Home
Posted By: barm Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 06/28/12
Has anyone tried or looked through the Weaver V3 1-3x20? In terms of resolution and tracking, how would you rate it? What did you like and dislike about it?
Very good resolution and tracking from my experience. Eye relief could be better and you sometimes get the tunnel effect when looking through. Overall they are a good value for the money though.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 06/28/12
Thinking of getting one for a 10/22.

John
I've had one on a turkey gun for years. Optics are good, eye relief is great.
I have a Marlin 1897 Cowboy in .22LR. My eyes being what they are I wanted to get a low power straight tubed scope for it...just thought it would look more appropriate. I bought the Weaver V 1-3x20 and it's been an excellent scope!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 06/28/12
I bought one a few years ago and it's a keeper. Perfect for a short bbl carbine.

Almost all of my other scopes are Leupold, so that's saying a lot for the Weaver.

[quote=Richdeerhunter eye relief is great. [/quote]

Compared to what?
Posted By: barm Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 06/28/12
TnBigBore and Richdeerhunter,

I have seen the eye relief listed as 3.13 and 4.13 which do you think is accurate.
Posted By: barm Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 06/28/12
frogman43 and SuperCub,

I plan to put it on my 250 Savage which I will be carrying alot.
Posted By: Ward Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 06/28/12
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Very good resolution and tracking from my experience. Eye relief could be better and you sometimes get the tunnel effect when looking through. Overall they are a good value for the money though.

I have two of the V3's and TnBigBore nailed the analysis. At 1X there's a tunnel effect. At 3X I don't see the tunnel effect. Tracking is good and I've had these scopes on a .350 Model 600 in the past (regretfully sold the rifle to pay my divorce lawyer) and eye relief was a tad short for that kicker. The scopes are now on Marlin 1894's - a .357 and a .44 and they're nearly perfect on those little rifles.
Posted By: barm Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 06/29/12
Thank you, Ward.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 06/29/12
I think I've currently got 4 of them mounted on rifles so it's obvious I like them. For relatively short range shots on short, nimble rifles, I like them as good as anything out there.

I have one on order for a Marlin 336 in 35 rem . Nice combination of compactness and optical quality.
I have one on a 16" Marlin 30-30.

It is about ideal for a rifle of its size. I usually just keep mine set on 3x and leave it alone. Nice sight picture and nice glass. It is a good little scope overall.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice LTS there. You don't see those every day.
Posted By: barm Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 06/29/12
Thanks guys, I just ordered one to give it a try.
Thanks from me too. I've been considering getting one or two of these scopes as well. Sounds like I'll be taking the plunge on it sooner rather than later.
Cheers,
Aussielad.
Originally Posted by AussieLad
Thanks from me too. I've been considering getting one or two of these scopes as well. Sounds like I'll be taking the plunge on it sooner rather than later.
Cheers,
Aussielad.

Nice!

Need the specs.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by AussieLad
Cheers,
Aussielad.

Nice!

Need the specs.

DF

Huh?

Hey DF, I guess you're referring to my sig line pic.
It's a Sauer 202. Got a 9.3x62 barrel on it, and also a 270win barrel (please don't judge me too harshly on that one grin)

Cheers.
Posted By: erich Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 06/29/12
I put one on my 25-204 for a hunt in WI and it worked well for me. I moved it to a Rem 760 in 35 Rem and have anothe on a Maelin 1894 CL in 218 Bee for hunting preds. in close cover.

[Linked Image]
Super nice, and that is what I was referring to.

Just built a 9.3 on an FN Mauser 98, using a #3 Shilen, cut to 22".

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6634130/3

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6535867/1

Nice caliber, nice gun.

.270's are OK, although I don't use one.

If Ingwe didn't have to perpetually justify his 7x57's, he'd be out looking for a good .270... laugh

Like they say, a Baptist deacon will NEVER speak to you in a liquor store... shocked

DF
To me, the eye relief on my turkey gun (Win M1300 22" barrel) is critical because 12 ga 3" 2 oz turkey loads generate some serious recoil.
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Nice LTS there. You don't see those every day.

Thanks,

I had been looking for a short barreled gun and found this guy. I did not realize how uncommon it was until I picked it up and was informed of it. It is a handy little thing. I really need to shoot it more than I do.
Posted By: bludog Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 06/30/12
I have one and think they are a very good value - currently have it on my wife's slug gun for hunting on her family farm in Illinois. You can look through it on 1x with both eyes open and quickly acquire your target. Great scope for a woods stand. Have had no issues with eye relief.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 07/01/12
I just ordered one of these less than an hour ago. I picked up another Cz 527 in 7.62x39 yesterday. I figure that it will clear the rear sight with plenty of room to spare.
Posted By: kraky111 Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 07/02/12
Ive got 2.....very nice at just 9 ozs. One thing not mentioned is they are nice and short which makes one handed carry of the gun at the midpoint easier.

So perfect on a lever action or my 308 bar compact
Posted By: colodog Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 07/02/12
I have one on the Marlin 1895XLR 45-70.
I tried iron sights and peep sights but in the thick stuff they just didn't work for me.
This one does!
It's small, light and handles my reload recoil very well.
The Leupold 4x got moved to a 35 Whelan.
Mine is on a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem and I love it. I usually just leave mine on 3x also.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Seafire Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 07/08/12
Several years ago, I put one in the classifieds...

I had 3 solid offers on it when I checked back in like 30 minutes... and then I had about 5 or 6 other guys who wanted to be on standby....

so evidently they were well thought of by those guys...

I replaced it with a 1.5 x 4.5 Shotgun turkey scope...

optics were not up to the quality of the Weaver, but it fit my needs more than the Weaver... the only real reason I traded it off...
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 07/16/12
Got the scope mounted today. Below 2x there is a lot of "fish eye" effect. At 3x all is ok.

Perfect fit for the Cz 527 carbine 7.62x39.
Posted By: Ready Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 07/16/12
Sorry to hear that - I never noticed on mine. Sure - at 1x one sees some...

Anyway - I hope, it does not lessen your fun with it.

Would you post some pictures of your rifle?
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Mine is on a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem and I love it. I usually just leave mine on 3x also.

[Linked Image]

I just mounted a brand new one on My 336 in 35 carbine..I have to say it is a hell of a compact, lightweight scope with really good glass.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 07/16/12
camera is in the truck, raining like a mutha' right now.
I get one later.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 07/17/12
Here you go, cmg'

[Linked Image]
FYI

Available as of yesterday for $120 at Natchez with a free ship code as well. Well, the Claddic 1-3x20 at least...

Time flies. Lol
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Time flies. Lol

You ain't kiddin'! cmg aint even around anymore! laugh

FC
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Time flies. Lol

You ain't kiddin'! cmg aint even around anymore! laugh

FC

Heck, I can't recall if I have tried one of these or not. 8.5 ounces, I think I have a place for it.
Short eye relief is what kept me from trying this scope out. The Weaver Classic V 2.5-7x32 is the best scope of the Classic V's in my opinion.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 04/30/19
It’s a great scope. Not sure what the complaints about eye relief are about. I’ve used one on a 45-70 and a 9.3x62 and never had any problems even with the hottest loads. Definitely the best scope in that range for the money that is out there.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 04/30/19
I like this scope. I've used it on .308's and similar cartridges, and for a low power scope at a good price it's hard to beat.
Posted By: barm Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 04/30/19
FYI

Available as of yesterday for $120 at Natchez with a free ship code as well. Well, the Claddic 1-3x20 at least...

Time flies. Lol

I saw that. They also have the 3-9x32 AO on sale for $169 and I got one of those coming my way.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It’s a great scope. Not sure what the complaints about eye relief are about. I’ve used one on a 45-70 and a 9.3x62 and never had any problems even with the hottest loads. Definitely the best scope in that range for the money that is out there.

Some people want more than 3.1" of eye relief. Good if it works for you. The 2.5-7 has 3.5" - 4.5" of eye relief. It's good to have choices.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Some people want more than 3.1" of eye relief. Good if it works for you. The 2.5-7 has 3.5" - 4.5" of eye relief. It's good to have choices.

Listed as 4.13"

We'll SEE....

Listed as 4.13"

We'll SEE....

Interesting. I just checked and Weaver is showing 4.13" on their website too. That is absolutely changed from what they used to list it at. That is generous eye relief. And they have also changed their listed eye relief for the 2.5-7 to 3.15" from what it used to be listed at. Here's a snapshot from their 2009 Catalog:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: blairvt Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 04/30/19
have one on a Savage 99 in 358. No complaints
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 04/30/19

have one.......on a Marlin 44 SS.........

wow......just ordered another for $120 shipping..........

smokin deal !
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 04/30/19
Short eye relief is what kept me from trying this scope out. The Weaver Classic V 2.5-7x32 is the best scope of the Classic V's in my opinion.

x2, love me some weaver classic V7
Interesting. Still the same part number... Previously there was a 49903 gloss unit. Typo?.

Critical eyebox is most concerning to me. If friendly, I'll like it. If not, we'll SEE it in the classifieds. LOL
Interesting. Still the same part number...

Exactly. The same product number for the 2-7 also.

Previously there was a 49903 gloss unit. Typo?.

No idea. Hope you post back with a review when you get the chance.
Posted By: erich Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 05/01/19
As far as the fisheye on low power, it is kind of hit and miss, I have one with zero fisheye on 1x and another with just a slight bit on the periphery of the image, I did send one back that was worse.

I have used them on a number of guns over the years. The smaller ocular housing makes them work well on small Sako and CZ bolt actions. And they work well on combo guns mounting low enough to be able to use them on flying and running game with the shotgun barrel.

combo gun in 12ga/5.6x50R Mag Weaver V-3

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 05/10/19

got mine today......$120 shipped

matte finish.......made in Japan........duplex

helluva 1-3x20 scope for the $$$$
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 05/10/19
Good luck with it.........

In the past 10 years or so, I've sent Weaver back two V10's.........a 6-20 Grand Slam (which needs to go back AGAIN)...........and two of their $250 red/green dot sights.

I'm done with their junk.

Originally Posted by tikkanut

got mine today......$120 shipped

matte finish.......made in Japan........duplex

helluva 1-3x20 scope for the $$$$

Any assessment on the eye relief? Eyebox is okay. MIght put it on my 336.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20 opinions - 05/12/19

May use it on my new to me '71 336 Marlin.......35 Rem

squeezed it in the safe for now......

that way I know where I put it............... grin
I traded one off a few years back, though it’d be a good turkey scope or decent for still hunting cover on a rifle. I couldn’t see the reticle very good at first and last light, I could care less how a low power scope tracks, as long as it holds zero, has a good eye box, and the reticle is fast and bold. I didn’t feel as good about the reticle and eye box, but it’d still be a decent turkey scope.

It’s more $, but a VX2 1-4 with a #1 or heavy duplex is a better package, IMO.
© 24hourcampfire