Home
i picked up 3 like new lyman 20x all american scopes today. the scopes came with a letter from wally siebert who i understand was the expert on boosting the power on these scopes. the letter states that the power was boosted on one of the lymans to 32x in 1994. my problem is the power level on all 3 scopes seems the same to me. i can not tell any differents in the 3 of them. is there a way i can tell what power they are???

its my understanding that wally just passed away in may of this year.
Yup, easy. Clamp all three in V blocks side by side. Add a fourth scope of known power (20X if possible) in a fourth set of V blocks next to the first three.
Set up a large target made up of 1" grids blocks at 100 yards. Look through all four. Any difference as large as 12X should jump out at you. On the assumption that all 3 Lymans started with the same FOV, some simple math and grid sqare counting should allow you to calculate the power of the modified scope.

These were good scopes in their day, almost as good as Unertls BUT no match for a current fixed power Nightforce of today.

You might want to talk with TK Lee optics as they do excellent work,
Originally Posted by twister999
Yup, easy. Clamp all three in V blocks side by side. Add a fourth scope of known power (20X if possible) in a fourth set of V blocks next to the first three.
Set up a large target made up of 1" grids blocks at 100 yards. Look through all four. Any difference as large as 12X should jump out at you. On the assumption that all 3 Lymans started with the same FOV, some simple math and grid sqare counting should allow you to calculate the power of the modified scope.

These were good scopes in their day, almost as good as Unertls BUT no match for a current fixed power Nightforce of today.

You might want to talk with TK Lee optics as they do excellent work,

I gotta get out more, didnt know Nightforce made a Fixed Power Riflescope.

Gunner
Oops, you are correct, I didn't open the safe and look at the scopes. I said Nightforce but I should have said this one.

http://www.valdada.com/scopes/benchrest-competition-scope/36x42-30mm-sf-benchrest-competition-scope

Anyway, the method will work regardless of my terrible error of not looking at my Nightforces and IORs. Probably means I own too many of each.

Heck you even could use the Nightforce 12-42x56 benchrest model sat at 20 X and 32X for a direct comparision ...... if you owned one.
You're up to 39 posts without this new user name being banned. Congratulations Larry.
Probably means you're senile Larry.

And a braggart as well.

As Larry said however a 12X difference should be easy to spot just looking through them by holding them in your hand.

Maybe it was converted back to 20X or the 32X scope was erroneously not included.
Holy flyin' hogchit, is that LR too? shocked

Gunner
To the OP, hope it works for you. Try to ignore the chatter that is all about self-aggrandizement and nothing to do with your question.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more help and wish to avoid the timewasters.
Laughable how you're trying to claim you're only here to "Help the membership".

"twister999"...Larry... Duane... Roger... Karen... Sybil... irregardless of the name you use, you're still the same old gender confused, paranoid delusional geriatric TROLL.

Extremely telling of your true "character" (lack there of) that you find it necessary to continually circumvent Rick Bin's wishes for you to be gone from his website by adding numerous screen names for the sole intent and purpose to TROLL a site where you are neither wanted nor offer ANYTHING of real use and value to the membership.

You live your pathetic excuse of an existence vicariously through Gun Rags and books and then claim and spew them as if it were first hand experience, yet it is something you've only read and never done. I'll grant you that you're a plethora of antiquated and useless knowledge.

You've been banned here multiple times and have multiple user names and even claim to be your wife from time to time! You've done the same thing on many other Forums, and have been banned from them as well ... (SnipersHide, Optics Talk, ARAIG, just to name a few...)

You have lied about being a "Fighter Pilot", combat service, heroism, etc. and were outed as the liar and despicable poser that you are.

You have to stroke your pathetic and imbecilic persona on the Internet as you've failed miserably at life and don't get the attention you crave at home... 70 years of useless existence and this is how you choose to make a name for yourself...

Utterly pathetic...
Oops, you are correct, I didn't open the safe and look at the scopes. I said Nightforce but I should have said this one.

http://www.valdada.com/scopes/benchrest-competition-scope/36x42-30mm-sf-benchrest-competition-scope

Anyway, the method will work regardless of my terrible error of not looking at my Nightforces and IORs. Probably means I own too many of each.

Heck you even could use the Nightforce 12-42x56 benchrest model sat at 20 X and 32X for a direct comparision ...... if you owned one.

Dont need that much glass, run a 2.5-10X24 and 5.5-22X56 Nightforces, and a pair of Leica 10-42 R/F Geovids for everything else.

Hey Rootman, don't you have a little pink blowup pig that's missing his ride on your lap this evening? LOL.

Gunner
This [bleep] is off the chain FOST. sick

Gunner
And FOST cannot seem to explain how all his "2012 visit to Pinedale" photos were taken in 2010.

Could he be a liar ? Not possible in the honorable company he keeps !

Gunner, why don't you go down to Norman and try and find Bricktop as the school has never heard of him. Start at the Jiffy Lube, they have a lot of process engineers there.
Oops, you are correct, I didn't open the safe and look at the scopes.

You mean you didn't open your internet "safe" to get pictures to put on the Fire. I've heard that's where you guns are stored... crazy

DF
And like sands through the hourglass............sick

Gunner

Now how can I bee frends wit ya twister, you already said i caint afford a purty NF scope. cry
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Oops, you are correct, I didn't open the safe and look at the scopes.

You mean you didn't open your internet "safe" to get pictures to put on the Fire. I've heard that's where you guns are stored... crazy

DF

LMAO DF.........BUSTED laugh

Gunner
Stomp your feet, gnash your dentures and swing that purse of yours oldmantrannydouche!

Since you so desperately want to talk about lies.... how about regaling us again with you heroic exploits during your 3 tours in 'Nam as a THUDS / F-105 "Fighter Pilot"??... Remember, loosing your friends over Red River....bunking with "Marine Snipers"... expert Marksman Badges with four different weapons... 600 and 1000 yard matches that you won while in the Air Force... your much claimed and touted combat service...

Absolutely riveting and fascinating tales! wink

Even more so since your DD214 didn't reflect ANY of those tall tales!

You were NOT a fighter pilot (nor any other type)
NO sniper action nor association
NO combat service
NO reflection of these so called qualifications with FOUR weapons
NO mention of these LR matches you supposedly won....

You were just a communications nerd assigned to the Autodin switch in Korat.

Wasn't enough to be truthful for once in your pathetic excuse for a life and just say you served honorably. You had to weave a fantastical tale of heroism in an attempt to impress others, and bolster your flagging ego.

You're a sad pathetic little shell of a man...

Don't hurt yourself swinging that purse! grin
The only part that's believable is him/she/it "bunking" with other men..
So are you or are you not Larry Root? yes or no will suffice and if you ARE, why do you insist on this sociopathic behavior? Again a simple yes or no will suffice. I hope I didn't overtask you..
The OP will have to excuse us for a spell, while we take care of some pressing business.

The Troll Toll on the Fire is becoming a drag, not too unlike trying to decide if something is a mandate, a penalty or a tax.

We know what this is, an infestation by vermin. And with this particular one, even Orkin has problems. This one morphs into another named pest before the Orkin man can get the correct potion mixed up to spray.

It's a problem, but not insurmountable. The bright light of truth always intimidates cockroaches and you can see them scurrying for cover as the light hits them.

So, bear with us. We'll get to your question after taking care of some urgent housecleaning.

DF

Originally Posted by jorgeI
So are you or are you not Larry Root? yes or no will suffice and if you ARE, why do you insist on this sociopathic behavior? Again a simple yes or no will suffice. I hope I didn't overtask you..

Jorge, good luck getting a straight answer.

This weasel doesn't deal in straight answers, as his contorted brain isn't geared up for anything logical or coherent.

But, I'm sure you knew all that already... smirk

DF
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
The only part that's believable is him/she/it "bunking" with other men..

laugh laugh
I do believe that part.

Jorge, expecting a truthful answer from Larry is only wishful thinking. Lies spill from his mouth with such ease even he doesn't know what the truth is any longer.
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Jorge, expecting a truthful answer from Larry is only wishful thinking. Lies spill from his mouth with such ease even he doesn't know what the truth is any longer.

No doubt!

The sheer lunacy and mind boggling incoherent rants that escapes from Larry's trembling fingers upon his keyboard is insane and so far fetched and of such volume, that he can't even begin to remember half the stupid crap he's posted.
That's how he trips up his "stories". He's getting too old and senile to be a good liar, because he forget the context of where he left off. That's why his stories are contradicting themselves.

One who tells the truth has only to remember the truth. It's so easy, but Larry's approach gets tedious and he ultimately ends up in a quagmire.

That's where we see him right now, squirming to free himself from the "tar baby" HE created.

DF
Posted By: Bricktop LARRY-F*CKING-ROOT!!!! - 07/06/12
Time to wrap it up, you worthless old piece-of-dogshit:

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/to8ssk/chappelle-s-show-wrap-it-up-
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: LARRY-F*CKING-ROOT!!!! - 07/06/12
I keep wondering why so many people just don't automatically hit "ignore" when this problem repeatedly crops up.

He's an obviuous troll, and yet the same Campfire members keep fulfilling his fantasies with their ranting posts. If they didn't, his reason for posting would disappear, and Campfire threads would actually convey information.
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: LARRY-F*CKING-ROOT!!!! - 07/06/12
John, it is sad to see you joining up with this bunch of serial liars who have no idea to whom they are speaking and are so terrified of Mr. Root that almost all their time is consumed in looking at posts trying to find another thread to pirate, more lies and slander to spread, yet never having the balls identify themselves or follow up on all their endless threats.

Given their level of intelligence, I doubt they even step up and buy the Wolfe magazines as we all do.

Your point on ignore is, of course, well taken. What you may be missing is they don't wish to ignore anyone. They wish to control the site and continue to drive people who know more than they, off the site.

I would have hoped the number of wild boldfaced lies would have raised some questions in your mind as well as their complete lack of financial support for other "good guy" members or site sponsors.

IF you examined Mr. Root's posts over the years and weeded out the ones that were only in RESPONSE to these morons you would find they "actually convey information."
Posted By: nsaqam Re: LARRY-F*CKING-ROOT!!!! - 07/06/12
Ken Umpierre
5747 St. Louis River Rd.
Hermantown MN 55810

(218) 628-0543

47 yo married father of three.

But you already knew all this didn't you Larry?

I've bought, sold, and given away more stuff here than you could ever dream of Larry.

Quit being such an obvious liar Larry. It is clear to EVERYONE that twister999 is you Larry.

Seek help for your serious mental illness.

Larry, where was your respect for JB when you emailed me this?

Emailed from [email protected], Larry Root's email address.

"The fact that they ALWAYS [bleep] on respected books and gun magazines while holding up a has been like John Barns (I prefer that spelling as it reflects how full of [bleep] he is) who can only get an occassional piece in the Rifleman, got canned from Wolfe and has never written a book that has sold 1000 copies, is a perfect and clear indication of the "we're in charge" keyboard bully mentality."

How about your respect for this site and the site owner Rick Bin when you sent me this email?

Also sent from the same email address as above.

"You and I both know I was banned because: a) Rick was too dense or lazy to actually look at the posts involved and took the easy way out OR b) The Bully Boys really run the site and he's their bitch."

I'd even be willing to give out my hotmail password to prove beyond anyone's doubt that everything I posted above is true.
I won't have to though because I'm not a liar like you are Larry and people here know this.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: LARRY-F*CKING-ROOT!!!! - 07/06/12
I should do you guys a freebie.

Gunner
Posted By: SandRat Re: LARRY-F*CKING-ROOT!!!! - 07/06/12
Pretty funny seeing Ol' Larry aka Rootmanslim aka Mr Humble that got perma-banned on snipershide a couple of years ago !!!! Couple of the guys just drove him over the edge and he self destructed.......

Me ? I'm still posting by my original handle......SANDRAT
Posted By: sandcritter Re: LARRY-F*CKING-ROOT!!!! - 07/06/12
Like stumbling upon mr twisted root sitting on a park bench? wink Be worth seeing that applecart upset.
You talkin about the old boy I caught with one hand on his heart and the other down his britches sittin' there watching the little girls playin' in the sandbox?

Gunner
Posted By: FOsteology Re: LARRY-F*CKING-ROOT!!!! - 07/06/12
Bye "twister999" "oldman1942" Larry Root. I hope the cyber door hit you on your old worthless azz on your way out.

I'm sure we'll be seeing you yet again under another screen name (like "mousemicky" & "longbored"). No matter, you're easy to spot. You're as inconspicuous as a tarantula on a slice of angel food cake...
Azz over teakettle, I say!
Bout gave that [bleep] a heart attack when I kicked the [bleep] outta that park bench and hollered "GET THE [bleep] UP U KOCK SUCKER"

Prolly cost the city 4 hunnert bucks to build a new park bench. blush LOL

Gunner
Posted By: nsaqam Re: LARRY-F*CKING-ROOT!!!! - 07/06/12
Seems twister wasn't very convincing as someone other than Larry Root!
Says the taxpayer about the park bench: "It was worth it."

Originally Posted by sandcritter
Says the taxpayer about the park bench: "It was worth it."

LOL SC, I still cant believe three mothers so involved in daily gossip that they had no clue there little girls were being visually raped by a perv on a bench not 15' away. crazy

Gunner
© 24hourcampfire