VX-2, 3-9x40mm, Matte, German #4.

Noticeable differences,
The reticle is different from the older Leupold #4. This is more inline with what I've seen from Zeiss. (Excuse the smudges & specks in the poor photo, it's a cheap 3 year old cell phone. The glass in the scope is clear and clean, my cell phone lenses is nasty as baboon poontane)

[Linked Image]

The dials are finger adjustable, very firm clicks (1cm @ 100 yards per click);

[Linked Image]

No Leupold rug with this one but did come with rubber scope bikini covers;

[Linked Image]

The writing of Leupold VX-2 is not in the Gold Ring any longer but on the bottom of the scope near the adjustments.

Gone is the lock ring for the eye piece adjustment and in it's place is a much more smooth and seeming tight adjustment + to - like that of a binocular, but much more firm to turn (assuming to hold it's place under use and recoil).

Extremely clear. I compared it to my one year old VX-3 3.5-10x40mm and it's on par neck to neck so far. Will check again as the light fades outside.
Nice piece of glass. That'd do for all the hunting I do.
Does the #4 have a smaller area between the posts?
Did you have to order through the custom shop to get the #4?

thanks.
Looks like it is a standard option:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-2-Riflescope-P51798.aspx

More I look, lots of options on the VX2 out of the box....

Interesting how they put mil adjustments instead of moa on the one's with the German #4. Wonder if it's retrofitted with M1/CDS if it'd still be or if it'd be in moa?
d2d

that scope cant handle the 338-06!!!!
Can you show a pic of the power ring tab by chance? Nice scope - love #4s....wish they had a 2-7 model in that reticle.
VX-2 3-9x40. Could get a pic from the top if you want.

Edit: to the OP, I like that reticle. That would stand out in any reasonable situation.

[Linked Image]
Yeah I heard via leupold they raised it up vs. the older model
Originally Posted by prm

Edit: to the OP, I like that reticle. That would stand out in any reasonable situation.

Looks like a flip-up scope cap might hit the lockring? Also, is the power ring easy to turn?

thanks.
Originally Posted by SAKO75
d2d

that scope cant handle the 338-06!!!!

7mm-08
What is the length of the ocular, from the front of the power ring?
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by prm

Looks like a flip-up scope cap might hit the lockring? Also, is the power ring easy to turn?

thanks.

There is no lock ring. It's reasonably stiff to turn. I wish it were a bit stiffer though.
Originally Posted by btaylor

3.12" if I understood correctly. Forward edge of power ring to rear of scope.
I have one of these with a duplex reticle and like everything about the new VX 2 better except the European style fast focus eyepiece with no lock-ring, I thought the old system was much better, I know it was much more secure..............Hb
I| never was a fan of the lock ring or the standard Duplex. I also thought the heavy was too heavy.

That german #4 I like.
My only concern, and a VERY minor one, is that the ocular can turn. It's really not that sensitive though so it wouldn't matter if it turned half way or something.
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by btaylor

3.12" if I understood correctly. Forward edge of power ring to rear of scope.

That's what I was looking for...Thank you!
Originally Posted by martinbns
I| never was a fan of the lock ring or the standard Duplex. I also thought the heavy was too heavy.

That german #4 I like.
I'm not a fan of the German #4 reticle, I don't think it's very popular but it must have a market as some do like it, I agree on the heavy duplex reticle I'm not a fan either, I guess to each his own.............Hb
Best standard Leupold reticle I've seen, should serve you very well. I might have to try one in the future.
I like the Leupold standard Duplex reticle fine but my favorite Leupold reticle is the wide duplex, I think I may be in the minority here though............Hb
I'm one who can't think of a reason to want the wide duplex.
As I said before to each his own..............Hb
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm one who can't think of a reason to want the wide duplex.

I have one on a 6x36. I don't hate it as much as I thought I would. That doesn't mean I like it. I think it's going to head to Beaverton for a new reticle, one of my trips home.
With the thick bar spacing so wide, it could just as well be a straight crosshair.
© 24hourcampfire